Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Coin, Trusted Bluetooth, and the Moto X

    I found this article online about coin, a card for all credit and debit cards, and I thought about using shared Bluetooth on the moto x with coin because of coin's Bluetooth capability. Any thoughts about picking this product up?

    https://onlycoin.com/

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: one coin 4 all cards and the moto x

    I don't know what you mean by "shared bluetooth", but the product itself looks interesting. I'd be concerned about the information provided to Coin being stored anywhere but on the device itself, and even then, if the device pairs with your phone over Bluetooth, the data could easily make it to the cloud somewhere. Assuming those concerns were addressed, it might also be useful as a trusted device.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "shared bluetooth", but the product itself looks interesting. I'd be concerned about the information provided to Coin being stored anywhere but on the device itself, and even then, if the device pairs with your phone over Bluetooth, the data could easily make it to the cloud somewhere. Assuming those concerns were addressed, it might also be useful as a trusted device.
    Ahh trusted

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  
    Kalifornia's Avatar
    Dude

    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

    Default Re: one coin 4 all cards and the moto x

    I looked into this a while back...seemed pretty cool and I liked the idea of having a bluetooth connection to something in my wallet in case I forget my card (it alerts you on your phone) or to keep my Moto X unlocked when I have it.

    Two things kept me from pulling the trigger though, the price ($50 for essentially doing nothing more than shrinking my wallet by 3 cards) and the fact that the battery only lasts 2 years before you need to buy another card (which after the intro price would jump to $100). Plus I've seen some concerns raised on security but not sure anything raised is justified yet or not. Its such a new concept and not in production yet that makes it tough.

    Sent from my Moto X
  5. #5  

    Default Re: one coin 4 all cards and the moto x

    Quote Originally Posted by globster2000 View Post
    I found this article online about coin
    At a quick look, with the exception of BT, isn't that pretty much the same as the Google Wallet Card? I'd be trusting Google to be more diligent with security than a new kid on the block.

    Before rushing into it, you want to read the EULA.
    "your use of the App in conjunction with the Coin Card is solely at your own risk;"
    "you consent to the collection, use, sharing and transfer of your personally identifiable information,..."

    I think I will pass.
  6. #6  
    Kalifornia's Avatar
    Dude

    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

    Default Re: one coin 4 all cards and the moto x

    Google Wallet Card exists as a stand alone card account I believe and you need to "fund" the Google Account with transfers from other accounts like a credit card (there may even be fees involved).

    Coin just mimics the magnetic strip of your other cards so you don't have to carry them. Swiping Coin would be the same as swiping your original card except Coin can do this for up to 8 cards...you just pick which magnetic strip it mimics before you pay.

    Sent from my Moto X
  7. #7  

    Default Re: one coin 4 all cards and the moto x

    This was discussed several months ago. If I recall correctly Coin's Bluetooth isn't on continuously so it can't act as a trusted device.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: one coin 4 all cards and the moto x

    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    Before rushing into it, you want to read the EULA.
    "your use of the App in conjunction with the Coin Card is solely at your own risk;"
    "you consent to the collection, use, sharing and transfer of your personally identifiable information,..."

    I think I will pass.
    Me too. Though this makes it sound like the app is optional, and without it I security is much less of an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottMGS View Post
    This was discussed several months ago. If I recall correctly Coin's Bluetooth isn't on continuously so it can't act as a trusted device.
    That really makes it less appealing.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-09-2014, 01:22 PM
  2. Nexus 5: Adding words to the dictionary
    By KS Uthayya in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 01:06 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2014, 02:15 AM
  4. [FREE] Guess the country
    By rewegate in forum Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 11:00 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Posting Permissions