Motorola: Google had No Influence on the Moto X or G

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It want the login it was the skin itself. I remember fondly from my Engadget days people foaming at the mouth about the Motoblur skin.

Posted via Android Central App

I don't remember sites making a big deal about the ones that didn't have a Blur login. IMO Blur got "better" (less intrusive) as Android got better.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember sites making a big deal about the ones that didn't have a Blur login. IMO Blur got "better" (less intrusive) as Android got better.

That's because they started a move towards stock. If they would have kept the skin people would have made a hoopla about it like they did with touchwiz as time went on.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So should I out my sources here just to prove to you how cool I am? lol!

You act like people are being unreasonable asking for proof to back up your claims other than your word, is it really that unreasonable? What if journalists acted the same way (of course the way things are today, I wonder if they don't do that)? You may be right, but without facts to backup your story, it's no more credible than if someone says the president makes his decisions based on tarot cards.

Motorola was doing non removable batteries before the Google buyout, it's not unreasonable to assume that they dropped SD cards for reasons other than Google. When they have to prepare an update, an SD card adds to the work, which means slowing down the rollout date. Plus with no SD card, it makes stepping up to the next model with more storage space more necessary, which means more money for them. SD cards can be bought from anyone, moving up to the next tier in storage means the money goes to Motorola. Plus not having an SD card slot means one less thing to troubleshoot and warranty if it goes bad. Even though I don't like it, the only benefit the OEM sees by offering an SD card is a small group of people want it. While Samsung does offer them and scoops up those buyers who absolutely need one, that's not why they're currently the top dog. A huge marketing budget and the exposure from the Apple lawsuit is what's propelled them to the top. The everyday customer sees that Apple is suing them because they're supposedly stealing customers by offering a similar experience to their iPhone, and those customers give them a second look. I've had most of my friends who aren't into phones at all ask me what I think of Samsung's phones, but only after the publicity of the lawsuit. Like they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

But if what you're saying is true, then why did HTC and LG bring out flagship phones this year without SD cards? If you're right, how did Google strongarm them into abandoning them?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Motorola was doing non removable batteries before the Google buyout, it's not unreasonable to assume that they dropped SD cards for reasons other than Google.

I don't have any proof either, but it has been well publicized that Microsoft make money through patent royalties from Android. This may be related to the FAT patent issues seen in the Microsoft v TomTom. I believe the reasons Google don't want to use SDcard isn't due to just integration and security issues and cloud services, it's also to not step into this dangerous territory.

If it's true that Samsung pay Microsoft a certain cost per device sold, then it's understandable Google don't want them to include this feature.

Take what I said with a grain of salt, but you can Google for "Microsoft android patent royalties".

sent via tapatalk

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what happens to that team now that Lenovo owns them.

Good to know because honestly I figure the whole touchless control was Google's.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what happens to that team now that Lenovo owns them.

Good to know because honestly I figure the whole touchless control was Google's.

I doubt touch less controls was Google. If that was true they could have implemented it in the Nexus 5.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I doubt touch less controls was Google. If that was true they could have implemented it in the Nexus 5.

Well that is what I always wondered why it wasn't in the Nexus 5, but at the time I thought it was to give the Moto brand an advantage. Moto was bleeding money and why would Google interfere with what is a strong selling point with the Moto X.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well that is what I always wondered why it wasn't in the Nexus 5, but at the time I thought it was to give the Moto brand an advantage. Moto was bleeding money and why would Google interfere with what is a strong selling point with the Moto X.

We still can't say that Touchless controls was Googles. We can speculate. But I think it wasn't, especially not a software feature like that. Google didn't **** into Motorola's business like that.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Motorola was doing non removable batteries before the Google buyout, it's not unreasonable to assume that they dropped SD cards for reasons other than Google.

Per personal conversation with people involved in the project:

SD card support was dropped because Motorola did not want to spend engineering time and dollars making them work.
Samsung and Sony, who have a very vested interest in selling SD cards, have spent time and money to add SD card support to Android. Motorola has no such interests.

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if the specs wouldn't have been outdated on the X if Google took more control of it's development...
well one of the main design principals of the Moto X was to optimize the hardware so I wouldn't call the specs outdated for the performance/user experience they provide.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I didn't particularly mind Blur on my Atrix and don't remember it being that intrusive.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I didn't particularly mind Blur on my Atrix and don't remember it being that intrusive.

If I remember correctly (this was over two years ago now) there was problems with the Droid Xs where MotoBlur caused the phone to lag on perfectly capable hardware.

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Per personal conversation with people involved in the project:

SD card support was dropped because Motorola did not want to spend engineering time and dollars making them work.
Samsung and Sony, who have a very vested interest in selling SD cards, have spent time and money to add SD card support to Android. Motorola has no such interests.

Thank Goodness. Now this is something I believe! Thanks Jerry.