Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Having Trouble w/ New "What's Up" phrase

Hi all,
    I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I updated the touchless control app the other day but since then have had no success getting the phone to tell me my notifications and what not using the "What's Up" phrase. I can still only use "OK Google Now" to get the phone to do anything without me touching it. Anyone else having this problem? Is there something I can do to fix it? Any and all help is much appreciated. BTW, I'm using the X unrooted and on AT&T.

Ty

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Having Trouble w/ New "What's Up" phrase

You still have to say ok Google now. Then you say what's up.

Posted via Android Central App on my Ebony backed Moto X
    Tim
    Moto X
    Nexus 10
    Thanked by:
    shaytoon21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilnut View Post
    You still have to say ok Google now. Then you say what's up.

This is true, I too tried it without the "Ok! Google Now" right after the update, finally figured it out like Evilnut stated..... I'm on Verizon with stock phone O/S ver 4.4.2. Works everytime after the "Ok! Google Now" prompt.
    Evilnut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jexx View Post
    This is true, I too tried it without the "Ok! Google Now" right after the update, finally figured it out like Evilnut stated..... I'm on Verizon with stock phone O/S ver 4.4.2. Works everytime after the "Ok! Google Now" prompt.
    Do you really say ok with added enthusiasm? 'OK! Google now'?

-Nexus 10-
    JungleLarry likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Oh okay. I thought from the description of the update that all you had to say was what's up and that it would then tell you the info. Thanks guys I appreciate you all answering this for me. Now I feel pretty stupid lol. I'm loving my X though. Had it for about 3-4 months and still love it as much as the day I got it! Just waiting for AT&T to give us 4.4.2. Anxious to see the improvements and features it brings. And really excited to see what they bring in the new model later in the summer.

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsaucev2 View Post
    Do you really say ok with added enthusiasm? 'OK! Google now'?

-Nexus 10-
    Nope, just trying to help out Tyler, sorry if it bothered you. ok Google now then say what's up, works fine.

works fine for me. yep, you still need to start with ""OK, Google now"

Quote Originally Posted by jexx View Post
    Nope, just trying to help out Tyler, sorry if it bothered you. ok Google now then say what's up, works fine.
    It doesn't bother me I was just curious

-Moto X-

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsaucev2 View Post
    It doesn't bother me I was just curious

-Moto X-
    Great! Just glad we could all help out the OP, that's what its all about, looks like that's what was accomplished.

Default Re: Moto X: Having Trouble w/ New "What's Up" phrase

What is the 'what's up' phrase for?

Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ttfn92 View Post
    What is the 'what's up' phrase for?

Try it. You will find out! 😀

Tim
    Moto X
    Nexus 10
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Default Activating google now and saying "whats up" searches the phrase rather than reading notifications?

How do I fix this? Have done all the updates

Default Re: Activating google now and saying "whats up" searches the phrase rather than reading notificatio

Quote Originally Posted by DereKram View Post
    How do I fix this? Have done all the updates
    This link from here might help you? http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...up-phrase.html

Default Re: Activating google now and saying "whats up" searches the phrase rather than reading notificatio

I don't believe it does.
    The thread referenced is for people who don't know you have to say "Ok Google Now" before "What's Up"

I'm having the exact experience as the OP.
    I said "Ok Google Now" and it opened the Assist screen.
    I asked "What's Up?" and it took me to a Google Search for the phrase "What's Up"

Sometimes it works. Other times it searches for the phrase "what's up" instead. I'm sure the kinks will be worked out, though.

You are correct. That does not help. This is extremely frustrating. And I am in the US.

Can you say 'OK Google now, read notifications' ?

-Nexus 10-

It's awesome to use in the car. Hear a notification, say the magic words and it tells you what the notification is for...

Aha! Someone else with my issue! I'm in the UK with UK settings and the "what's up" phrase just kicks off a search. However "Read Notifications" works perfectly.

It works about 50 percent of the time for me. And the 4 Non Blondes group must be thrilled at all the sudden Google hits they're getting lately

I love how whoever "Admin"ed this thread made the same incorrect assumption that the first responder (to the thread I was in) did.
    They merged this thread with a thread for a completely different issue despite posts specifically stating that they are not the same issue.

Why not merge all these threads? They all deal with the Moto X.

My favorite part is that this thread now contains a link to this thread for help. That post is then followed by a post from me saying that this thread is not helpful in answering the new question in this thread.

*Facepalm*
    JoeNM84 likes this.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

I just say "OK Google, Whats up?" I don't use "now". If I use "now" I will get a google search of "What's Up". I have trouble with touchless control always working, but I think it has more to do with my voice/speaking than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by C0deM0nkey View Post
    Aha! Someone else with my issue! I'm in the UK with UK settings and the "what's up" phrase just kicks off a search. However "Read Notifications" works perfectly.
    And to solve my own issue...

In the UK the trigger is "What's new" not "What's up".
    Ry likes this.

I found out that mine doesn't like what's up when I've already done a search. If the phone is locked it works fine.

Posted via my Moto X DE

is it working fine with "OK Google, Whats up? it answers back your notifications?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast