Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Flaky radios on the unlocked GSM Moto X?

I had an AT&T branded Moto X that worked without any connectivity issue. I picked up a custom unlocked GSM version from Moto Maker to replace it, as ATT wouldn't agree to unlock it for a year. The radio on the unlocked version seems to have some issues. Occasionally, I drop all cellular connectivity for 30 to 40 seconds. I cannot always recreate the issue, but it is most likely to happen when I dial a number and hang up before anyone answers, then immediately attempt to dial a new number. I get the hollow zero bar symbol and a network unavailable message when I try to place the call. It never lasts long.

Also, on the AT&T version - my LTE seemed a little more solid, but now I see the phone drop to 4G more frequently... but that may just be me looking at the phone more often (and oddly enough, a dead zone on the old AT&T phone is now connecting solidly and consistently on Edge).

So, there is clearly something different with the radio or software controlling the radio. Anyone else noticed any of this?

Default Re: Flaky radios on the unlocked GSM Moto X?

I was also thinking this lately. I notice the service is not as good as my galaxy s3 was in some places. I was also blaming the unlocked gsm thing.

I've noticed similar issues, but in my case also switched carriers to T Mobile. I've assumed it was because of their poor coverage, but now I wonder if it is also a difference between the att radio and the unlocked gsm one :/

Quote Originally Posted by asdrew View Post
    I've noticed similar issues, but in my case also switched carriers to T Mobile. I've assumed it was because of their poor coverage, but now I wonder if it is also a difference between the att radio and the unlocked gsm one :/
    hi
    i noticed the same issue i was working in a basement of a house i had no signal with my moto x i mean zero the other guy had a T-mobile samsung gallaxy 4 he had signal ,i saw it with my eyes he was surfing the web i was not able to do anything with the phone i could not believe it.
    i was very disappointed !! i taking good care of my phone i have silicone case on it never dropped it i have good signal elsewhere, no issues .

what should i do i bought this phone for $350 and everybody says motorola has a good radio i mean i can use the phone but i wana be able to use it in a basement or places like that just like the other guy who also has t-mobile and the samsung gallaxy 4 is old how is the moto x cant compare to it .

Quote Originally Posted by cd619 View Post
    I had an AT&T branded Moto X that worked without any connectivity issue. I picked up a custom unlocked GSM version from Moto Maker to replace it, as ATT wouldn't agree to unlock it for a year. The radio on the unlocked version seems to have some issues. Occasionally, I drop all cellular connectivity for 30 to 40 seconds. I cannot always recreate the issue, but it is most likely to happen when I dial a number and hang up before anyone answers, then immediately attempt to dial a new number. I get the hollow zero bar symbol and a network unavailable message when I try to place the call. It never lasts long.

Also, on the AT&T version - my LTE seemed a little more solid, but now I see the phone drop to 4G more frequently... but that may just be me looking at the phone more often (and oddly enough, a dead zone on the old AT&T phone is now connecting solidly and consistently on Edge).

So, there is clearly something different with the radio or software controlling the radio. Anyone else noticed any of this?
    hi
    i noticed the same issue i was working in a basement of a house i had no signal with my moto x i mean zero the other guy had a T-mobile samsung gallaxy 4 he had signal ,i saw it with my eyes he was surfing the web i was not able to do anything with the phone i could not believe it.
    i was very disappointed !! i taking good care of my phone i have silicone case on it never dropped it i have good signal elsewhere, no issues .

what should i do i bought this phone for $350 and everybody says motorola has a good radio i mean i can use the phone but i wana be able to use it in a basement or places like that just like the other guy who also has t-mobile and the samsung gallaxy 4 is old how is the moto x cant compare to it .

i may be getting the new sony Z2