Coin, Trusted Bluetooth, and the Moto X

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I found this article online about coin, a card for all credit and debit cards, and I thought about using shared Bluetooth on the moto x with coin because of coin's Bluetooth capability. Any thoughts about picking this product up?

https://onlycoin.com/

Posted via Android Central App

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: one coin 4 all cards and the moto x

I don't know what you mean by "shared bluetooth", but the product itself looks interesting. I'd be concerned about the information provided to Coin being stored anywhere but on the device itself, and even then, if the device pairs with your phone over Bluetooth, the data could easily make it to the cloud somewhere. Assuming those concerns were addressed, it might also be useful as a trusted device.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what you mean by "shared bluetooth", but the product itself looks interesting. I'd be concerned about the information provided to Coin being stored anywhere but on the device itself, and even then, if the device pairs with your phone over Bluetooth, the data could easily make it to the cloud somewhere. Assuming those concerns were addressed, it might also be useful as a trusted device.

Ahh trusted

Posted via Android Central App

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

I looked into this a while back...seemed pretty cool and I liked the idea of having a bluetooth connection to something in my wallet in case I forget my card (it alerts you on your phone) or to keep my Moto X unlocked when I have it.

Two things kept me from pulling the trigger though, the price ($50 for essentially doing nothing more than shrinking my wallet by 3 cards) and the fact that the battery only lasts 2 years before you need to buy another card (which after the intro price would jump to $100). Plus I've seen some concerns raised on security but not sure anything raised is justified yet or not. Its such a new concept and not in production yet that makes it tough.

Sent from my Moto X

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I found this article online about coin

At a quick look, with the exception of BT, isn't that pretty much the same as the Google Wallet Card? I'd be trusting Google to be more diligent with security than a new kid on the block.

Before rushing into it, you want to read the EULA.
"your use of the App in conjunction with the Coin Card is solely at your own risk;"
"you consent to the collection, use, sharing and transfer of your personally identifiable information,..."

I think I will pass. :)

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

Google Wallet Card exists as a stand alone card account I believe and you need to "fund" the Google Account with transfers from other accounts like a credit card (there may even be fees involved).

Coin just mimics the magnetic strip of your other cards so you don't have to carry them. Swiping Coin would be the same as swiping your original card except Coin can do this for up to 8 cards...you just pick which magnetic strip it mimics before you pay.

Sent from my Moto X

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

This was discussed several months ago. If I recall correctly Coin's Bluetooth isn't on continuously so it can't act as a trusted device.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

Before rushing into it, you want to read the EULA.
"your use of the App in conjunction with the Coin Card is solely at your own risk;"
"you consent to the collection, use, sharing and transfer of your personally identifiable information,..."

I think I will pass. :)

Me too. Though this makes it sound like the app is optional, and without it I security is much less of an issue.

This was discussed several months ago. If I recall correctly Coin's Bluetooth isn't on continuously so it can't act as a trusted device.

That really makes it less appealing.