Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Battery issues

So my screen time is only about a hour and a half. Something is killing my battery. Should I do a factory reset and see of that solve my problem? I use to get 2-3 hours of screen time.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-30-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.2

Default Re: battery

Try uninstalling some of the more recent apps that you've installed. Might do the trick.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Motorola Moto X.

www.twitter.com/tweed7 <----FOLLOW ME!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Deleted some apps but wakelocks like crazy still, I listen to some music would that cause it?

Quote Originally Posted by anthony1117 View Post
    I listen to some music would that cause it?
    You're wondering if listening to music will drain your battery?

It definetly uses battery faster then if you were not listening.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

No. I wondering if that is what's keeping my phone from deep sleep. The kernal seems to not be going into it.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Re: Moto X: Battery issues

What is your signal strength like? I set my Moto x to use 3g only because LTE signal is significantly lower to a point where my 3G is nearly as fast but with 4 bars instead of 2. It may help.

I started having a battery issue on March 28th. I think it was related to a Chrome update.

I cleared the Chrome cache and rebooted the phone. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by KyonCoraeL View Post
    What is your signal strength like? I set my Moto x to use 3g only because LTE signal is significantly lower to a point where my 3G is nearly as fast but with 4 bars instead of 2. It may help.

How do you set it for 3G only

The Songza app was updated and keeps the phone awake. Are you using that for music?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

I'm not the OP, but I'm having substantial wakelock problems (sounds like the OP's problem) over the last few days on my Moto X AT&T 4.4.2. Last week I cleared my cache with no noticeable difference. Apparently, something called "Power Managers Services" is waking up my kernal a lot. Can you guys help me decipher a few battery stat screen shots that make little sense to me?

Wakelock Detectors stats from last week

Moto X: Battery issues-power-manager-services-wakelock.png

100% - 56% overnight last night and the GSam wakelock stats from the same night

Moto X: Battery issues-overnight.png

Moto X: Battery issues-appsucker.png
    I have a phone.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Try restarting your phone? I restart my phone every time I take it off the charger(Once a day in the morning before work) and it stops mysterious Android OS battery drain for me. Maybe this is a separate problem but I haven't seen any screenshots of the battery usage stats for the apps/services.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

How long is you battery lasting, total? My last charge "only" got 2 hours screen on time but lasted nearly 28 hours on the charge.

Music will drain your battery faster for sure, as will listing to podcasts.

Download an app called "System Panel" and let it run. It will help you identify what all is going on that is using battery.

I can use my device the same way two day in a row, one day on wifi and the other day off and the difference in battery life is pretty noticeable. There are a lot of variables.

Global Posts
    1,301 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Maybe ive missed this but even when I have wifi turned off I still have the blue bar showing wifi time on in the battery settings. my gsam battery monitor shows that the wifi is off and has not been used. I just cant figure out for the life of me why the blue bar is still there?

Quote Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
    How long is you battery lasting, total?
    When I first got the phone, I averaged around 17h with moderate use- I listen to a lot of podcasts and audio books. 6 months later I notice it running 11-12 with the same kind of use. The noticeable difference is the idle battery drain and the wakelocks. I'll try restarting the phone more, but I already do that when I notice the juice going down rapidly.

Download an app called "System Panel" and let it run. It will help you identify what all is going on that is using battery.
    I'll try that now.
    I have a phone.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Here are some other things you can try as well if you like.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ving-some.html

I followed the guide and tweaked some of my settings, like turning off NFC and AT&T Wifi Hotspot. Hopefully this will help too
    I have a phone.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

The stats from mine are literally the exact same as roces9. I did a factory reset hoping that it would clear up the issue but is still seems to have not. Also i turn my phone off every night when i charge it so it gets shut down frequently. I still have no idea why it is doing this, and it's idle drain is whats killing me. I do not really know how to read battery stats so i am kinda confused on whats what right now.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony2558 View Post
    Maybe ive missed this but even when I have wifi turned off I still have the blue bar showing wifi time on in the battery settings. my gsam battery monitor shows that the wifi is off and has not been used. I just cant figure out for the life of me why the blue bar is still there?
    I don't believe stats are reset until you recharge the phone completely. At least that's the way it was when I had my S3. So...IF you used wifi at all before recharging your phone the usage will still show up.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony2558 View Post
    If you go to Wifi - Advanced, there is an option called "Scanning Always Available" in which Google location uses Wifi even if it's turned off. If it's checked, your battery stats will show a solid continuous blue bar of Wifi usage.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

I really feel like there is a bug with Android that causes battery drain after coming off the charger. I have had absolutely no battery problems at all since I started restarting my phone AFTER removing it from the charger each time.

edit: And I don't do anything else to save battery. Location mode is High Accuracy, always on 4G, and don't restrict any kind of background data.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNM84 View Post
    I really feel like there is a bug with Android that causes battery drain after coming off the charger. I have had absolutely no battery problems at all since I started restarting my phone AFTER removing it from the charger each time.

edit: And I don't do anything else to save battery. Location mode is High Accuracy, always on 4G, and don't restrict any kind of background data.
    Part of that is the fact that batteries trickle charge full then slowly discharge on down to around 95%, then trickle charge back up again. But, your device still displays 100%. I.E. it's a display "issue". Someone takes their device off the charger @ 100% displayed power when it's really 95% or 96%, plays with it for 5 or 10 minutes, sees where it's at 92% and freak out then going on wild goose chases looking for solutions to issues that don't really exist.

It isn't a bug, it's just how mobile devices report battery. In my opinion, 80% of battery issues aren't real, 19% are due to crappy apps and poor device setup, and the remaining handful really are weird anomalies.

No device is going to run perfect all the time. I've had a time or two where Motorola services have been updated via Google Play and the next battery cycle was wonky. A day or two later, things were back to normal.

Just food for thought.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

A good example is earlier tonight I charged my MX and took it off the charger @ 100% and didn't touch it. 2.5 hours later it was @ 99%. An hour later it was at 96%, perfect sleep as well. Nothing is "wrong" with it. It was just most likely at 98 or 99% to begin with and it took it a few hours to figure out exactly where it was at.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

A good example is earlier tonight I charged my MX and took it off the charger @ 100% and didn't touch it. 2.5 hours later it was @ 99%. An hour later it was at 96%, perfect sleep as well. Nothing is "wrong" with it. It was just most likely at 98 or 99% to begin with and it took it a few hours to figure out exactly where it was at.
    100% agree about the initial % going down faster based on if the battery is really at 100% or 95% and displaying 100%. But there is definitely something causing Andoird OS to eat battery for people. And all I know on my end is that when I reboot my phone it stops or prevents the problem for me. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone or there are different issues for different people. People discus this all over the place all the time, so I give my input on what I do and what has worked for me. When a lot of the people are ones who had no problem on 4.4 or 4.2.2 but get considerably less battery life with 4.4.2... then it is a bug.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

I just think it's difficult to blame the phone. Another example is my current business trip. I'm in the middle of no where Mississippi stuck on 3G alternating between 1 and 2 bars. Even on Wifi in the hotel, my battery life is abysmal. I went from 100% to almost 50% in like 8.5 hours with an hour and a half screen on. The device doesn't sleep as well as it normally does, and of course, it's warm to the touch. No bug required, it's merely network quality, and I don't just mean network strength. I'm on the cusp of LTE coverage coming from somewhere near here and I've seen the phone swap over to it briefly a few different times.

I still say the haptic feedback/vibrate bug is still alive and well in Android, Touchless controls and Voice Commands are tied into "Android OS", and that a lot of people live in poor quality areas in regards to network and they don't even know it. Just more food for thought.

The only obvious bug I've seen has been using Touchless Controls to search for something and having "Google Search" hang and prevent deep sleep. Force stopping it fixed it. It's been several months since I've had an issue with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast