Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Screen randomly turns on (not Active Display)

This has been happening for a day or two, could be related to the 4.4.2 update. My phone's screen will randomly turn on, like someone hit the power button, and there doesn't appear to be a notification or anything causing that to happen.

Verizon DE model, 4.4.2 installed. Rooted and unlocked.

Anyone else experiencing this weirdness? Should I try to get a warranty replacement?

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Screen randomly turns on (not Active Display)

I had this happen to me one time since the update. It hasn't happened since. I can't figure out why it happened. I thought it was an app or that I got a notification but that wasn't it. It appeared once so I just didn't think about it anymore.

Posted via Android Central App

I've had it happen to me too. And I haven't even updated though I suppose it could involve a services update that Google pushed out. Or it could be an app I installed I guess. Doesn't happen often enough for me to worry about yet though.

If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yeah, if it happened once or twice I would let it go (and I did when it was only once or twice), but it happened about a half dozen more times yesterday (that I know of!). It hasn't appeared to happen today or most of yesterday after I posted that, so who knows? Just wondering if anyone figured out what may have caused that, but I guess it's just a fleeting bug.

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

It is very likely that an app that is trying to connect online or check your GPS is causing your phone to wake up - maybe an app that isn't compatible with 4.4.2.

The best thing to do is to uninstall and reinstall all of these types of apps.

But first, definitely turn your phone off and turn it back on and see if that clears up the issue. If it doesn't, then you know it is an app that you have running in the background causing a problem (or it is a software bug requiring a full system reset of your phone).

Quote Originally Posted by vtpmt81 View Post
    It is very likely that an app that is trying to connect online or check your GPS is causing your phone to wake up - maybe an app that isn't compatible with 4.4.2.

The best thing to do is to uninstall and reinstall all of these types of apps.

But first, definitely turn your phone off and turn it back on and see if that clears up the issue. If it doesn't, then you know it is an app that you have running in the background causing a problem (or it is a software bug requiring a full system reset of your phone).
    For me turning off the phone (to fix another problem) didn't fix this one. It could be related to the new FCC speed test app I installed recently as I have seen that app doing background things.

If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!

Default Re: Moto X: Screen randomly turns on (not Active Display)

This is known case, Some app is waking up your phone from idle mode.
    The apps are able to do that by using "wakelock" feature,

Fortunately, there are wakelock hunting apps that show wakelock usage statistics,
    Here is the app "Wakelock detector" freely available in GooglePlay
    http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...kelockdetector

Happens to me about once every other day.. Annoys me specially when im going to bed..
    PAST PHONES: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, HTC One X, Samsung S3, Nexus 4, Blackberry Z10, iPhone 5
    CURRENT PHONE: Motorola Moto X
    OTHER DEVICES: Nexus 7, MacBook Pro (2008), Asus Win8 Laptop, ASUS Iconia Tab, Microsoft Surface RT, Custom Desktop Win7

I've had the same problem on my brand new moto x. Did anyone find a solution or perhaps the app that may have caused it? Thanks

EDIT: I've looked at other forums that have mentioned wifi connection being the problem. Turned off my wifi, and voila, no more waking.

Are you guys referring to the phone turning on to the active display black screen or the lock screen? Just got my Moto x last week and my active display screen comes on from time to time without any notification and thought it was normal...

I have that problem but it doesn't bother me

Quote Originally Posted by bxdw01 View Post
    Are you guys referring to the phone turning on to the active display black screen or the lock screen? Just got my Moto x last week and my active display screen comes on from time to time without any notification and thought it was normal...
    It is.