Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jbarborka
  • 1 Post By Mark_Venture
  • 1 Post By Mark_Venture
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    Probably should have asked this before I bought, but anyway I've since found out that the unlocked "T-Mobile" version does not have 2 LTE bands that the AT&T one does have (5 and 7). It also doesn't have UMTS band 1700.

    Does anyone know where the AT&T phone will work on the AT&T native network (US or International, no roaming) where the T-Mobile one will not?

    From Wikipeida:

    AT&T: UMTS: 850/900/1700/1900/2100, LTE 2/4/17

    "T-Mobile": UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100, LTE 2/4/5/7/17
    Last edited by tmann202; 03-06-2014 at 01:40 AM.
  2. #2  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,445 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    From Motorola.

    I believe the GSM/"T-Mobile" version has the same specs as the GSM Developer edition.

    https://www.motorola.com/us/FLEXR1-1...fications.html

    3G UMTS bands
    850/900/ AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (B5/B8/B4/B2/B1)

    4G LTE bands (GSM Unlocked model only)
    700/AWS/1900MHz (B17/B4/B2)
    Moto X Developer Edition - A Google Company

    3G UMTS bands
    850/900/ AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (B5/B8/B4/B2/B1)

    4G LTE bands
    700/AWS/1900MHz (B17/B4/B2)
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    Those sets of specs are identical. I know the AT&T version has bands that the T-Mobile does not.
    Last edited by tmann202; 03-06-2014 at 01:39 AM.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    The unbranded T-Mobile Moto Maker version supports UMTS 1700, but the GSM developer edition does not. The two LTE bands in question, bands 5 and 7, are not used in the United States, so a Moto Maker T-Mobile Moto X will work everywhere on AT&T's network.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbarborka View Post
    The unbranded T-Mobile Moto Maker version supports UMTS 1700, but the GSM developer edition does not. The two LTE bands in question, bands 5 and 7, are not used in the United States, so a Moto Maker T-Mobile Moto X will work everywhere on AT&T's network.
    Interesting. That's the first I recall hearing that there are any differences between the T-Mobile and the DE. Everyone says the are identical (XT 1053).

    Do you know where LTE bands 5 and 7 are used?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmann202 View Post
    Interesting. That's the first I recall hearing that there are any differences between the T-Mobile and the DE. Everyone says the are identical (XT 1053).

    Do you know where LTE bands 5 and 7 are used?
    It looks like Band 5 actually is in use in the states, but only by U.S. Cellular, so I apologize for that bit of misinformation. Band 7 is used in South America and parts of Canada.

    I also just spoke last night to a Motorola rep, and he confirmed that the GSM unlocked version and the GSM developer edition are both XT1053's and operate on all the same bands. There's been some confusion on various boards surrounding these devices and I obviously didn't present correct information in this thread as a result. I am very sorry for that. I was told the only difference between the two is that unlocking the T-Mobile version will void your warranty. The ATT version has bands 5 and 7, but those are only included for international roaming. He said that since the T-Mobile version supports all of AT&T's domestic frequencies, there are no problems with using it on AT&T's network.

    Again, sorry for the misinformation.
    UncleMike likes this.
  7. #7  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,445 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    There was a post (I think on Google+) by a Motorola engineer going over the differences. I'll see what I can dig up.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    To answer my own question, here is a list of LTE network band locations. Looks like band 7 would be handy if I was going down for the World Cup, but that's not going to happen.

    List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmann202 View Post
    Probably should have asked this before I bought, but anyway I've since found out that the unlocked "T-Mobile" version does not have 2 LTE bands that the AT&T one does have (5 and 7). It also doesn't have UMTS band 1700.

    Does anyone know where the AT&T phone will work on the AT&T native network (US or International, no roaming) where the T-Mobile one will not?

    From Wikipeida:

    AT&T: UMTS: 850/900/1700/1900/2100, LTE 2/4/17

    "T-Mobile": UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100, LTE 2/4/5/7/17
    This might be redundant...anyway:
    Using a 1053 on Straight Talk [Walmart] utilizing AT&T towers.
    Works fine. Better than T-Mobile where I am in central NJ.
    Have tried both sim's and AT&T has the stronger signal where I am located.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    There was a post (I think on Google+) by a Motorola engineer going over the differences. I'll see what I can dig up.
    John Renaldi by chance?

    Here are two relevant quotes from John Renaldi of Moto here -> https://plus.google.com/114874428605...ts/fkFtiVpXyHi

    "TMO version will not have all the same LTE banding as the AT&T version. HSPA bands fine though."

    "While the TMO version does in fact have all the AT&T LTE bands (your AT&T SIM will work), the hardware itself does not contain all the same bands as the AT&T version. Our TMO version supports: LTE Band 02; LTE Band 04; LTE Band 17 and the AT&T version supports LTE Band 02; LTE Band 04; LTE Band 05; LTE Band 07; LTE Band 17."

    later in that discussion, someone else says... "the T-mobile and Dev variants have the same LTE bands (B17/B4/B2), so they'll be equal. On AT&T (in the US), they'll both do just as well as the AT&T variant. Bands 5 and 7 aren't used by these operators in the US." So not having LTE Band 5 & 7 on the T-Mobile US X wont be a factor unless you are traveling to a non-USA country that uses Band 5 or 7 for LTE.

    The T-Mobile can unlock the boot loader, where as the ATT variant can't.

    Since then it appears that ATT might be using BAND 5 in some places in the USA.
    My Moto X tips and info

    Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

    Sign up for Dropbox -> HERE
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmann202 View Post
    Probably should have asked this before I bought, but anyway I've since found out that the unlocked "T-Mobile" version does not have 2 LTE bands that the AT&T one does have (5 and 7). It also doesn't have UMTS band 1700.

    Does anyone know where the AT&T phone will work on the AT&T native network (US or International, no roaming) where the T-Mobile one will not?

    From Wikipeida:

    AT&T: UMTS: 850/900/1700/1900/2100, LTE 2/4/17

    "T-Mobile": UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100, LTE 2/4/5/7/17
    I am pretty sure that Wiki entry is wrong, or is that a copy/paste error... because I find it odd that T-Mobile X wouldn't support UMTS on AWS (1700/2100) since that is what T-Mobile deployed their HSPA/HSPA+ on initially, and only recently began refarming their 1900 "edge" to "UMTS/HSPA" and JR said the ATT has LTE 5/7 which the T-Mo doesn't...
    My Moto X tips and info

    Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

    Sign up for Dropbox -> HERE
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  12. #12  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,445 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    John Renaldi by chance?

    Here are two relevant quotes from John Renaldi of Moto here -> https://plus.google.com/114874428605...ts/fkFtiVpXyHi

    "TMO version will not have all the same LTE banding as the AT&T version. HSPA bands fine though."

    "While the TMO version does in fact have all the AT&T LTE bands (your AT&T SIM will work), the hardware itself does not contain all the same bands as the AT&T version. Our TMO version supports: LTE Band 02; LTE Band 04; LTE Band 17 and the AT&T version supports LTE Band 02; LTE Band 04; LTE Band 05; LTE Band 07; LTE Band 17."

    later in that discussion, someone else says... "the T-mobile and Dev variants have the same LTE bands (B17/B4/B2), so they'll be equal. On AT&T (in the US), they'll both do just as well as the AT&T variant. Bands 5 and 7 aren't used by these operators in the US." So not having LTE Band 5 & 7 on the T-Mobile US X wont be a factor unless you are traveling to a non-USA country that uses Band 5 or 7 for LTE.

    The T-Mobile can unlock the boot loader, where as the ATT variant can't.

    Since then it appears that ATT might be using BAND 5 in some places in the USA.
    Boom. You win.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    That's where I saw it, forgot where it was.

    Based on the top post on this page it looks like AT&T uses LTE band 5 in Bloomington, IL, so based on this there is at least one place in the US the AT&T phone will work on AT&T and the unlabeled one won't:

    AT&T 4G LTE - Latest markets launching and speculation - Page 99

    Edit: and Traverse City, MI (post 2178)

    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...d#post15355591

    And Burlington, VT:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...591-Band-5-LTE
    Last edited by tmann202; 03-06-2014 at 04:26 PM.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Where Will The AT&T Moto X Work And The "T-Mobile" Version NOT Work, ON AT&T NETWORK?

    BTW I am assuming that the unbranded phone will still get 3G in the areas where AT&T is using LTE Band 5. Is this correct?

Similar Threads

  1. AT&T to carry the Desire 610 (@evleaks)
    By Ry in forum HTC Desire 610
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 11:11 PM
  2. S-View and Wireless S-View
    By Malkozaine in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 04:27 PM
  3. Advice please on Verizon HTC One
    By PAC757 in forum HTC One
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 05:44 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 02:21 PM
  5. Advice/recommendations on scanning apps
    By dgastfriend in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 01:21 PM

Posting Permissions