Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

Probably should have asked this before I bought, but anyway I've since found out that the unlocked "T-Mobile" version does not have 2 LTE bands that the AT&T one does have (5 and 7). It also doesn't have UMTS band 1700.

Does anyone know where the AT&T phone will work on the AT&T native network (US or International, no roaming) where the T-Mobile one will not?

From Wikipeida:

AT&T: UMTS: 850/900/1700/1900/2100, LTE 2/4/17

"T-Mobile": UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100, LTE 2/4/5/7/17

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

From Motorola.

I believe the GSM/"T-Mobile" version has the same specs as the GSM Developer edition.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...1%2Fmoto-x-specifications.html&token=DTM2G1Ry

3G UMTS bands
850/900/ AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (B5/B8/B4/B2/B1)

4G LTE bands (GSM Unlocked model only)
700/AWS/1900MHz (B17/B4/B2)

Moto X Developer Edition - A Google Company

3G UMTS bands
850/900/ AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (B5/B8/B4/B2/B1)

4G LTE bands
700/AWS/1900MHz (B17/B4/B2)

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

Those sets of specs are identical. I know the AT&T version has bands that the T-Mobile does not.

Last edited:

jbarborka

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

The unbranded T-Mobile Moto Maker version supports UMTS 1700, but the GSM developer edition does not. The two LTE bands in question, bands 5 and 7, are not used in the United States, so a Moto Maker T-Mobile Moto X will work everywhere on AT&T's network.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

The unbranded T-Mobile Moto Maker version supports UMTS 1700, but the GSM developer edition does not. The two LTE bands in question, bands 5 and 7, are not used in the United States, so a Moto Maker T-Mobile Moto X will work everywhere on AT&T's network.

Interesting. That's the first I recall hearing that there are any differences between the T-Mobile and the DE. Everyone says the are identical (XT 1053).

Do you know where LTE bands 5 and 7 are used?

jbarborka

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Interesting. That's the first I recall hearing that there are any differences between the T-Mobile and the DE. Everyone says the are identical (XT 1053).

Do you know where LTE bands 5 and 7 are used?

It looks like Band 5 actually is in use in the states, but only by U.S. Cellular, so I apologize for that bit of misinformation. Band 7 is used in South America and parts of Canada.

I also just spoke last night to a Motorola rep, and he confirmed that the GSM unlocked version and the GSM developer edition are both XT1053's and operate on all the same bands. There's been some confusion on various boards surrounding these devices and I obviously didn't present correct information in this thread as a result. I am very sorry for that. I was told the only difference between the two is that unlocking the T-Mobile version will void your warranty. The ATT version has bands 5 and 7, but those are only included for international roaming. He said that since the T-Mobile version supports all of AT&T's domestic frequencies, there are no problems with using it on AT&T's network.

Again, sorry for the misinformation.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

There was a post (I think on Google+) by a Motorola engineer going over the differences. I'll see what I can dig up.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Probably should have asked this before I bought, but anyway I've since found out that the unlocked "T-Mobile" version does not have 2 LTE bands that the AT&T one does have (5 and 7). It also doesn't have UMTS band 1700.

Does anyone know where the AT&T phone will work on the AT&T native network (US or International, no roaming) where the T-Mobile one will not?

From Wikipeida:

This might be redundant...anyway:
Using a 1053 on Straight Talk [Walmart] utilizing AT&T towers.
Works fine. Better than T-Mobile where I am in central NJ.
Have tried both sim's and AT&T has the stronger signal where I am located.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com

There was a post (I think on Google+) by a Motorola engineer going over the differences. I'll see what I can dig up.
John Renaldi by chance?

Here are two relevant quotes from John Renaldi of Moto here -> https://plus.google.com/114874428605785658638/posts/fkFtiVpXyHi

"TMO version will not have all the same LTE banding as the AT&T version. HSPA bands fine though."

"While the TMO version does in fact have all the AT&T LTE bands (your AT&T SIM will work), the hardware itself does not contain all the same bands as the AT&T version. Our TMO version supports: LTE Band 02; LTE Band 04; LTE Band 17 and the AT&T version supports LTE Band 02; LTE Band 04; LTE Band 05; LTE Band 07; LTE Band 17."

later in that discussion, someone else says... "the T-mobile and Dev variants have the same LTE bands (B17/B4/B2), so they'll be equal. On AT&T (in the US), they'll both do just as well as the AT&T variant. Bands 5 and 7 aren't used by these operators in the US." So not having LTE Band 5 & 7 on the T-Mobile US X wont be a factor unless you are traveling to a non-USA country that uses Band 5 or 7 for LTE.

The T-Mobile can unlock the boot loader, where as the ATT variant can't.

Since then it appears that ATT might be using BAND 5 in some places in the USA.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com

From Wikipeida:

I am pretty sure that Wiki entry is wrong, or is that a copy/paste error... because I find it odd that T-Mobile X wouldn't support UMTS on AWS (1700/2100) since that is what T-Mobile deployed their HSPA/HSPA+ on initially, and only recently began refarming their 1900 "edge" to "UMTS/HSPA" and JR said the ATT has LTE 5/7 which the T-Mo doesn't...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

John Renaldi by chance?

Here are two relevant quotes from John Renaldi of Moto here -> https://plus.google.com/114874428605785658638/posts/fkFtiVpXyHi

"TMO version will not have all the same LTE banding as the AT&T version. HSPA bands fine though."

"While the TMO version does in fact have all the AT&T LTE bands (your AT&T SIM will work), the hardware itself does not contain all the same bands as the AT&T version. Our TMO version supports: LTE Band 02; LTE Band 04; LTE Band 17 and the AT&T version supports LTE Band 02; LTE Band 04; LTE Band 05; LTE Band 07; LTE Band 17."

later in that discussion, someone else says... "the T-mobile and Dev variants have the same LTE bands (B17/B4/B2), so they'll be equal. On AT&T (in the US), they'll both do just as well as the AT&T variant. Bands 5 and 7 aren't used by these operators in the US." So not having LTE Band 5 & 7 on the T-Mobile US X wont be a factor unless you are traveling to a non-USA country that uses Band 5 or 7 for LTE.

The T-Mobile can unlock the boot loader, where as the ATT variant can't.

Since then it appears that ATT might be using BAND 5 in some places in the USA.

Boom. You win. :D

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

That's where I saw it, forgot where it was.

Based on the top post on this page it looks like AT&T uses LTE band 5 in Bloomington, IL, so based on this there is at least one place in the US the AT&T phone will work on AT&T and the unlabeled one won't:

AT&T 4G LTE - Latest markets launching and speculation - Page 99

Edit: and Traverse City, MI (post 2178)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1757531-AT-amp-T-4G-LTE-Latest-markets-launching-and-speculation?p=15355591&highlight=band#post15355591

And Burlington, VT:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1823591-Band-5-LTE

Last edited:

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

BTW I am assuming that the unbranded phone will still get 3G in the areas where AT&T is using LTE Band 5. Is this correct?