New Moto X DE Arriving Today...First Things First To Do?

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Ahhh, thank you. How do I access the TWRP Nandroid backup? I did a backup from TWRP but it did not say if it was Nandroid or not...

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Is the Factory Image from Motorola different then the Factory Restore I just did? I am not sure how to tell.
What are you on 4.4.2? It looks like the factory images are still 4.4 but they should be releasing the 4.4.2 image soon, but no worries, there are sbf firmware files already posted if you are on 4.4.2.

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Ahhh, thank you. How do I access the TWRP Nandroid backup? I did a backup from TWRP but it did not say if it was Nandroid or not...
the nandroid b/u are found in /sdcard/TWRP/backups. I put mine in google drive so if I wipe the /sdcard, I can still grab them from the cloud.

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
it did not say if it was Nandroid or not...

/system, /boot and /data are your default partitions that TWRP includes in Nandroid backups. I haven't done this yet, but you should also back up your EFS if you are going to flash custom ROMs because it has your IMEI in it.

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I am using 4.4.2 Thanks a lot for all the help. I feel like a dummy asking all these questions, but here it goes...When I choose backup from the TWRP in Recovery I only see system boot data and cache. No EFS option. Is that something that will only appear once it is needed and created? Also, how would I get the backup from the Android to my macbook? Finally, do I need TWRP and Nandroid apps actually installed on the Android desktop?

Last edited:

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I am using 4.4.2 Thanks a lot for all the help. I feel like a dummy asking all these questions, but here it goes...When I choose backup from the TWRP in Recovery I only see system boot data and cache. No EFS option. Is that something that will only appear once it is needed and created? Also, how would I get the backup from the Android to my macbook? Finally, do I need TWRP and Nandroid apps actually installed on the Android desktop?

Don't worry about feeling dumb. This has turned into a great thread for us beginners and I'm sure there are other lurkers like me silently following along! Keep at it.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
When I choose backup from the TWRP in Recovery I only see system boot data and cache. No EFS option.
The Moto X is not officially supported by TWRP. The dev Hashcode modified TWRP for the Moto X.

[RECOVERY UNLOCKED] TWRP 2.6.3.1 for Android 4.4 [2013-11-19] - xda-developers

but it doesn't have the option for backing up the EFS. I just backed up my EFS using this zip for the Nexus 5 and it worked:

[MODEM] [EFS] Nexus 5 Flashable Modems and E?€? | Google Nexus 5 | xda-developers

I pushed the EFS b/u zip to my sdcard using adb and then booted into TWRP and installed it.

As always, I donate a few dollars to the devs whose work I depend on to root and back up my device.

Also, how would I get the backup from the Android to my macbook?
I downloaded the free Root Browser by Jrummy from the playstore. Then when I open Google Drive, I hit upload. Root Browser is an option to use to upload. Nandroids are in /sdcard/TWRP/Backups and the EFS is in /sdcard/EFS_Backup.

Don't forget to redeem the 2 years of 50GB free storage on Google Drive that comes with your Moto X!

Finally, do I need TWRP and Nandroid apps actually installed on the Android desktop?
TWRP is a custom recovery that you get into by booting into recovery.

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Excellent. I'm working on the ota update that takes it to 4.4.2 I believe.

The 4.4.2 OTA won't install unless you have stock system and recovery. You should be stock system if you haven't installed Xposed yet or made any other changes to system, but of course you have a custom recovery.

Also, remember that the 4.4.2 bootloader and partition table are not downgradable. So don't try to manually flash the bootloader (motoboot.img) or the partition table (gpt.bin) once you take the 4.4.2 OTA. IMO, it is best to stick with using RSD Lite (motorola's version of Odin) if you are going to flash system, boot, recovery etc. because it will stop you from doing things like trying to downgrade the bootloader.

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Well I used moto X toolkit for the Mac but I linked in one of my post above. It allowed me to reload the stock recovery and then take the over the air flash. Prior to figuring that out, the phone kept rebooting into TWRP.
For the past 4 hours I have been messing with the phone, loading a few apps, setting it up to my preferences, and trying to get iMessage to let go of my phone number so I can get texts.
I tell you it has been quite a learning process switching from an iPhone to an Android well using a Mac. I think tomorrow it will be less frustrating and even more so when I learn more about this. Having so many options is a little daunting :)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Well I used moto X toolkit for the Mac but I linked in one of my post above. It allowed me to reload the stock recovery and then take the over the air flash. Prior to figuring that out, the phone kept rebooting into TWRP.
The OTA script has a manifest in it that it compares to your system and recovery and if you aren't on stock recovery and stock system, it won't install.

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Install Xposed framework, Moto Tether Module and Gravity Box and you will have even more options!

But yes, it is overwhelming to leave the walled garden and enter the wild, wild west!
It very much feels like the Wild West coming from Apple. Its so fun and dangerous lol. Funny you should mention the Tether Module...I am able to tether without installing any apps...just from the settings menu. I dont know if it would still be better to use the Moto Tether Module or not? After todays exercises though I think I will take a break for a while. My wife isnt too impressed with it yet though. We communicate a lot via text and as of right now, iMessage isnt working. It still thinks I have an iphone. I did call Apple and gave them the bad news. They removed my phone number from the servers, but said it might take a while.

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I am able to tether without installing any apps...just from the settings menu.
I just realized you are on ATT. I am on Verizon with unlimited data. So I need the moto tether module to tether. I don't know how ATT works.

We communicate a lot via text and as of right now, iMessage isnt working. It still thinks I have an iphone. I did call Apple and gave them the bad news. They removed my phone number from the servers, but said it might take a while.
Apple can do it right away. You may have to call again to get them to take your phone number out of their imessage database. That has nothing at all to do with android. It is entirely an apple problem.

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, I called them last night and they said the number was taken out of their system. It would be only 2 hours, but could take up to 24 for it to fully work. It has been 24 hours and still having problems. I'll give it another day and see if that helps. I know others have had similar problems....other then that I am making my way around Android very well!

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, I called them last night and they said the number was taken out of their system. It would be only 2 hours, but could take up to 24 for it to fully work. It has been 24 hours and still having problems. I'll give it another day and see if that helps. I know others have had similar problems....other then that I am making my way around Android very well!
Again, an apple problem created by apple, solvable by apple. Nothing to do with android.

Everyone who switches from an iPhone to an Android phone has this problem. It is not particular to you and it is absolutely outrageous that the carriers let Apple get away with it. Apple could in a heartbeat implement a system that would get your phone number out of their database the second you deactivated your iPhone. They chose not to.

Did you install Gravity Box? You really need to if you haven't. The battery percentage indicator alone is worth it IMO.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

I still have this problem even though I got rid of my iPhone years ago. I had apple deactivate it and I turned imessage off on my devices, but I still miss MMS from friends with iPhones. Part of it is because issues with how each carrier handles the MMS data (less standardized than SMS), and making sure friends are texting your phone number and not your Apple ID email address (this STILL happens).

please back away from the screen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs