Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ethertwist
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: phantom notification sound?

The past couple of weeks or so I've been getting a random notification sound, but I can't seem to locate the culprit. I checked my notification sound options and what I'm hearing doesn't match any of them. I've uninstalled a few apps that I thought might be the origin, but it keeps happening. It occurs about twice a day at different times. It's not really a nuisance other than just being completely baffling and I would like to eliminate it if possible. Anyone else experiencing this? Are there any apps in particular that can help locate the source of phantom notifications?

Default Re: phantom notification sound?

What does the notification tone sound like? Is it one of the tones you can select, or something completely different? I've read of other people getting seemingly random tones that ultimately were traced to the NFC function, and they went away after turning NFC off.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    What does the notification tone sound like? Is it one of the tones you can select, or something completely different? I've read of other people getting seemingly random tones that ultimately were traced to the NFC function, and they went away after turning NFC off.
    Thanks for replying! The tone doesn't sound like any of the stock options currently on my phone. I'll try turning NFC off to see if that works!

If you have stock Twitter installed you may want to check it's settings. It will make a sound when someone follows you and often does not put anything in notifications.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by techitrucker View Post
    If you have stock Twitter installed you may want to check it's settings. It will make a sound when someone follows you and often does not put anything in notifications.

Thank you! I will try modifying my Twitter settings.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ISSUE SOLVED!

I've downloaded an app called Notification History and determined the culprit to be Yahoo Mail. Sure enough, the default tone for when a new mail is received is what I've been hearing. I've now set it to 'No Sound' so hopefully that rectifies that issue. Thanks again to those who've responded!
    B. Diddy likes this.

Default Re: Moto X: phantom notification sound?

I remember an issue with Yahoo Mail causing a mysterious purple notification LED, but didn't know about the tone. Glad you figured it out!

Thanked by:

Default Re: Moto X: phantom notification sound?

The one that drive me crazy this week was NFL Mobile. I had notifications off but apparently that only affects what does up in the system tray. The sounds still played every time something else happened with the annual shake up. I ended up just removing it till next season.