Not sure about issues I'm having with new AT&T Moto X

ecb1171

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I originally purchased the Moto X when it first came out. After using it for awhile I loved the Moto features that actually enhanced the stock Android experience. I wasn't happy with the camera and the rest of my family uses iPhones, so I switched to the iPhone 5s when it came out. After a few months of living with the many issues that seem to be unique to the 5s I went back and purchased another Moto X from AT&T about a week ago.

The difference between my original Moto X and the new one is night and day. Where I had almost no issues with my original Moto X, I've got several with this one and I'm trying to determine if I've got a defective device or if these issues are simply software issues. I got rid of my original Moto X right after 4.4 came out so I didn't use it long enough to be able to compare both phones on 4.4.

Here are the issues I have:

1) Battery life is absolutely horrible -- I think this has to do with 4.4, but I'd say that it's a little more than half the battery life I got from my original Moto X (under the same user load). The worst use case seems to be standby battery life (rather than heavy use) The biggest culprit is that the Android OS seems to take anywhere from 25 - 50% of my battery life. I had read that the issue could be that setting the Wifi to always stay alive could cause issues so I changed with Wifi to never stay alive when the phone is sleeping and I shut off the option to allow apps to scan wifi when wifi is off. I just did my 3rd factory reset and I have minimal apps running in an attempt to make sure there is not a rogue app causing an issue but I researched enough to say that this could be a 4.4 issue (which hopefully will be resolved when AT&T releases the 4.4.2 update)

2) Bluetooth stack issues -- The minor issue is that that MAP implementation under 4.4 is different than 4.2. Specifically, I can only see texts with 4.4 while I used to be able to see texts and emails from the stock email app (I forget if I could see emails from the Gmail app) The bigger problem is that when I listen to Podcasts, there is a pretty bad buzzing/ringing/feedback sound. I'm not an audiophile at all (hence my poor description of the sound) but some podcasts are worse than others and some podcast apps are worse than others. I don't think it's an app issue and it could be a compatibility issue with my car (2014 BMW with iDrive) but this was definitely not an issues with 4.2

3) My original Moto X had fantastic reception but my new one is not as good. Not only does it seem to drop from LTE to 4G more quickly than my iPhone 5s but I had a few dropped calls in areas that I shouldn't drop a call.

4) Gmail delivery is slow some times. This has to just be the Gmail application but, at times, it's several minutes behind my iPhone 5s (as far as notifications go) The delay seems to be random, but I'm testing more to see if I can find a pattern.

The battery life issue is the worst and, quite frankly, is keeping me from using the phone when I'm not going to be by a charger for more than a few hours. My instinct is that the phone is not defective and the issue lies more with 4.4. However, I'm up against my return period with AT&T and I don't think that 4.4.2 will be released by the end of this week for me to confirm if that resolves my issues.

Has anyone had similar issues that were resolved by replacing the phone ?

Thanks in advance for any information provided !

Saukrateaz

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried resetting the phone? I know its a pain, but could help.
I have great reception with my Moto x and the battery life is on par with most other devices ive had recently. Not better or worse since Kit Kat update.
The gmail application has been a bit buggy lately so that could be the issue there.I rarely use my bluetooth to answer on that issue. I will say that my bluetooth streaming does NOT have any buzzing sounds.
I know im not offering any potential fixes or insight, just stating my experience with the specific things youre having issues with.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I would return it and get a new one. Once outside the return period you have fewer options. If you are going to rest you might as well have a new device to do it on.

Posted via Android Central App

ecb1171

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried resetting the phone? I know its a pain, but could help.
I have great reception with my Moto x and the battery life is on par with most other devices ive had recently. Not better or worse since Kit Kat update.
The gmail application has been a bit buggy lately so that could be the issue there.I rarely use my bluetooth to answer on that issue. I will say that my bluetooth streaming does NOT have any buzzing sounds.
I know im not offering any potential fixes or insight, just stating my experience with the specific things youre having issues with.

I appreciate the input ! I have done a factory reset on the Moto X 3 times to start with a clean slate and narrow down the issues. Good to know that you have good bluetooth as well !

ecb1171

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what were your problems with the iPhone 5s?

The main issues I had were the following:

1) The 5s has pretty bad memory management issues with the 64 bit processor. The phone crashes on a regular basis. It's not a full crash (I believe the actual result is a reboot of the launcher) but it kills anything you are doing.

2) The touch id fingerprint sensor is very flakey. It worked flawlessly out of the box and then got progressively worse. You can get back to that initial state by deleting the fingerprints saved and retraining but, at that point, it's not really worth using. Right now, I'd say I get a 60 - 70% success rate using touch id (I'd drop it down to 50 - 60% for success on the first try)

3) Apps crash more on the 5s. I don't have any imperial data to quantify this, just experience with other iphones.

My wife has an iPhone 5 and it's stable as a rock so I believe most of these issues are growing pains with the new 64 bit processor. Supposedly, 7.1 (which comes out in March ) will fix the crashing issue but the biggest thing I've always liked about iOS is it's stability. Without that, iOS doesn't really hold a candle to Android as far as functionality goes.

ecb1171

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I would return it and get a new one. Once outside the return period you have fewer options. If you are going to rest you might as well have a new device to do it on.

I'm leaning towards that direction. I started up a few apps last night to see the battery drain overnight (when the phone is doing absolutely nothing) I even installed Battery Defender to try and get more info. The overnight results were horrible. My battery life dropped from about 92% to 18% in close to 9 hours with the phone doing absolutely nothing. I've attached screenshots showing the battery life. There's no way this can be "normal" or caused by an app or a setting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-25-06-25-37.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-25-06-25-37.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_2014-02-25-06-25-21.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-25-06-25-21.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 35

Saukrateaz

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
That is a substantial battery drain overnight. time to exchange it my friend. Overnight I see MAYBE a 10% battery drain when the phone is doing nothing. Thats with no sleep mode activated, all apps pushing and wifi on.

zach471

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a Moto X on 4.4.2 with my 2014 iDrive, as well. I'm having spotty luck with SMS integration, and zero luck with emails. For the original poster, do you have working email integration?

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been in 4.4.2 for several weeks now (GSM unlocked)

Battery drain is night and day. I lose about 2-3 percent over 8hrs of Idle with everything on (BT, wifi, gps)

Hang tight. It will get better. I believe some of the bluetooth is fixed also. The camera was the biggest improvement along with Idle drain in 4.4.2 imo

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
The main issues I had were the following:

1) The 5s has pretty bad memory management issues with the 64 bit processor. The phone crashes on a regular basis. It's not a full crash (I believe the actual result is a reboot of the launcher) but it kills anything you are doing.

2) The touch id fingerprint sensor is very flakey. It worked flawlessly out of the box and then got progressively worse. You can get back to that initial state by deleting the fingerprints saved and retraining but, at that point, it's not really worth using. Right now, I'd say I get a 60 - 70% success rate using touch id (I'd drop it down to 50 - 60% for success on the first try)

3) Apps crash more on the 5s. I don't have any imperial data to quantify this, just experience with other iphones.

My wife has an iPhone 5 and it's stable as a rock so I believe most of these issues are growing pains with the new 64 bit processor. Supposedly, 7.1 (which comes out in March ) will fix the crashing issue but the biggest thing I've always liked about iOS is it's stability. Without that, iOS doesn't really hold a candle to Android as far as functionality goes.

I use both Android and iOS. Latest iOS update (7.1) has fixed crashing issue.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
OP you should probably get your Moto X replaced. It sounds like you have something going on with it. That is pretty bad battery drain if it was just sitting there. With 4.4.2 my Moto X battery only drains 3-4% over night.

Also in response to your issue number 4; It's my experience that all notifications come through on my iPhone faster than my Moto X (same with Nexus 7). Every single one of them. Often it can even be a few minutes of delay. The only one that is pretty close consistently on delivery is Outlook.com email delivered to the stock email apps on each device.

Finally on your iPhone 5s issues, iOS 7.1 has really cleaned things up if you still have your iPhone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia