Can I charge phone while PC is in sleep mode...

nullsteph

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I've set bios options for USB, and unchecked the USB root hubs to no longer allow it to turn off devices, but nothing works. I'm beginning to wonder if this is even possible with this phone. I swear my Galaxy S2 (flashed ROM) worked this way, and I have one device that shows its charging when the computer is asleep or even off, just not the Motox.

Is there a way to do this? Do I need an app, or maybe a particular ROM? Is this a limitation of the Android OS?

Any info is appreciated.

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Here are the steps to get your external device (USB) charged even when the computer is in sleep mode
a. Click Start -> in the start search field type: Device Manager, press enter.
If you are prompted for access either press continue or supply the necessary username and password.
b. When Device Manager opens, expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers category.
c. Here you will see several USB Root Hub listings, for each right-click and select Properties.
d. In the properties window, click Power Management.
e. Uncheck ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’, click OK.
Repeat the same steps for all the other USB Root Hub entries.
also
Check Power options, Advanced settings - change plan settings, change advanced power settings, usb settings, usb selective suspend setting, and change to disabled

nullsteph

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info.
I've gone through all the steps before, and it allows other devices to charge, just not the Motox. I'm guessing this is something to do with the phone's OS.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I think it is depended on the feature of the PC mobo, nothing to do with the phone. If there is electricity coming out of that USB port to charge other phones, then it should for the Moto X.

Sometimes the Moto X battery indicator will not show that it is charging, even though it is. To really make sure it is, open the QuickSettings menu by swiping down the status bar with two fingers. The battery tile will say if it's charging or not.

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info.
I've gone through all the steps before, and it allows other devices to charge, just not the Motox. I'm guessing this is something to do with the phone's OS.

Not the OS, also try using another USB port on the laptop to see if the port is the problem, and use another USB cable, I have had some cables go bad on me before.

Note: charging via USB cable from a computer will not be enough to revive a battery that has run down enough that the phone turns itself off. When that happens, you should use the wall adapter and cable that came with the device in order to get things going. Motorolas can be picky on chargers/cords. Always use the one that came with your phone. When you plug in does a pop up come up saying that device drivers are being downloaded?

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I've read on other threads about their X's not showing charging when it really is charging. Seems to be if the power output is low, like some car chargers or wireless charging pads. Usually a computer USB port won't put out the same amps as from an outlet charger. If you find the time try leaving it plugged into the computer while it is asleep and leave it for a couple hours and see if it charges or not. Or maybe you already did this?

FlameEcks

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a Moto G 4GLTE and I'm also wondering why the phone doesn't charge when my PC is off. It charges my samsung galaxy S2 no problem but the Moto G doesn't. Is this a common thing for Motorola phones?

Don Woodcock

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a Moto G 4GLTE and I'm also wondering why the phone doesn't charge when my PC is off. It charges my samsung galaxy S2 no problem but the Moto G doesn't. Is this a common thing for Motorola phones?

I'm having the same issue with my Moto G LTE. When my PC goes into Sleep mode it stops charging. But, if I unplug the USB cable and then reconnect it, it starts charging again. I didn't have this issue with my older Nexus as it charged with no issues when the pc was in sleep mode. My wife's iPhone has no problem charging either. I've posted on the Motorola forums too but with no help there.
I think it is a "Phone" issue and not something wrong with your USB ports. Hopefully, Motorola will find a solution and address this at a future date...