Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jasoraso
  • 1 Post By jasoraso
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    My Samsung S3 is dying and I am looking for an inexpensive replacement...

    FoxFi app works well with my S3 on the unlimited data plan..

    Can someone advise if FoxFi works with Moto X on Verizon or would I have to replace FoxFi to tether? If no tethering app is available with Moto X on Verizon's unlimited data, what other device options do I have?

    Any advice is greatly appreciated... cheers,
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    I know wifi tethering is broken by Kit Kat.

    I think you can still do wired and bluetooth tether when combined with pdanet.

    Sent from my Moto X
  3. #3  
    Flexia's Avatar

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    If you root though you can get WiFi tether to work

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Try the method shown here :


    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578410



    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Will it be helpful if I get the Developer's edition for the rooting process?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Quote Originally Posted by James Changstein View Post
    Will it be helpful if I get the Developer's edition for the rooting process?
    Yes, plus you get to keep your warranty.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Thanks - I think the Moto X dev edition is it....
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Not sure about Verizon's unlimited data but my X, (Dev GSM edition) on unlimited data shows an option to Tether in the wifi section. We are using it for a little over 2GB daily without the need of any other app to Tether.

    Before I realized it could do it without an app I installed several from the Play strore and all but one worked for me, I found that "Wifi Hotspot & USB Tether Lite" worked fine. It was not until I read somewhere on the Internet that I could use an internal app on the X, that I uninstalled that Tethering app, and used the built in one. I can't recall if one of them that I tried was foxfi or not, but most did not work.

    If you wish I can try installing foxfi and see if it works too. Lemme know,
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Thanks for your note; the rumour has it that Verizon blocked off the tethering ability for those on the Unlimited data plan on Moto X loaded with Android 4.4.. My Samsung S3 and FoxFi play well together but the S3 is dying... Hence my hunt for a replacement...

    But I got to make sure things work before I make the haste purchase...


    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    Not sure about Verizon's unlimited data but my X, (Dev GSM edition) on unlimited data shows an option to Tether in the wifi section. We are using it for a little over 2GB daily without the need of any other app to Tether.

    Before I realized it could do it without an app I installed several from the Play strore and all but one worked for me, I found that "Wifi Hotspot & USB Tether Lite" worked fine. It was not until I read somewhere on the Internet that I could use an internal app on the X, that I uninstalled that Tethering app, and used the built in one. I can't recall if one of them that I tried was foxfi or not, but most did not work.

    If you wish I can try installing foxfi and see if it works too. Lemme know,
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    OK, just installed foxfi an got a message "carrier has blocked wifi mode use BT or USB"

    That is not correct as the Tether app I mentioned worked OK as does the internal app. BUT this is NOT Verizon.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Thanks for going through the trouble.. I went ahead and bought a Moto X Dev Edition anyways,, need to have a new one before the S3 really bites the dust...

    are you running Kitkat? KitKat blocks off the WiFi sharing on a lot of phones, including the MotoX, but the work around is supposedly the USB / Bluetooth tethering.. which I have to live with...

    Thanks again!

    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    OK, just installed foxfi an got a message "carrier has blocked wifi mode use BT or USB"

    That is not correct as the Tether app I mentioned worked OK as does the internal app. BUT this is NOT Verizon.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    I have the VZW Dev Moto X. After unlocking the bootloader; flashing TWRP to Recovery; using recovery to flash root binaries; updating the binaries on the play store; installing Xposed; and then installing an xposed module (see the app section on XDA forum) > I can wifi tether to my hearts content.

    On a trip this weekend, my daughter burned 1.5 gb watching netflix on her chromebook while tethered to my Moto X.

    (I'm actually using a 4.4.2 rom right now that already has wifi tether enabled, so I didn't need the xposed workaround, but the xposed worked fine for me last week).
    Quote Originally Posted by James Changstein View Post
    Thanks for going through the trouble.. I went ahead and bought a Moto X Dev Edition anyways,, need to have a new one before the S3 really bites the dust...

    are you running Kitkat? KitKat blocks off the WiFi sharing on a lot of phones, including the MotoX, but the work around is supposedly the USB / Bluetooth tethering.. which I have to live with...

    Thanks again!
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Quote Originally Posted by James Changstein View Post
    are you running Kitkat? KitKat blocks off the WiFi sharing on a lot of phones, including the MotoX, but the work around is supposedly the USB / Bluetooth tethering
    Yup, 4.4.2 but I do not need any work around. It was only foxfi that complained about no Tethering. The internal Tethering was and still is working fine for unlimited data. In fact I am using it now. Not sure why foxfi thinks it is blocked.

    I am punishing the phone data to see how much we use in a month just in case we lose the unlimited then I will know what fixed-ceiling package we would need. Hopefully the unlimited will stay, but it is prepaid and no guarantee after each month.

    Forgot to mention, phone is stock standard, nothing unlocked, rooted etc other than the way the Dev came.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    What I didn't make it clear is that I am on Verizon Network, hoping that tethering works with the Developer's Edition Moto X without having to do anything 'fancy'...

    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    I am punishing the phone data to see how much we use in a month just in case we lose the unlimited then I will know what fixed-ceiling package we would need. Hopefully the unlimited will stay, but it is prepaid and no guarantee after each month.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    are you on Verizon's unlimited data plan as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
    I have the VZW Dev Moto X. After unlocking the bootloader; flashing TWRP to Recovery; using recovery to flash root binaries; updating the binaries on the play store; installing Xposed; and then installing an xposed module (see the app section on XDA forum) > I can wifi tether to my hearts content.

    On a trip this weekend, my daughter burned 1.5 gb watching netflix on her chromebook while tethered to my Moto X.

    (I'm actually using a 4.4.2 rom right now that already has wifi tether enabled, so I didn't need the xposed workaround, but the xposed worked fine for me last week).
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Yes, I'm on VZW w/ Unlimited.

    On Verizon, the Moto X dev phone comes with the SAME software (and bloatware) as the carrier version. On the back of my moto x, I have both the Verizon logo AND the "Developer Edition".

    With the bloatware etc, the phone comes with an apk installed that checks with VZW to see if you are authorized to use the wifi thether. There are 3 ways I've seen for VZW / dev phones to get around this:
    1 - replace .apk with a hacked .apk that no longer checks (or ignores the reply from VZW) to see if you are authorized. This requires you to have root. You must check permissions etc to get the .apk replaced properly (I haven't tried this method).
    2 - install xposed and the moto x module that bypasses the .apk's check for permission. This method worked well for me a non-dev, 4.4 rooted w/ system write protection disabled. The coming update to 4.4.2 will apparently re-enable the system-write protection and make this method more difficult for a non-dev phone.
    3 - run a rom that isn't a VZW based rom. I am currently running a 4.4.2 rom that doesn't have the .apk that checks with VZW for tethering. This method works great if you have dev phone (maybe it would work on a non-dev phone using safestrap, but the phone would need to be updated to 4.4.2 so that the kernel would be correct?).

    With a dev phone on VZW, you still need to jump through a few hoops (unlocking bootloader, rooting, etc)., but it is pretty easy to get wifi tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Changstein View Post
    are you on Verizon's unlimited data plan as well?
    Ryan760 likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Thanks for the detailed explanation.. I was being cautious with my wording because I have seen posts on XDA where people were able to use VZW Edition on T-Mobile and this is coupled by others who claim that only Unlimited Data Plans on VZW cause troubles in tethering.. So I wanted to make sure we are on the same wavelength...

    Is the ROM in option #3 easy to install? I am computer literate, but haven't really worked on phones....

    Cheers,


    Quote Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
    Yes, I'm on VZW w/ Unlimited.

    On Verizon, the Moto X dev phone comes with the SAME software (and bloatware) as the carrier version. On the back of my moto x, I have both the Verizon logo AND the "Developer Edition".

    With the bloatware etc, the phone comes with an apk installed that checks with VZW to see if you are authorized to use the wifi thether. There are 3 ways I've seen for VZW / dev phones to get around this:
    1 - replace .apk with a hacked .apk that no longer checks (or ignores the reply from VZW) to see if you are authorized. This requires you to have root. You must check permissions etc to get the .apk replaced properly (I haven't tried this method).
    2 - install xposed and the moto x module that bypasses the .apk's check for permission. This method worked well for me a non-dev, 4.4 rooted w/ system write protection disabled. The coming update to 4.4.2 will apparently re-enable the system-write protection and make this method more difficult for a non-dev phone.
    3 - run a rom that isn't a VZW based rom. I am currently running a 4.4.2 rom that doesn't have the .apk that checks with VZW for tethering. This method works great if you have dev phone (maybe it would work on a non-dev phone using safestrap, but the phone would need to be updated to 4.4.2 so that the kernel would be correct?).

    With a dev phone on VZW, you still need to jump through a few hoops (unlocking bootloader, rooting, etc)., but it is pretty easy to get wifi tethering.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Quote Originally Posted by James Changstein View Post
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.. I was being cautious with my wording because I have seen posts on XDA where people were able to use VZW Edition on T-Mobile and this is coupled by others who claim that only Unlimited Data Plans on VZW cause troubles in tethering.. So I wanted to make sure we are on the same wavelength...

    Is the ROM in option #3 easy to install? I am computer literate, but haven't really worked on phones....

    Cheers,
    Yes, it isn't too difficult. Once you have your phone "unlocked", flashing a rom is very simple, and only takes a few minutes, although setting up the phone afterwards can take a bit of time

    It can be tricky to choose a rom that works for a VZW device. I am running this rom: [ROM] [4.4.2] MOTO X [XT1052] [07 feb] [Deodexed & Odexed rom 4.4.2] - xda-developers. If you read through the thread, you will see a few VZW users that also use that rom. There was one extraordinary step because the rom isn't a VZW rom - replacing the "build.prop" file in the .zip file with one that is based on VZW (that only involved opening the .zip file on my computer and dragging the replacement build.prop file into the .zip file and telling it to replace the old one).

    The initial steps to unlock the bootloader can be a little intimidating depending on your computer background (there are some programs and device drivers you will need to install to your PC that enable you to communicate with the phone to "unlock" the bootloader, and then replace the recovery). Once those steps are done, flashing the ROM is quick and easy (the actual flashing process took about 5 minutes - which is much longer than other phones I have had though).

    You should be able to find some youtube videos to help walk you through the bootloader unlock process, or there are threads on XDA that detail the steps.

    With a developer phone on Motorola, the slight risk of "bricking" your phone (making the phone unbootable) is offset by the warranty still being in effect (that isn't the case on other phones, including other motorolas).
    Thanked by:
    Ryan760 likes this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Moto X on Verizon, tethering on unlimited data plan

    Cheers!!

    I can't wait for the Moto X DE to arrive....

    best,

    Quote Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
    Yes, it isn't too difficult. Once you have your phone "unlocked", flashing a rom is very simple, and only takes a few minutes, although setting up the phone afterwards can take a bit of time

    It can be tricky to choose a rom that works for a VZW device. I am running this rom: [ROM] [4.4.2] MOTO X [XT1052] [07 feb] [Deodexed & Odexed rom 4.4.2] - xda-developers. If you read through the thread, you will see a few VZW users that also use that rom. There was one extraordinary step because the rom isn't a VZW rom - replacing the "build.prop" file in the .zip file with one that is based on VZW (that only involved opening the .zip file on my computer and dragging the replacement build.prop file into the .zip file and telling it to replace the old one).

    The initial steps to unlock the bootloader can be a little intimidating depending on your computer background (there are some programs and device drivers you will need to install to your PC that enable you to communicate with the phone to "unlock" the bootloader, and then replace the recovery). Once those steps are done, flashing the ROM is quick and easy (the actual flashing process took about 5 minutes - which is much longer than other phones I have had though).

    You should be able to find some youtube videos to help walk you through the bootloader unlock process, or there are threads on XDA that detail the steps.

    With a developer phone on Motorola, the slight risk of "bricking" your phone (making the phone unbootable) is offset by the warranty still being in effect (that isn't the case on other phones, including other motorolas).

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus 7 (1st generation) stuck on start up
    By Owen Morris in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 01:18 AM
  2. Thinking about making the switch from Verizon to Sprint
    By WildCatBBN3 in forum Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-22-2014, 02:44 AM
  3. Bluetooth turning off and not being able to turn back on.
    By HTCTundaBow in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 02:51 PM
  4. VM Supreme. How to disable sound on camera and power-on animation
    By guard79 in forum Other ZTE Android Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 06:30 PM
  5. how to enable usb tethering on virgin mobile rise
    By lichborn in forum Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 04:46 PM

Posting Permissions