Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Mount USB Storage... Is this new in 4.4.2?

I was poking around in the Storage section of Settings and discovered a setting at the bottom of the screen called "Mount USB Storage". I don't remember seeing it before on 4.4 but it got me interested so I grabbed my USB OTG cable and a flash drive and sure enough, I was able to mount the drive and view the files (using ES File Explorer). My phone is not rooted (but it is a T-Mobile/XT1053) and I didn't have to pay for the "Nexus media importer" app which apparently used to be the only way to use USB OTG without root. I tried this before on 4.4 and I'm 90% sure it didn't work. Anyone interested, all you need is a cable like this: Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3/S3: Cell Phones & Accessories and a flash drive. It may also work with a hard drive, but it might need external power (there are other 'Y' cables available with that feature). It's a handy workaround for the lack of MicroSD. Not quite as convenient/low-profile, but it's something...
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-08-2014 at 08:13 AM.
    Thanked by:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Mount USB Storage... Is this new in 4.4.2?

One annoyance: When you unmount and remove the USB drive, you will be stuck with a non-dismissable notification saying "USB Storage Removed". As far as I can tell, you have to reboot to get rid of it.
    Thanked by 2:

Thanks - this good to know for travel. Load up a USB with music.

I ran into that also.......but small price to pay for additional storage

What would rock is someone made a case with a micro USB plug and do the following:

- Qi Wireless charging
    - External micro SD
    - and if you can put a small additional battery (not much like 25% more juice) so it would not become a huge monstrosity.

The last one was more of a throw in, but to quote my 3 year old best friend "That would be really useful".

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconFiend View Post
    One annoyance: When you unmount and remove the USB drive, you will be stuck with a non-dismissable notification saying "USB Storage Removed". As far as I can tell, you have to reboot to get rid of it.
    I just tried this (had an OTG adapter for my G2). It gave me the notification after I removed the drive, but was able to swipe the notification out with no problem.
    Sent from some electronic device, using my fingers.
    Thanked by:

I'm rooted and using Stickmount. When I choose 'unmount' from Stickmount and unplug, I get a notification about storage unexpectedly removed, but I can swipe it away. Without Stickmount, the message to reattach the storage cannot be swept away and remains until a reboot in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by opskmallory View Post
    I just tried this (had an OTG adapter for my G2). It gave me the notification after I removed the drive, but was able to swipe the notification out with no problem.
    Sorry to ask this but I didn't understand if you were able to swipe away the notification on your moto x or on your G2 when you extracted the usb otg. On my moto x running stock 4.4.2 when I press on remove usb drive under storage options and then unplug the usb otg cable I get notification on my status bar and it doesn't go away unless I reboot my device...
    Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Moto X: Mount USB Storage... Is this new in 4.4.2?

I am able to swipe the notification when I do NOT unmount the USB drive before removing it.

If you unmount it then you're stuck with the persistent notification. There is no need to unmount.. just like in windows, unless there is some data transfer going on you won't have any ill effects.

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by prat23 View Post
    I am able to swipe the notification when I do NOT unmount the USB drive before removing it.

If you unmount it then you're stuck with the persistent notification. There is no need to unmount.. just like in windows, unless there is some data transfer going on you won't have any ill effects.

Peace!
    Thanks for the info!

I just got myself a Kingston 32GB microDuo! Can't wait to try it out!
    Blackberry Storm 1> Blackberry Storm 2> Samsung Mesmerize>Motorola Electrify>AT&T SG3>AT&T SG4> AT&T Optimus G Pro>AT&T LG G2>AT&T LG G3

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman28 View Post
    Thanks for the info!

I just got myself a Kingston 32GB microDuo! Can't wait to try it out!
    You're welcome

Just a follow up to this:
    In the office today I connected my USB keyboard to my moto x, and the phone recognized it as such, and allowed full typing from keyboard. It even has a full set of options in language and input settings that show up when you plug on the keyboard.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by shetach View Post
    Just a follow up to this:
    In the office today I connected my USB keyboard to my moto x, and the phone recognized it as such, and allowed full typing from keyboard. It even has a full set of options in language and input settings that show up when you plug on the keyboard.

Posted via Android Central App
    Oh, that's awesome! I've never messed around with USB OTG before, so its really neat to find out what all it can do.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Excellent good to know. Also thanks for the Amazon link