Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jlgraham
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HELP! Accidentally deleted pictures

So I am on vacation and took a ton of pictures today. I accidentally took a screenshot and went and deleted it. What I didn't realize, it was a folder of all my photos from the day. So now they are all gone. Is there any way to recover them??
    Banned

Default Re: HELP! Accidentally deleted pictures

Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasandroid1 View Post
    So I am on vacation and took a ton of pictures today. I accidentally took a screenshot and went and deleted it. What I didn't realize, it was a folder of all my photos from the day. So now they are all gone. Is there any way to recover them??

You didn't, by chance, have Google+ Photos backing things up, did you?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

No I checked and I didn't have it backing it up

Your sol

Posted via Android Central App

No I checked and I didn't have it backing it up
    I'm sorry. I can't thing of anything else. I empathize, though.

Stop using your device, go to a computer and Google "android file recovery". There are a number of tools available, but have no clue as to which is best.

Android is no different than other file systems. They have not been erased... their entries in the file system have just been removed. The more you use your phone (and the more it writes to storage), the more likely these files will be overwritten because you told the system you were done with them (when you deleted them). If you had plenty of free space, and have not done much on your phone since you deleted them, you have a good chance to recover them.

This is good advice. The quick No's above were unnecessarily alarmist. Good luck.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts

I've recovered photos I deleted *months* earlier while playing around using DiskDigger ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ech.diskdigger) but it requires root.

Makes you a little leary about selling your old phone... Heh
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks for all the helpful advice! I haven't been able to get to a computer so I will try today.

Before you sell your phone, wouldn't a factory reset delete any ability to recover deleted files? Geez I hope so!

Thanks for all the helpful advice! I haven't been able to get to a computer so I will try today.
    You should turn on a photo backup service. You can backup as many photos as you want for free with Google+ as long as you set them to upload at a limited resolution (it's a setting and resizes them automatically). Full resolution photos count against your Google Drive quota, but I believe most Moto X's came with 50GB free Google Drive space for 2 years (mine did). Either way, buying more space on GDrive is now super cheap!

I have also used Dropbox for photo backups and it works perfectly as well. Both Dropbox and Google+ will upload pretty much instantly (depending on your settings & data connection), so even if you delete the photos from your phone, you still have access.
    Current Device: Moto X VZW
    Previous: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Droid
    Before Android: Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl, iPhone (Original), Sidekick XL
    Thanked by:
    weksa 
    weksa likes this.