Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Notifications help

New MotoX user, fan so far. Great performer, love the wrist twist and waking it from a dead sleep with voice commands.

Notifications are so far a bother though. I want slightly different notifications per app. Nothing too demanding, pretty straight forward list:

1.) Phone - go nuts. Ring, vibrate, AMOLED Active Notification.
    2.) SMS - audio ping and vibrate, active notification.
    3.) Google Hangouts – tone, active notification on screen, NO vibrate.
    4.) Skype text – active notification only, NO tone, NO vibrate.
    5.) Gmail inbox – active notification only, NO tone, NO vibrate.
    6.) Work email – NOthing

But, I’m finding I can only have one strategy for all notifications with Moto X. I go to Settings>ActiveDisplay and can only select a binary on/off for active notifications. No customization options at all.

Then, in Sounds, I can only assign one standard sound/vibrate strategy for ALL NOTIFICATIONS, rather than having a strategy for each.

Am I overlooking something?

Global Posts
    22,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Notifications help

Quote Originally Posted by PGero View Post
    New MotoX user, fan so far. Great performer, love the wrist twist and waking it from a dead sleep with voice commands.

Notifications are so far a bother though. I want slightly different notifications per app. Nothing too demanding, pretty straight forward list:

1.) Phone - go nuts. Ring, vibrate, AMOLED Active Notification.
    2.) SMS - audio ping and vibrate, active notification.
    3.) Google Hangouts – tone, active notification on screen, NO vibrate.
    4.) Skype text – active notification only, NO tone, NO vibrate.
    5.) Gmail inbox – active notification only, NO tone, NO vibrate.
    6.) Work email – NOthing

But, I’m finding I can only have one strategy for all notifications with Moto X. I go to Settings>ActiveDisplay and can only select a binary on/off for active notifications. No customization options at all.

Then, in Sounds, I can only assign one standard sound/vibrate strategy for ALL NOTIFICATIONS, rather than having a strategy for each.

Am I overlooking something?
    Welcome to the forums.

1. Go into phone> lower left corner is a three dot menu, click that. Then Settings. Here you can alter the ringtone, click vibrate. When a call comes in, the screen will go to the incoming call screen.
    2. SMS, same thing: should be a 3 dot menu somewhere to open up settings within the SMS app.
    3. Hangouts: In hangouts, you want to click the 3 dot menu at the top>settings>you@gmail.com. There should be the changes for both Hangout and video call notifications.
    4. Skype I do not have. Sorry. I would guess the same trend. 3 dot menu somewhere for settings, and in there something should allow those changes.
    5. Gmail: 3 dot menu at the upper right>settings>you@gmail.com>Inbox sound and vibrate.

Hope that helped.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

OK, that is helpful. I had gone into each app under [Settings>Apps] and seen the option of turning notifications on and off for each. But the [Settings>ActiveDisplay] list of them all seemed more convenient. So, via this method you suggest [Open App>Three Dot Settings Menu], I'm actually setting a specific sound notification for each one. That seems right.

I'm curious how/whether this integrates with the Active Screen settings. I guess I can do some trial and error with my wife's phone eventually... But if I have Active Screen notifications off [Settings>ActiveDisplay] from 11:00 to 6:00, will these individual setttings for notification sounds in each app override that?

Global Posts
    22,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Your first part just shuts off notifications to the status bar. The active notifications list is related to that feature.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here