Loving my new Moto X...

Slantize

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
never posted here, but anyways:

this is my second experience with android. my first was an htc one x two years ago, had it until may or june of last year before i got tired of it and picked up a 32gb iphone 5. i really liked the htc one x on cyanogenmod but it was too buggy for a real daily driver - i'm not huge into tweaking, just wanted the stock android experience because i sincerely think it's 100x better than sense. there was also a battery bug with the soc used concerning the lte, although i don't remember all the details of what caused it anymore - essentially the battery would drain at 1-2% per second when it occurred until rebooted and it was several times a day in my case. anyway, recently switched off my parent's line to get my girlfriend and i a plan on our own, so i started researching new phones.

the candidates upon going to the store were: galaxy s4 (thought maybe it wouldn't feel as cheap as it looked...nope), note 3 (thought the big screen would be cool, too big though), htc one (still not a fan of sense, despite the fact that it's much better now), and the moto x. i actually had it mostly down to the moto x and the htc one but like most, the specs looked underwhelming compared to the others on paper and the camera was pretty awful. then i started finding reviews from after the camera updates and found it to be acceptable, along with other good signs such as quick updates to latest android, moto-specific apps moved to play store for easier/quicker updates, etc.

anyway - played with all the phones listed when we got to the store and disqualified the s4 and note 3 within 30 seconds of touching them. the htc one was alright but still plagued with sense, and i'm not too interested in rooting, unlocking and flashing buggy roms anymore. picked up the moto x and fell in love with the in-hand feel, and was pleasantly surprised at how much better the amoled display was on it (to me) compared to the galaxy s3 from when i was debating between it and the htc one x awhile back. what really shocked me, though, was the fact that it felt smoother than any other phone in the store, despite having lesser specs than all the other flagships next to it. got hooked up with a 4gb mobile share plan with the girlfriend and a white moto x and headed out for the day!

it came with 4.2.2 installed, i updated a few times and am currently on 4.4 (4.4.2 not available for me yet) and i love it. battery life is great, although i did have a similar battery bug as the htc one x had the first night i got it, but i haven't seen anything else glitchy happen. the touchless controls work amazingly well and are very handy and i forgot how much i loved google now. moto assist is pretty neat. the shutter is super quick on the camera and since i'm an awful photographer, it's as acceptable as any camera for my quick shots. i think my favorite feature, though, is active display. i love how it always turns on everytime i pick it up off my desk or take it out of my pocket. and, i finally switched to having google hangouts handle texting, and i have to say, that is a fantastic app. much better design than any other stock sms app, period.

kind of wish i would've gone with a customized one, but i wouldn't have changed anything from the stock white except the accent colors to black, so i'm not worried about it.

just thought i'd share my experiences - never really posted on any android forums, but i'm far more excited about this phone than i was even with the htc one x when i first got it. a good phone for sure, but doesn't hold a candle to this beauty! looking forward to the successor to the moto x for my next upgrade - was going to hold out for the htc one m8 but i don't feel that htc or samsung are doing much to innovate, despite the excellent build quality of the htc one.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
never posted here, but anyways:

this is my second experience with android. my first was an htc one x two years ago, had it until may or june of last year before i got tired of it and picked up a 32gb iphone 5. i really liked the htc one x on cyanogenmod but it was too buggy for a real daily driver - i'm not huge into tweaking, just wanted the stock android experience because i sincerely think it's 100x better than sense. there was also a battery bug with the soc used concerning the lte, although i don't remember all the details of what caused it anymore - essentially the battery would drain at 1-2% per second when it occurred until rebooted and it was several times a day in my case. anyway, recently switched off my parent's line to get my girlfriend and i a plan on our own, so i started researching new phones.

the candidates upon going to the store were: galaxy s4 (thought maybe it wouldn't feel as cheap as it looked...nope), note 3 (thought the big screen would be cool, too big though), htc one (still not a fan of sense, despite the fact that it's much better now), and the moto x. i actually had it mostly down to the moto x and the htc one but like most, the specs looked underwhelming compared to the others on paper and the camera was pretty awful. then i started finding reviews from after the camera updates and found it to be acceptable, along with other good signs such as quick updates to latest android, moto-specific apps moved to play store for easier/quicker updates, etc.

anyway - played with all the phones listed when we got to the store and disqualified the s4 and note 3 within 30 seconds of touching them. the htc one was alright but still plagued with sense, and i'm not too interested in rooting, unlocking and flashing buggy roms anymore. picked up the moto x and fell in love with the in-hand feel, and was pleasantly surprised at how much better the amoled display was on it (to me) compared to the galaxy s3 from when i was debating between it and the htc one x awhile back. what really shocked me, though, was the fact that it felt smoother than any other phone in the store, despite having lesser specs than all the other flagships next to it. got hooked up with a 4gb mobile share plan with the girlfriend and a white moto x and headed out for the day!

it came with 4.2.2 installed, i updated a few times and am currently on 4.4 (4.4.2 not available for me yet) and i love it. battery life is great, although i did have a similar battery bug as the htc one x had the first night i got it, but i haven't seen anything else glitchy happen. the touchless controls work amazingly well and are very handy and i forgot how much i loved google now. moto assist is pretty neat. the shutter is super quick on the camera and since i'm an awful photographer, it's as acceptable as any camera for my quick shots. i think my favorite feature, though, is active display. i love how it always turns on everytime i pick it up off my desk or take it out of my pocket. and, i finally switched to having google hangouts handle texting, and i have to say, that is a fantastic app. much better design than any other stock sms app, period.

kind of wish i would've gone with a customized one, but i wouldn't have changed anything from the stock white except the accent colors to black, so i'm not worried about it.

just thought i'd share my experiences - never really posted on any android forums, but i'm far more excited about this phone than i was even with the htc one x when i first got it. a good phone for sure, but doesn't hold a candle to this beauty! looking forward to the successor to the moto x for my next upgrade - was going to hold out for the htc one m8 but i don't feel that htc or samsung are doing much to innovate, despite the excellent build quality of the htc one.

Welcome to Android Central and back to Android :)
The Moto X is an awesome phone. Best one out if you ask me

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X is an odd beast. Coming from a Nexus 4, I ordered both the new 5 and the X, fully expecting to return the X. But after using it for a few days I was hooked.

Yes the camera is a little finicky, but I can take good pics with it so it's really not an issue.

I wished it had a charger you could just set it on, like the pogo pins and wireless chargers of Nexus devices, but that's not a deal breaker.

And man do I wish they could get Bluetooth right, but that's an Android issue l been living with for years.

But the radio reception, speakerphone quality, and all the X specific doodads just make it a lot more useful than any other device I've used. Plus the size and feel just make other devices feel awkward.

But none of this comes across on a spec sheet. And while you can mention this all day in ad copy, you truly don't realize how true it all is until you get it in your hot little hand for a few days.

So I have to give the Moto X the sleeper of the year award. It almost fooled me.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X is an odd beast. Coming from a Nexus 4, I ordered both the new 5 and the X, fully expecting to return the X. But after using it for a few days I was hooked.

Yes the camera is a little finicky, but I can take good pics with it so it's really not an issue.

I wished it had a charger you could just set it on, like the pogo pins and wireless chargers of Nexus devices, but that's not a deal breaker.

And man do I wish they could get Bluetooth right, but that's an Android issue l been living with for years.

But the radio reception, speakerphone quality, and all the X specific doodads just make it a lot more useful than any other device I've used. Plus the size and feel just make other devices feel awkward.

But none of this comes across on a spec sheet. And while you can mention this all day in ad copy, you truly don't realize how true it all is until you get it in your hot little hand for a few days.

So I have to give the Moto X the sleeper of the year award. It almost fooled me.

Yes I must have missed that my Moto X is a beast speakers online music one is better battery life was Google now always on. I'm not gonna lie either, I love my fully customize the phone from moto maker . I heard there's a new software update being pushed out soon call 4. 4. 3 which is supposed to remedy that, bug and improve battery life a little bit I also absolutely love the size of the screen quality.

Posted via Android Central App

Slantize

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central and back to Android :)
The Moto X is an awesome phone. Best one out if you ask me

thanks :) agreed. the new htc one is somewhat tempting, but so much more expensive and heard it's slippery in the hand :( why the s4 over the moto x?! :p

agreed and i think the last comment is extremely accurate, definitely a sleeper. stock android really kills any "android is slow compared to ios/windows phone" comments, but there's just not enough phones using it.

Yes I must have missed that my Moto X is a beast speakers online music one is better battery life was Google now always on. I'm not gonna lie either, I love my fully customize the phone from moto maker . I heard there's a new software update being pushed out soon call 4. 4. 3 which is supposed to remedy that, bug and improve battery life a little bit I also absolutely love the size of the screen quality.

the speaker surprised me. it's VERY loud and quality is quite decent. which it wasn't on the back but since the back is curved it isn't too bad. placement is a lot better than the htc one x's speaker was too, i was always covering that one with my finger.

i'm really hoping the successor has a similar shape (maybe improved a little if possible, similar to the new htc one vs the old htc one, but there's not much to improve on!) and maybe some more beefy paper specs to gain popularity. this phone definitely should be more popular than it is. and i really actually like the camera outside when there's good light, it's just awful indoors, so improvements on that front are always welcome

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I received my moto x a couple days ago. I was using a galaxy s4 and I still have it but I was ready for a change and this phone did not disappoint. There are a few things I miss from the s4 but I love a pure android device and since there is not a nexus on Verizon this is as close as I'll get. Great job Motorola!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
thanks :) agreed. the new htc one is somewhat tempting, but so much more expensive and heard it's slippery in the hand :( why the s4 over the moto x?! :p
Got my S4 in June, before I even knew about the Moto X. Even then, I wouldn't have chosen the X because I was a complete noob at around that time lol.

auctioneero

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I just thought I'd also say I'm tempted by the new HTC One or the Nexus 5 but the Moto X really is incredible. The screen is gorgeous even though it's only 720P and the notification system is awesome! Trust me I'm one of those that has had about every android phone, and am always tempted and intrigued by the newest ones but I just don't think i could switch over. I'd miss so many great features about the Moto X. If only Wood was available when I ordered mine because that's awesome!

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Glad you like it. My first android phone was also an HTC One X (coming from an iPhone 4) and I really liked it but it felt as if that phone just wasn't quite there and the battery life wasn't very good, so I returned it within the 30 day period and got a GS3. The GS3 was a good phone but coming from the HOX screen to the GS3 was really jarring. The sum of GS3s parts was just greater than the HOX so I stuck it out, it was a solid phone but the Moto X is just a step up in every way. It feels like a much more complete package (minus the camera).

Slantize

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
just figured i'd throw an update out there.

i ended up going back to my iphone 5 three or four months after this post - there were some things i really liked about the device (especially software-wise) but the iphone 5 was just smoother and more pleasant to use in my daily apps (facebook, instagram) and much better browsing experience with regards to speed and browser performance in general. also, the moto x display turned grays into purple at minimum brightness, which affected my netflix/at&t u-verse watching in bed at night with brightness on minimum. also, the whites simply weren't white, and after awhile it started to bug me, especially after using the iphone 5 which has an excellent display in regards to color reproduction. the biggest thing for me was battery life, though. a typical day of light usage (as in, going to work at 8:30 am, coming home at 5:30 pm, only using it actively for my 30 minute lunch break to look at facebook, maybe call my girlfriend, and otherwise just send a few texts throughout the day, no more than 15-20) would have me at 15-20% when i got home. if we went out to dinner and i used it at all, i'd be looking at a dead phone on the way home, no doubt.

however, the iphone 5 screen simply proved to be too small for me in the long run, so a few days ago i hit up the at&t store for a new phone. i paid the remaining $100 balance on my next plan for upgrade time and traded in the moto x and picked up a white note 4. on the list to look at this time were the nexus 6, lg g3, htc one m8, and note 4 and potentially the galaxy alpha. unfortunately they didn't have a nexus 6 at the store but it doesn't matter - the phone would definitely be too big for me. i played with them all, and the note 4 impressed me the most, followed by the one m8 and the galaxy alpha. i actually really liked the galaxy alpha, but it didn't seem to have top-of-the-line specs compared to the other devices, in contrast to the note 4 which is about as high end as they come. the resolution was particularly disappointing on the galaxy alpha, also.

i have to say, when holding the note 4/galaxy alpha the first time, i was super impressed with both. the metal band added a great feel, and i personally was a huge fan of the chamfered edges on the iphone 5/5s and was pretty disappointed with the change on the iphone 6 & 6 plus. the samsung band reminded me a lot of the iphone 5, but with the flares on the corners adds a bit more stylized look that i really like. the craftsmanship appears to be top notch, buttons all fit tightly, there's no gaps anywhere to be seen - just a really great design. it's thin, sturdy, and the screen... good lord, the screen is just beautiful. nothing like amoled displays of the past (galaxy s3, 2013 moto x, i'm looking at you, never paid attention to other models) with inaccurate colors and awful whites - nope, everything is just awesome. super high pixel density, excellent colors, great brightness and daylight usability with the auto brightness setting providing an extra boost in the sunlight over what's normally available. the speaker is also quite good, which i was shocked at coming from a samsung. i literally can't find anything to fault this phone for other than touchwiz (which is actually quite decent in the note 4 compared to many others) and the front camera isn't as good as some others on the market, though it's certainly far from being the worst. i've read bad things about the touch sensor, but it actually works quite well for me. i'll admit that it's not as accurate and easy to use as touch id on the iphones, which is a very impressive implementation, but the samsung version works well enough.

the battery situation, however, was one thing that really steered me towards this phone. it has a fairly efficient hardware setup, combined with a massive battery, and an excellent wall charger that can get me a whole day of usage off of a 15 minute charge. about an hour and a half and it'll do 0% to 100%, no sweat. i used this thing for gaming and watching movies on the flight yesterday from portland, oregon to charlotte, north carolina without charging at the chicago airport in between, and then used it to stream music in the car for my 45 minute drive home over bluetooth and spotify, and got home with 8% battery left. it had just over 6.5 hours of screen on time by that point.

also, just to throw this out there - the s-pen is excellent and a lot of fun, i urge everyone to go to a store and try one out just to play with. perhaps not useful to some people very often, but for others it's used often, and it is absolutely a joy to use.

so, have any of you moved on to other devices? if so, what pushed you to them? i had high hopes for the new moto x but the battery and camera are both still very disappointing so i didn't even bother looking at it. i do hope that there's another generation of moto x next year that can finally solve these problems, but i'm losing faith, which is a shame since motorola absolutely has the best stock software experience of any android phone available, at least here in our market in the US.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
...so, have any of you moved on to other devices? if so, what pushed you to them? ....
Good Luck with your new TV. /joke
Having used the OG Moto X was intrigued with the new 2014 Moto. After using it for a short time couldn't get myself to like the size. When I went back to the OG it seemed slow in comparison. Not a large difference but noticeable. After a bit of research settled on the Sony Xperia Z3 compact.
This is a great phone which ticks all the hardware features one would want. I find myself going back to the OG Moto X from time to time; It's features are addicting. Once Lollipop gets to the Sony it will have some of those features. At that time my "break" with the OG might be complete. We shall see.
Good Luck with your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance