Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ch88xy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    899 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Moto X: Use included T-Mobile SIM on $30 plan? (GSM Unlocked Model)

The Moto X - GSM Unlocked model comes with a T-Mobile SIM. Can that be activated online with the $30 plan?

I hear the prepaid and postpaid SIM cards on T-Mobile are different somehow, even before activation. I would hope the "Unlocked" model comes with a prepaid SIM but don't want to assume. The kit in Walmart stores appear to be micro (3FF) rather than nano (4FF) size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Moto X: Use included T-Mobile SIM on $30 plan? (GSM Unlocked Model)

You just have to call and activate Sim and you will be good to go

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry

Global Posts
    14,563 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerbrett View Post
    You just have to call and activate Sim and you will be good to go

Posted via Android Central App
    OP is looking for confirmation that this plan would be available -

Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Credit Check | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile

$30 - 100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds
    This plan is only available for devices purchased from Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if it doesn't work, you can go to Walmart and purchase a cheap phone that can use this plan (I bought one for less than $30), and use the sim inside to register. That's what I did for my Nokia phone.
    Ry likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    899 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    OP is looking for confirmation that this plan would be available -
    $30 - 100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds
    Ry is correct. That's the plan I have on my Nexus 4 and want to do likewise on my Moto X when it arrives.

When I ordered my N4 from the Play Store, I also ordered a Tmo prepaid sim online. Once they both arrived, I activated on T-Moble.com. Easy peasy.
    Since the Moto X - GSM Unlocked model comes with a Tmo sim, I'm trying to find out if that will work for what I want, or if I need to order one that will.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    Ry is correct. That's the plan I have on my Nexus 4 and want to do likewise on my Moto X when it arrives.

When I ordered my N4 from the Play Store, I also ordered a Tmo prepaid sim online. Once they both arrived, I activated on T-Moble.com. Easy peasy.
    Since the Moto X - GSM Unlocked model comes with a Tmo sim, I'm trying to find out if that will work for what I want, or if I need to order one that will.

Thanks!
    It will work. I switched from an iPhone 4 to the Moto X and just called t-mobile and told them I got a new phone and they moved my plan and service to the moto x SIM.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    899 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You were able to activate a new line with the $30 plan over the phone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. I already had the plan. I activated a SIM I bought at target for the iPhone 4. When I got the moto x it had a SIM installed so I called T-Mobile and told them I got a new phone and gave them the info.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    899 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I'm confused. How do you know if it will work if you haven't done it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    Now I'm confused. How do you know if it will work if you haven't done it?
    Are you trying to set up a new number or transfer your existing service from the Nexus 4 to the Moto X? If you are simply going to transfer your current phone number to the Moto X SIM it's very simple. Just call t-mobile and give them the IMEI number etc.
    If you want to activate a new phone number then you would need the SIM activation kit - I bought two micro sim from Target and activated both online with the $30 plan. Or you could get a nano sim kit from tmobile online and activate that. I have read that you could buy an activation kit from a retail box store and then use that to activate the nano sim in the moto x or iPhone but I have not tried that myself.
    Hope that helps.