Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Reconfirmed - Moto X is best phone of the year

    Paisley, Ry and davidnc like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    After only having this phone 2 weeks I'm not surprised one bit, easily the best phone I've had.. .
    davidnc and mayconvert like this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    I actually saw that on Google+ yesterday. I thought that it was interesting, but it is hard to argue with. I think that it is telling that the phone isn't spec'd out like all of the other smartphones that hit the market in 2013. Who would have thought that a phone with a 4.7 inch 720p screen, with a slightly slower processor and a questionable camera would be the best smartphone for the year? But like I said, it would be hard to argue that it isn't. It I didn't have the Nexus 5, I would have definitely gone with the Moto X.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I actually saw that on Google+ yesterday. I thought that it was interesting, but it is hard to argue with. I think that it is telling that the phone isn't spec'd out like all of the other smartphones that hit the market in 2013. Who would have thought that a phone with a 4.7 inch 720p screen, with a slightly slower processor and a questionable camera would be the best smartphone for the year? But like I said, it would be hard to argue that it isn't. It I didn't have the Nexus 5, I would have definitely gone with the Moto X.
    I think it is telling too that Roku refreshed their entire line last year and yet the home theather gadget of the year is a $35 dongle that you can't even use by itself. We have gotten to the point in a lot of tech where the most powerful is not always the best. You can sacrafice power and more than make up for it with an elegant user experience and have a better product.
    dkhmwilliams likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    So says Engadget. Obviously, opinions are like you know what... I had a moto x and it couldn't hold a candle to the LG G2 or my Nexus 5, and I'm not just talking about specs.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I think it is telling too that Roku refreshed their entire line last year and yet the home theather gadget of the year is a $35 dongle that you can't even use by itself. We have gotten to the point in a lot of tech where the most powerful is not always the best. You can sacrafice power and more than make up for it with an elegant user experience and have a better product.
    You know something, I completely agree it's not a speck race with the Moto X chromecast. You're right it's all about the user experience of the end of the day with the custom Motorola X 8 CPU and kit Kat fresh your Android without any user interface over the operating system it just runs extremely clean and it's great

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
    ...I had a moto x and it couldn't hold a candle to the LG G2 or my Nexus 5, and I'm not just talking about specs.
    Then, what ARE you talking about?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
    So says Engadget. Obviously, opinions are like you know what... I had a moto x and it couldn't hold a candle to the LG G2 or my Nexus 5, and I'm not just talking about specs.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Of course there are going to be people who think differently with the staff at Engadget. But I do think that it is noteworthy that the Moto X was the smartphone they chose. And it is particularly interesting why they chose it. When it comes to Android, specs have been what consumers focused on. But with the Moto X, that wasn't the intention. It was user experience and they hit a homerun. I also thought it showed that manufacturers don't have to continue to oversize smartphones to have a hit. Not only that, it also shows how great performance could be if manufacturers scaled back on their skins.
    davidnc and Aquila like this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    Of course there are going to be people who think differently with the staff at Engadget. But I do think that it is noteworthy that the Moto X was the smartphone they chose. And it is particularly interesting why they chose it. When it comes to Android, specs have been what consumers focused on. But with the Moto X, that wasn't the intention. It was user experience and they hit a homerun. I also thought it showed that manufacturers don't have to continue to oversize smartphones to have a hit. Not only that, it also shows how great performance could be if manufacturers scaled back on their skins.
    You're so totally right, with every Android device that comes out it suspects race to see who finishes the fastest typist. But the Moto X proves that you don't need high spec and high horsepower to win the race until about those fast smooth user experience

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    This clearly shows that Motorola or Google got it right. While the other brands don't have a clue.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by lmf1030 View Post
    This clearly shows that Motorola or Google got it right. While the other brands don't have a clue.
    "don't have a clue."
    That's a bit extreme. I am not knocking the moto x but there are other fantastic choices out there. And some people have needs outside the moto x.

    ಠ益ಠ
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    If only the moto 360 and moto x comes out. *drool*

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
    So says Engadget. Obviously, opinions are like you know what... I had a moto x and it couldn't hold a candle to the LG G2 or my Nexus 5, and I'm not just talking about specs.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    That's an interesting pair of comparisons. I considered both of those gadgets. I decided against the G2 because it was too large to hold comfortably (for me) and against the Nexus for a variety of reasons. But one aspect I cared a lot about was battery life, and I understood that the Nexus had significantly worse battery life than the Moto X, and the LG G2 had significantly better battery life. Is that what you found? Or was I misinformed?
    Ry likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by lmf1030 View Post
    This clearly shows that Motorola or Google got it right. While the other brands don't have a clue.
    I wouldn't say the others don't have a clue. There's a market for what they produce, as evidenced by their sales. But I think Motorola hit the mail on the head in trying to address a previously ignored part of the market.


    Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk
    Snake Griffin likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
    I wouldn't say the others don't have a clue. There's a market for what they produce, as evidenced by their sales. But I think Motorola hit the mail on the head in trying to address a previously ignored part of the market.


    Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk
    The interesting thing is that the other Android phones that are being sold on the market aren't bad phones of course the most people don't need that high end of specs that they won't use such as high powered CPUs so much RAM etc cetera. The reason why the Model s is a successful is it a software acceleration inside of it and the stock clean vanilla Android software I had samsung galaxy s3 when it first launched in the United States with Verizon Wireless, and within about a month or so I realize that the battery life stunk on it and I hated TouchWiz.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
    I wouldn't say the others don't have a clue. There's a market for what they produce, as evidenced by their sales. But I think Motorola hit the mail on the head in trying to address a previously ignored part of the market.


    Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk
    Exactly--people have different needs and priorities, and there's no one device that's best for everybody. Of the three phones I was considering before deciding on the X, the G2 was one of them, and I still think it's a great smartphone (N5 wasn't an option for us VZW users). That said, I hope that Lenovo's direction for Motorola doesn't take it into the spec wars that the two top Korean makers (and maybe Sony) seem to want to stoke with their leapfrogging screen resolutions and number of features that many of us would never end up using.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    I just ordered a custom Moto X and I'm hoping it will definitely replace my iPhone 5S.

    Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Mowgli likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hong View Post
    ...That said, I hope that Lenovo's direction for Motorola doesn't take it into the spec wars that the two top Korean makers (and maybe Sony) seem to want to stoke with their leapfrogging screen resolutions and number of features that many of us would never end up using.
    I too hope that Motorola stays on its current track following the acquisition. In my earlier post I refrained from using the word "gimmicky", but I think it applies to a lot phones currently on the market. To me, a gimmicky feature is one that you never/rarely use, but probably sounded/looked great in a marketing brochure or demo. I'm sure I could name such features on most current phone models if I were more familiar with them, and I'm sure there are people who consider Active Display or Touchless Controls to be gimmicky, but for me that's not the ase - I use them every day. I'm just happy that Motorola is the one that addressed my part of the market - I've never been disappointed with a Motorola phone, and have never been truly satisfied with one from another manufacturer.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
    I wouldn't say the others don't have a clue. There's a market for what they produce, as evidenced by their sales. But I think Motorola hit the mail on the head in trying to address a previously ignored part of the market.


    Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk
    I wonder how it handles the heavy games..
    I'm very excited about Moto X cuz i recently ordered one and will be recieving it within 3 4 days!
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
    So says Engadget. Obviously, opinions are like you know what... I had a moto x and it couldn't hold a candle to the LG G2 or my Nexus 5, and I'm not just talking about specs.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Care to elaborate?
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Before I purchased my first Blackberry, all of my cell/dumb phones was Motorola brand, thats been over eight (8) years ago. I wish the Motorola brand well, but their not number one in my book.
  22. #22  
    Zig261's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    If it comes from Engadget and Droid Life, their opinions are invalid. Both of those sites are known to be hard-on Moto fan boys.

    Posted via Android Central App
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Zig261 View Post
    If it comes from Engadget and Droid Life, their opinions are invalid. Both of those sites are known to be hard-on Moto fan boys.

    Posted via Android Central App
    lol Engadget.

    DROID Life I understand though. Besides a few HTCs and a Samsung, all DROIDs are Motorola.

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by alhadee12 View Post
    I just ordered a custom Moto X and I'm hoping it will definitely replace my iPhone 5S.

    Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Is Iphone even relevant anymore.???? Clearly the Android rules. At one time the Iphone could had rule the market. But countless spoon feeding people and now with no Jobs. The future is very dimmed.

    Hope Lenovo don't screw up the good thing Motorola is doing with the moto x. I can honestly say this phone is what I always wanted. Yes the camera could improved but not important as you will never see camera phones out performs cameras. Just would never happen.. The moto x processing is fast enough for me and with LTE in my area you don't notice a lack of speed what so ever. I got the 32 gig moto x which is good but would be nice for a micro usb slot for additional memory would work. All these are very minor. But to others it's a must. But cell phones today came a long way from the bag phone. So basiclly saying enjoy the technology while it's still around.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Reconfirmed-Moto X is best phone of the year

    Quote Originally Posted by Zig261 View Post
    If it comes from Engadget and Droid Life, their opinions are invalid. Both of those sites are known to be hard-on Moto fan boys.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I haven't been on Engadget's site for a year or two, but when I did go there, they didn't have the time of day for anything but the iPhone. Apparently that's changed because before there wasn't an iPhone that got below a 9 rating, and there wasn't an Android phone that got a 9 rating (going by their rating scale).

    Regardless, all of these sites have their own biases, no matter how impartial they try to be. The reason being is the reporting is done by humans, and we have a tendency to be biased now matter how hard we try. Doesn't matter if the site is OS specific or covers everything, sometimes it's the entire staff, sometimes each writer has their own bias apart from each other. And it isn't limited to the mobile industry, look at Consumer Reports. It's a safe bet that domestic cars will do poorly, and foreign cars will excel.

    What I do is find review sites that have rated stuff I already have, and see if they come to the same conclusions as I do. That way I know that I'll probably have the same experience. It's really the only way make accurate use of their reviews, it should be in line with what you want, not what everyone else thinks, because you're going to be the one dealing with it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Note 3: This phone is sweet
    By rpsilva95 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 10:34 AM
  2. Think the Moto X camera is bad?
    By blackberriquero in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 08:24 AM
  3. HTC One (M8): Big four US networks on the 25th?
    By kronosqq in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 04:19 PM
  4. [Game][Free][2.2+] Through the Hoop - Physics Puzzler
    By rivernosentertainment in forum Android Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 09:42 AM
  5. SmartTM - Best GTD app on Android [Free]
    By Marek Kulesza in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2014, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions