Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mojofusion
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Dust in the Camera lens

Hey all, has anyone had a problem with dust in the camera lens? I open the app, and there is a fuzzy dark blotch near the middle of the display. It gradually goes away when I zoom in. Pictures I take heve the blotch in them. I tried blowing around the lens and through the headphone jack with a can of compressed air, but its still there. Any suggestions?
    Thanks all!

Default Re: Dust in the Camera lens

I assume you've already looked, but can you actually see the speck of dust on close visual inspection of the lens? Is it possible that it could be a scratch, or perhaps some debris stuck onto the external aspect of the lens that you might be able to wipe off with a little rubbing alcohol?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks B but i tried alcohol and a mag glass. Its not a scratch, Its def dust in there somehow. Wish i knew how to get it out without taking the back off.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Moto X: Dust in the Camera lens-img_20140303_090604338.jpg
    dark smudge low of center

How old is your phone? That defect would bug me, so I'd look into a replacement, if possible.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Its about 7 months old. I'll look into that, thanks.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ha Ha! Shook the phone a few times today and managed to clear the lens of dust. Maybe next time.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Woke up today with same issue on my moto x! Very frustrating, as it is not in an environment where this should happen.

Will be shaking my phone vigorously in the next day. Hope this doesn't lead to a manufacture warranty.

I encountered this exact problem today - the blur even looks the same as yours. Rear camera on Moto X.

Moto X: Dust in the Camera lens-dust.jpg

I cleaned the outside surface of the lens with Zeis lens cleansing wipe and inspected it with a magnifying glass. It is definitely on the internal surface of the camera.

Additionally, I power cycled my phone, tried another camera app, and uninstalled/reinstalled the Motorola camera - no luck.

Motorola service had me clear out the temporary memory (did) and suggested a factory data reset (did not).

They bumped me up to Level 2 Technical Support, which I'll go through in the next day or two...

I'm really careful of my phones, and I really hope they either fix it, or give me a new phone - and definitely not a refurbished one...

Verizon Moto X - stock black/black

Another picture of the blur - rapping it into my palm seems to have dislodged it somewhat...

Moto X: Dust in the Camera lens-img_20140413_124241949-1-.jpg

I also tried blowing canned air into the lens area and also into the headphone jack - no luck.

I'm probably going to call the Level 2 Technician and send it back. I can't deal with the remainder of my 2-year contract - 20 more months - with a camera I can't use.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I havent had the dust issue return... yet. I have a friend who used to work at the plant in Ft. Worth where the phone was made. She said the quality of the assembly line was questionable. Dont get me wrong, I love my Moto X and hope the next gen is as good as this one.

Default Re: Moto X: Dust in the Camera lens

This just popped up for me last week. Two black specks that have to be inside the glass. My Moto X is over a year old so I doubt they'll do anything for me.