02-26-2014 08:14 PM
    ...before battery life and lagginess make it unusable

My last android ics started snappy and over time the lag became too much (like windows where you need a clean install) - is that a trait - though my wife has same model phone with much less usage that is still plugging away fine.
    02-26-2014 11:16 AM
    I don't think that'll happen with any of the newer android handsets because of trim. As for the moto X I've had mine about a month and it's fresh like it came out the box no last whatsoever

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry, davidnc and ShlomoX like this.
    02-26-2014 11:52 AM
    I never had this problem with my previous Android phones (HTC Hero and HTC Amaze). No issues with my Moto X so far either and been using it since December. Ive only turned it off to update the software lol.

02-26-2014 12:48 PM
    I never had this problem with my previous Android phones (HTC Hero and HTC Amaze). No issues with my Moto X so far either and been using it since December. Ive only turned it off to update the software lol.

In all honesty, I think you tricked yourself into not seeing it on those phones.
    02-26-2014 12:54 PM
    ...before battery life and lagginess make it unusable

My last android ics started snappy and over time the lag became too much (like windows where you need a clean install) - is that a trait - though my wife has same model phone with much less usage that is still plugging away fine.
    Based on this from Anandtech, I doubt we'll see the Moto X become "laggy". AnandTech | Moto X Review
    davidnc and ShlomoX like this.
    02-26-2014 12:57 PM
    All batteries have a finite life but it should be fine for two years unless you're going through charge cycles like a madman. Lag should not be a problem because the Moto X uses an F2FS file system for its internal data storage.

AnandTech | Moto X Review
    02-26-2014 01:01 PM
    My guess is 18 months.
    I'm assuming that I will get the itch for a newer phone before performance is impacted enough that I really "need" one.
    02-26-2014 01:38 PM
    My guess is 18 months.
    I'm assuming that I will get the itch for a newer phone before performance is impacted enough that I really "need" one.
    What he ^ said. Think the Motorola Nexus flip-phone "flex screen" will woo me before a needed replacement.
    02-26-2014 02:29 PM
    I haven't had any lag in my Moto X either. Almost 3 months since I snagged it up.
    02-26-2014 02:32 PM
    I'm estimating 217 days, 6 hours, and 13 minutes before my phone becomes completely unusable.
    02-26-2014 02:45 PM
    In all honesty, I think you tricked yourself into not seeing it on those phones.
    Well the Hero was always slow and only became usable after throwing a Gingerbread ROM on it. The Amaze didnt have this problem on the stock ROM only custom ones. On the other hand my Nexus 7 (2012) gets sluggish after a few months and the only cure is a factory reset.

But the battery life and performance have remained constant on my Moto X, same goes for my gf's X.

02-26-2014 03:05 PM
    I'm estimating 217 days, 6 hours, and 13 minutes before my phone becomes completely unusable.
    Put me down for the over lol...

Understand the itch to upgrade but aside just wondering if the x and android can keep on ticking - thoroughbred or warhorse.

Appreciate the anandtech review, i'm probably misreading but the anti-lag pronouncement appeared to be for near full storage usage, a pretty specific use case. With app installs/uninstalls, internet surfing etc. does android or iOS have a propensity to slow over time or even slow to a crawl. This was my last experience and wondering if this is to be expected.
    02-26-2014 03:14 PM
    After some time, it'd be good to do a factory reset.

There are so many apps you still keep on your phone "just in case." A factory reset is a chance to do a cleanup.
    DougW likes this.
    02-26-2014 04:29 PM
    I expect to use this thing until I can't for whatever reason, and possibly changing out the battery when necessary. Can't imagine "upgrading" any time soon.

Of course this is coming from someone who until a couple of weeks ago was using a Palm Centro feature phone for the last few months, and a Katana flip phone for years before that. But still, can't imagine what would drive me to get a different phone any time in the next few years.
    02-26-2014 05:47 PM
    I term of battery life, I would say somewhere after 500 full charge cycles, then replacing the batter could help, but a lithium battery can go to 1000 cycles.

In term of lagginess, never, as long as you know how to manage the phone.
    02-26-2014 08:14 PM