Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Default Moto X: Why is my OS usage so high?

Iam completely stock 4.4.2 on my Verizon moto x. I am not used to seeing the OS usage so high. Is this normal? If not, does anyone have any ideas?I just have a few news apps, social networks, and Spotify etc etc. instaled, nothing that I have not had on all my other phones. This seems weird to me. What do you guys think?Moto X: Why is my OS usage so high?-screenshot_2014-03-10-21-55-05.png

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Why is my OS usage so high?

Does the device sit idle a lot?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Does the device sit idle a lot?

Yes, it sits unused most of the day while I'm at work. Is that all out is?

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano89 View Post
    Yes, it sits unused most of the day while I'm at work. Is that all out is?

Yes. Something always accounts for drain. The more a device sits idle, the more the OS is going to be the battery consumer. Play a game for 10 minutes and watch it change.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Thanked by 2:
    RyRyano89 
    Ry likes this.

Default Re: Moto X: Why is my OS usage so high?

Try deleting and disabling chrome, and use cm secure browser. Also get rid of the Facebook app. I did that last night and my android is went down

Yes. Something always accounts for drain. The more a device sits idle, the more the OS is going to be the battery consumer. Play a game for 10 minutes and watch it change.

I've got the same observation/comment/question regarding that for you as well. Now, I am an experienced android person but honestly have never heard of that before. For example, When i got to work this morning at 7, my battery was of course 100% charged. I looked at it a few times during the day (not many at all) and my mid day or so, I looked at my battery percentage, and I was down to aboutu 50% And furthermore, my battery stats showed that my Android OS was also taking up about 47% battery and just can't figure out why.

Understand that you are looking at a percentage of the power drain. So of the power used, OS used 34%. As mentioned above play a game and you will see those ratios change. Many people look at this as an amount of power used not a percentage, and that causes confusion

Quote Originally Posted by realitydigg View Post
    Understand that you are looking at a percentage of the power drain. So of the power used, OS used 34%. As mentioned above play a game and you will see those ratios change. Many people look at this as an amount of power used not a percentage, and that causes confusion
    Right and i understand that 47% of the power of the battery is used by the OS, however that shouldn't even be the case when I'm barely using the phone all day long though correct? I'm curious about this...

Seems like something is keeping the phone awake.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Photo_Drew View Post
    Seems like something is keeping the phone awake.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    nah, at least with mine, there's nothing...active notifications are awesome, everything is status quo...lol

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Take mine for example. Of the 32% drained, 29% of that is the OS. To put it another way, roughly 10% of the total drain is my OS.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto X: Why is my OS usage so high?-1394577970864.jpg  

Phone Timeline
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Thanks for the response, I played a game and it dropped. Guess I just used my phone less the last couple of days. Lol. Sorry for the silly question

Take mine for example. Of the 32% drained, 29% of that is the OS. To put it another way, roughly 10% of the total drain is my OS.

Right, however all i'm saying is that at work, when i'm barely using my phone, my Android OS shouldn't be skyrocketing vs. other days when both my Display usage, and my Android OS usage are at 10% battery. Another person on this thread said that by playing a game should remedy this somehow...

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Thanks for the response, I played a game and it dropped. Guess I just used my phone less the last couple of days. Lol. Sorry for the silly question

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Phone Timeline
    sharkita likes this.

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Tap the Android OS section. The "keep awake" stat is far more telling.

Quote Originally Posted by globster2000 View Post
    Try deleting and disabling chrome, and use cm secure browser. Also get rid of the Facebook app. I did that last night and my android is went down

I meant my android OS went from 30% to 5% after I deleted and disable chrome and Facebook from my moto x.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

wait so now i'm confused a little bit..the more your phone goes idle the more battery drain we'll experience? Vs playing with it moreso and we will see less battery drain? lol am i understanding this correctly?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eric002 View Post
    wait so now i'm confused a little bit..the more your phone goes idle the more battery drain we'll experience? Vs playing with it moreso and we will see less battery drain? lol am i understanding this correctly?
    No, but when your phone is sitting idle, it isn't doing much so what little drain you DO have is mostly from the OS because not much else is going on at that time.

Golfdriver97 likes this.

No, but when your phone is sitting idle, it isn't doing much so what little drain you DO have is mostly from the OS because not much else is going on at that time.

well see now that makes sense. so , again, how do we remedy this high Android OS battery issue or just have the battery last longer per charge?

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

well see now that makes sense. so , again, how do we remedy this high Android OS battery issue or just have the battery last longer per charge?
    Your phones charge will always drain. The battery stats is just what is counting it. When your phone sits idle the OS will drain it. When you are using your phone, something else will, most likely the screen, and any app that refreshes a lot.

Phone Timeline

Your phones charge will always drain. The battery stats is just what is counting it. When your phone sits idle the OS will drain it. When you are using your phone, something else will, most likely the screen, and any app that refreshes a lot.
    right no i understand that, but what i'm saying is that, sometimes, that battery drains much slower rather than what happened today. whereas if i check it mid day at work instead of being depleated to 56% it would just be drained to 75 or 80%. i'm just wondering why.

In my opinion, high Android OS usage is normal for this phone, but not for Android in general. I just looked at my Nexus 7 and it has been off the charger for 22h and 41m with only 16m of screen on time and "Tablet idle" is tops in the battery usage stats, just as I would expect with such little usage. Android OS is reporting only 10% of the battery usage.

Before this phone I had a RAZR Maxx HD and if it sat idle for a long period of time, "Phone idle" would always be tops in the list. Android OS was always in the 5-10% range. Now, maybe it's something as simple as the Moto X lumping things in with Android OS that other devices report elsewhere, I don't know. But I think there's definitely something on this phone that prevents it from going into deep sleep.

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

right no i understand that, but what i'm saying is that, sometimes, that battery drains much slower rather than what happened today. whereas if i check it mid day at work instead of being depleated to 56% it would just be drained to 75 or 80%. i'm just wondering why.
    Other things like signal strength come into play. A cellphone will kill itself trying to maintain a weak signal.

Phone Timeline

Other things like signal strength come into play. A cellphone will kill itself trying to maintain a weak signal.

um ok well i suppose that i'll just have to play around with my phone a little bit more during the day to see if i can get less drainage which i know is possible because it's usually absolutely fine.

I notice in your screenshot in your original post that you were on WiFi...take a look at Settings>tap on the 'Wi-Fi' and on the next screen, tap on the 3-dots lower right (overflow), tap on Advanced>be sure Network notification is un-checked so that the phone won't continually be awake while it scans for open networks. If you ever really want to scan for a short time go in and check it temporarily.
    I only have WiFi notifications and WiFi optimization checked on that screen (and only seldom use WiFi).

Here are two screenshots from a day with heavy use:
    Moto X: Why is my OS usage so high?-battery1.png
    Moto X: Why is my OS usage so high?-battery2.png
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast