VZW Moto X developer edition on networks other than verizon...

James Changstein

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Looks like my search for a replacement phone is over... but I got one lingering question...

The Specs on the Verizon developer's edition is rather spectacular, while I am no technical experts, I would love input from someone with experiences using the Verizon Developer's edition on other network? Is it feasible?

I travel internationally often and hate to switch phones because the CDMA doesnt' work with other GSM netowrks...

I have heard that it will work with T-mobile in the US - how about AT&T, or overseas?

Thanks again!!

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: Moto X developer's edition, on networks other than verizon...

Aren't there 2 different DE's, a CDMA one and a GSM one? My GSM one will work on at&t and T-Mobile.

Posted via Android Central App

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

That's correct....I am using the Dev edition on T-Mobile, but I could easily use it on AT&T.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Looks like my search for a replacement phone is over... but I got one lingering question...

The Specs on the Verizon developer's edition is rather spectacular, while I am no technical experts, I would love input from someone with experiences using the Verizon Developer's edition on other network? Is it feasible?

I travel internationally often and hate to switch phones because the CDMA doesnt' work with other GSM netowrks...

I have heard that it will work with T-mobile in the US - how about AT&T, or overseas?

Thanks again!!

Are you a current Verizon customer?

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I'll just mention that for the last 18 months or so, I believe every VZW 4g phone has been sim unlocked, and I haven't heard of any issues where they DIDN'T work well overseas. They even work marginally well on AT&T or T-Mobile. 4g/LTE may not work on every network, but 2g and voice shouldn't have a problem. I have also seen an issue where enabling LTE on a VZW moto X may cause problems with the phone/dialing, but disabling the LTE/4G setting fixes this (I think I saw this issue with a VZW Moto X on T-Mobile).

One other possible issue is that not many phones out there use the nano-sim card yet - so that may cause an issue in getting a compatible card from the carrier of choice.

James Changstein

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Yes, my S3 was also SIM-unlocked but, probably because of the radio band issue, the S3 will only carry voice but data connection is non-existent during my international travels. ( 90% of them are GSM overseas). I use AT&T as benchmark, if it works with AT&T, it will work elsewhere in the world.

I haven't compared the S3 to the Moto X DE, but I think Moto X is the best deal for my needs now.. It will work at home fine and it might be able to pick up data connections while travelling abroad makes it a bargain... I am hoping I don't need two phones any more...

Cheers,

I'll just mention that for the last 18 months or so, I believe every VZW 4g phone has been sim unlocked, and I haven't heard of any issues where they DIDN'T work well overseas. They even work marginally well on AT&T or T-Mobile. 4g/LTE may not work on every network, but 2g and voice shouldn't have a problem. I have also seen an issue where enabling LTE on a VZW moto X may cause problems with the phone/dialing, but disabling the LTE/4G setting fixes this (I think I saw this issue with a VZW Moto X on T-Mobile).

One other possible issue is that not many phones out there use the nano-sim card yet - so that may cause an issue in getting a compatible card from the carrier of choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton