Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SmithlandCart
  • 1 Post By jasoraso
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Moto X DE: 4.4.2 - WiFi tether

Just got my Developer Edition X and did the OTA 4.4.2 update. I know I'll have to unlock the bootloader, then root to use something like Foxfi to WiFi tether.

- Verizon, unlimited data
    - Only rooting to tether my data

I am new to this so can anyone help with the exact steps I'll need to do this?

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-27-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Default Re: Verizon DE 4.4.2 - WiFi tether

My motomaker moto x is not rooted; so, I can't give you the instructions you want. Considering the dev of pdaNet said that Verizon phones cannot use wifi tethering anymore, I hope your rooted phone has better results than the rest of us have had. We're stuck with bluetooth only, which isn't fast upstream or downstream.

I ended up subscribing to the tethering service (need it for work).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r)

Quote Originally Posted by slackermvp View Post
    Just got my Developer Edition X and did the OTA 4.4.2 update. I know I'll have to unlock the bootloader, then root to use something like Foxfi to WiFi tether.

- Verizon, unlimited data
    - Only rooting to tether my data

I am new to this so can anyone help with the exact steps I'll need to do this?
    FoxFi WiFi tether hasn't worked since KitKat 4.4. Easiest way to WiFi tether for free is to install the Xposed Moto Tether module.

Unlock your bootloader first, then root with TWRP and SuperSU. Then install the Xposed framework, then install the Moto Tether module. You are good to go at that point.

You should consider installing the Xposed Gravity Box module, too. Easy way to make some customization, like battery percentage and my favorite, twist your wrist once to flip the phone face pointing down to send a caller to voice mail.

Don't forget to make a Nandroid backup.
    Thanked by 2:
    jasoraso and Ryan760 like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you for that!

Here's the steps I would follow:

1-unlock bootloader (this will wipe the phone)
    2-install twrp recovery (make sure you get 2.6.3.1 or 2.6.3.2 that is compatible with 4.4.2) from fastboot
    3-after installing twrp > boot immediately from fastboot (the volume down button to highlight recovery, volume up button is then used to select the selection)
    4-make a backup
    5-exit twrp > it will prompt to install superuser
    6-boot into system and setup phone (if you didn't do this between step 1&2)

Now that you have root, you have 3 options:
    - install xposed, and the moto tether module for xposed > this will let you use the built-in tethering program. If you go this route, I would also suggest you take a look at the gravitybox module for xposed > it lets you adjust many settings that you normally would only have in a custom rom

- use the wifi tether app (reports are that wifi_tether_v3_4-experimental.apk works with 4.4.2)

- in xda you can find a replacement .apk to replace in that will modify the built in tether app so that it doesn't check with VZW to see if you have their permission to tether. Note that you should make a backup of the .apk before you replace it; and make sure you set the permissions properly

My personal preference is the xposed module.
    Thanked by 2:
    slackermvp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
    4-make a backup
    5-exit twrp > it will prompt to install superuser
    why make a nandroid before installing SuperSU?

Quote Originally Posted by SmithlandCart View Post
    why make a nandroid before installing SuperSU?
    It certainly isn't necessary, but a nandroid of a fresh, clean system is often useful.

I'll often make a nandroid of a fresh system, then once I get everything set up the way I like it, make another (and possibly erase the first at that point).

Default Re: Verizon Moto X DE: 4.4.2 - WiFi tether

I can confirm that the experimental 3.4 wifi tether works like a champ, xt1053 unlocked bootloader, twrp 2.7,supersu1.91,stock 4.4.2 OTA

I'm so daft when it comes to rooting. Anyone live in Austin that wants a few bucks and knows how without bricking?

I can confirm that the experimental 3.4 wifi tether works like a champ, xt1053 unlocked bootloader, twrp 2.7,supersu1.91,stock 4.4.2 OTA
    I was able to get android-wifi-tether 4.3-experimental working on my rooted Verizon Moto X Developer Edition as well (stock 4.4.2 firmware). Here are the settings I am using to make it work:

Device Profile: "Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)"
    Setup Method: "Netd-Ndc (master)"
    Set Netd Max Client Cmd: Unchecked
    Send No Tether-Interface Cmd: Checked
    Channel: 9 (I'm sure others work fine)
    Don't Disable Bluetooth: Unchecked
    WiFi-driver reload: Checked
    WiFi-driver reload 2: Checked
    Routing Fix: Checked

Quote Originally Posted by lt_red View Post
    I was able to get android-wifi-tether 4.3-experimental working on my rooted Verizon Moto X Developer Edition as well (stock 4.4.2 firmware). Here are the settings I am using to make it work:

Device Profile: "Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)"
    Setup Method: "Netd-Ndc (master)"
    Set Netd Max Client Cmd: Unchecked
    Send No Tether-Interface Cmd: Checked
    Channel: 9 (I'm sure others work fine)
    Don't Disable Bluetooth: Unchecked
    WiFi-driver reload: Checked
    WiFi-driver reload 2: Checked
    Routing Fix: Checked
    Is this still working on 4.4.4? I setup my Moto X Dev with all the same settings above and my bandwidth on the tethered devices are all less than 1Meg down...
    Let me know.
    Tom