Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Strange notification sound

So recently, over the past few days, my moto x has been making a weird sound (sort of like a gong or a bell) only while driving, and seemingly at random. There is no associated notification with the sound. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought it might be the phone letting me know it found a bluetooth signal, so I turned off the bluetooth while in driving assist. It is really annoying, so any help identifying and stopping it would be greatly appreciated.
    I just downloaded and installed a notification history app, so that might help give me some insight.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-09-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Default Re: Strange notification sound

You don't have an app that alerts you when you are going faster then the speed limit do you?

Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nope, at least none that I know of. Would that be something I had to download, or would google maps be doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mallis View Post
    Nope, at least none that I know of. Would that be something I had to download, or would google maps be doing that?
    I don't think gmaps has that. But something else might. No speed trap apps installed?

If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!

Default Re: Moto X: Strange notification sound

I am facing same problem. My phone even make sound when it is ideal for some time and i try to pick it up. It is very irritating.

Weather storm alerts? First time it happened to me it surprised the heck out of me since I never really went about setting one up (turned out it was buried in a weather app)

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

I am having the same thing happen to me. It started a couple weeks ago and I haven't added any different apps. I'm getting a ding dong sound that reminds me of a doorbell chime. It happens randomly at all times of the day and night. I've gone through all my apps to make sure there is no notification sounds checked that shouldn't be. Also, the chime that it makes isn't in my list of notification sounds. Could it be some update to one of the motorola services? It's getting to be annoying lately. Hopefully someone else has had this happen and found a solution.
    Moto X
    iPhone 5S

Loss or acquire of signal/connection? Cellular or WiFi? Lightflow has those maybe other apps.

Might check Emergency Alerts, located in Settings, More, at the the bottom of screen Emergency Alerts. Also, check in Settings, Sound, Emergency Tone, has Off, Alert and Vibrate, mine is set too Off. Could be your problem?

Like Take57 said, if you have a weather alert app., their notification sounds can be really buried and you have to look carefully to find the notification settings. I had one like that and drove me nuts before I found it and turned it off.
    Last edited by jexx; 07-11-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Any chance it's a roaming alert? If your nearest tower goes wonky (yes I'm with Sprint so Often) you might get some kind of warning tone. If service pops back to normal the roaming notification would disappear.

I had this problem a while ago. I could not figure it out! Turns out I was laying my phone down on library books with those anti-theft stickers in the covers. The NFC in my moto x was picking up on the sticker and making the gong sound. But there was no notification or anything to let me know what was going on.

Thanked by: