Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By orangezebra
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to make the phone shut up!

I may be stupid but I can't seem to figure out how to get all sounds on the phone turned off completely. I was in a meeting today and my phone somehow thought I was driving and started announcing an incoming text. I fumbled about for a few minutes wondering how to turn off all the sounds but didn't find a quick solution. I thought that turning the volume all the way down would work but apparently not....

Default Re: How to make the phone shut up!

Lmaooo, damn that sucks. Hope someone knows/ help.

Posted via Android Central App

I would probably just hold the power button and turn it off.

I have that problem with Runkeeper. Will. Not. Shut. Up. And it will talk over the mute settings. Grrr! Who approved these apps?

With the screen on, press the Power button, on the power off screen, touch the button at the lower left. That makes the phone silent. I don't know if it silences all apps or just system apps. Repeat or press vol up to turn sounds back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Groid View Post
    With the screen on, press the Power button, on the power off screen, touch the button at the lower left. That makes the phone silent. I don't know if it silences all apps or just system apps. Repeat or press vol up to turn sounds back on.
    Good to know, although I would think that that would be the same as turning the volume all the way down. (FYI to turn it back on with the power button, the button is on the lower right. Took me a sec to see that, but anyway it's easier to just use the volume button.)

Did your calendar entry for the meeting say you're busy? If so, then activating meetings in Moto Assist should silence the phone. I know it works for me. Now as far as spontaneous meetings are concerned I would think you need to silence the phone manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Groid View Post
    It doesn't silence specific apps, it silences the ringer and notification sound channels. Media (music/video) and alarm (alarm clock) channels are unaffected by silent mode. However, any app can change your volume settings - so if an app wants to make noise, there's no way to stop it. An additional step you could take that might outsmart a rogue app is to set your default ringtone or notification sound to a "None". This last step may seem cumbersome if done manually, but it could be automated with something like Tasker, which could also be used to automate setting your media and alarm volumes to zero when silent mode is enabled.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Wow. Thanks all. I had no idea this was so cumbersome on android. On my iPhone I just flipped a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Prevost View Post
    Wow. Thanks all. I had no idea this was so cumbersome on android. On my iPhone I just flipped a switch.
    Holding the power button in and then pressing a button on the screen is cumbersome?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    Holding the power button in and then pressing a button on the screen is cumbersome?
    If it works that way then it's a good solution. If you look at the thread the person who suggested it wasn't sure if it muted all sounds. Do you know if this mutes all sounds? Thanks.

If it works that way then it's a good solution. If you look at the thread the person who suggested it wasn't sure if it muted all sounds. Do you know if this mutes all sounds? Thanks.
    The mute button shows up on top of the phone which indicates that the speaker is off completely. That said, when you want to turn the sound back on just press the volume up button.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

That sounds reasonable. I can live with that for sure. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    The mute button shows up on top of the phone which indicates that the speaker is off completely.
    Not true. The presence of the "silent mode" icon indicates that silent mode is enabled. Silent mode has no effect on media or alarm volume. While I can't find any official documentation on this (even the Moto X Userguide makes no mention of it), every Android phone I've ever used has behaved this way. It's easy enough to confirm - just disable silent mode, set a timer for 10 seconds, and wait for it; then enable silent mode, set the timer again, and see what happens.

Ya alarm works when on silent.

If you go into settings/sound/volumes, you will see there is three separate volumes. Media, notifications, and alarm. Do with these as you wish.

DC Wuff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerbrett View Post
    Ya alarm works when on silent.

I like this feature. I don't want my alarm to fail to wake me because I forgot to un-mute the phone. But I've never had a problem with the phone unexpectedly making noise since I turned off the "turn on music when driving" feature.

Yet another reason to swicth (back) to iPhone.

It does not mute the built-in alarm clock.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoebeAnn View Post
    Yet another reason to swicth (back) to iPhone.
    I got an iPhone 5s for work. Battery life is impressive but I hate iOS. Android and especially the Moto X's customizations (couldn't live without active display and driving mode) are so much better!

You could place a settings shortcut on the homescreen that brings you to sound. Then turn all sliders down.

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

It sounds like you have assist turned on and it was activated during that time. I've never had my phone think I was driving more than 30 seconds after I get out of the car. Anytime assist is on (to announce messages etc.) There will an icon on the top left of the screen. Flick the notification shade down and there should be "I'm not driving/in a meeting etc. to click and it will disable it. Hope this solves your issue.

Thanks The volume for music videao etc turned it off I'm grateful to you

A quick search of Play Store turned up Mute All which appears to mute ALL sounds and later restores them to previous levels. Perhaps that would solve the issue.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.house.volume

ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco