Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By blackberriquero
  • 3 Post By JRDroid
  • 3 Post By JRDroid
  • 1 Post By sting7k
  • 1 Post By sharkita
  • 1 Post By John Doe40
  • 1 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Think the Moto X camera is bad?

Look at the photos of Roly

Sent from my Moto x, my weapon of choice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Think the Moto X camera is bad?-1395521047766.jpg   Think the Moto X camera is bad?-1395521063845.jpg  
    Aquila, Ry, justin1578 and 3 others like this.

Default Re: Think the moto x camera is bad?

I too can take the occassional really good photo with my Moto X. That does not change the fact that 90% of the time the pictures I take look significantly worse than the pictures I used to take with my HTC One or the pictures my wife takes with her iPhone 5c.

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I too can take the occassional really good photo with my Moto X. That does not change the fact that 90% of the time the pictures I take look significantly worse than the pictures I used to take with my HTC One or the pictures my wife takes with her iPhone 5c.
    This is my biggest worry. I just got this phone last week, and even coming from the S3, I'm really disappointed. I read that back late last year, Moto did a significant upgrade to their phone app. Do I have that? Or do I need to update something? Or was it really just worse before?

Quote Originally Posted by freakyhair View Post
    This is my biggest worry. I just got this phone last week, and even coming from the S3, I'm really disappointed. I read that back late last year, Moto did a significant upgrade to their phone app. Do I have that? Or do I need to update something? Or was it really just worse before?
    It was worse before. If you are on 4.4 or 4.4.2 (one of which you will have if you just got the phone), your phone already has the updated camera software.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by freakyhair View Post
    You need to have kitkat

Sent from my Moto x, my weapon of choice!

Default Re: Think the Moto X camera is bad?

Doesn't take as good of photos as the S3 but for me the other features and battery trump the camera and I'm a photography enthusiast.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

I've had the Moto X for almost 2 weeks now, takes significantly better photos than my old galaxy s2

Quote Originally Posted by Photo_Drew View Post
    Doesn't take as good of photos as the S3 but for me the other features and battery trump the camera and I'm a photography enthusiast.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Moto X and its successor will likely be my next phone. It is just misleading to potential buyers to imply that this camera is good. Can it take the occassional good shot? Yes, and we have a whole sticky thread dedicated to those already. But, on the whole, it is not a good camera.
    sharkita, John Doe40 and nj1266 like this.

I came from the OG Droid, D2G, and the Droid 4. So the X camera seems good to me.

Posted via Android Central App

Cute dog! And almost any camera can take decent outdoor shots. Indoors the x falls down

Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock JB 4.2

Outside in the sun the Moto X is fine. It's every where else that's it is not even close to the quality of my iPhone 5.
    nj1266 likes this.

Its challenged by inside low light conditions. So unless you want the flash to ruin the picture you have carefully evaluate the conditions. 4.4.2 helped but its still a bit of an issue

No doubt the camera is the weak spot of this phone. Coming from the Atrix, which had an even worse camera than the V9 RAZR I had before it, the Moto X camera isn't bad, but I do avoid taking pictures indoors. The plusses outweigh the minuses for me on this phone, and a better camer would make it just perfect.
    jephanie likes this.

Yeap. Outdoors or in very good indoor lighting conditions it can take decent (but not "amazing") photos. When the level of lighting decreases - it starts to take awful photos (one of the worst I've seen on recent models of various smartphones). Which is extremely disappointing considering that the Moto X is pretty good at everything else. I really hope Motorola/Lenovo make it highest priority to improve the camera (larger sensor size, OIS) for next model.
    nj1266 likes this.

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

Nice pics, still would be nice, if Motorola or Google allowed us to adjust the pixel size, who wants to send pictures by email 10 MP, would be nice also limits the number of pictures we can store on our device without and external storage device.

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe40 View Post
    Yeap. Outdoors or in very good indoor lighting conditions it can take decent (but not "amazing") photos. When the level of lighting decreases - it starts to take awful photos (one of the worst I've seen on recent models of various smartphones). Which is extremely disappointing considering that the Moto X is pretty good at everything else. I really hope Motorola/Lenovo make it highest priority to improve the camera (larger sensor size, OIS) for next model.
    Well the good thing is they did put the camera app on the Play store, so it will be easy to update as they go. hopefully if more people post there reviews they will read.

Quote Originally Posted by DonB View Post
    Nice pics, still would be nice, if Motorola or Google allowed us to adjust the pixel size, who wants to send pictures by email 10 MP, would be nice also limits the number of pictures we can store on our device without and external storage device.
    I remember that my Droid 2 allowed me to change the pixels from VGA, 2MP, and to whatever it's max was. It was rather nice at the time.

Yea, you can update the app itself but I believe the image quality is affected by hardware limitations of this particular sensor... Otherwise Motorola would've already significantly improved it in previous camera updates (which did improve the image quality but only slightly).

Still good enough for me.
    mumfoau likes this.

My outdoor shots are great. My indoor ones are...bad. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DonB View Post
    I want to email 10 MP pictures. If I want to send someone a lower resolution picture, I'll send them an MMS or email them the Google+ autobackup version (which scales it down to about 4 MP). If you're emailing the photo, why wouldn't you want the lowest resolution possible? Even at 1.5 Mbps, a 10 MP photo takes almost no time at all to download, and who realistically has a slower connection than that most of the time?

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yscty View Post
    I've had the Moto X for almost 2 weeks now, takes significantly better photos than my old galaxy s2
    That is not a ringing endorsement now is it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man all this B.S. about the camera on phones is such a waste of air. The Moto x camera is much better then all the reviews on youtube that trashed it.