Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Gmail keep awake killing my battery

Has anyone seen this?

My battery life, all of a sudden went way down, and I root caused it to Gmail sync. If I disable sync, no problem. If I have it on, battery gets used up, and from the battery screens, it looks like it is piling up "keep awake" time. I have Gmail v 4.2.7, which is the latest. This screen shot shows a short experiment, but I have seen where sync on for 2 hours, turns into keep awake from Gmail of 1:57 or so. Thanks for any help.

Gmail keep awake killing my battery-screenshot_2014-04-09-08-50-39.pngGmail keep awake killing my battery-screenshot_2014-04-09-08-50-35.png

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Default Re: Gmail keep awake killing my battery

Have you rebooted the phone? Uninstalled & reinstalled updates to Gmail?

Try shortening the number of days to sync, especially if you're someone with a lot of messages in your inbox. Also, try clearing the cache or using something like Clean Master.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nmaster.mguard
    Droid->Droid Bionic->Galaxy S4->Moto X (black/black/yellow)->Moto X (ebony/black/yellow)

Do you have email sync set to push? Try 15 or 30 minutes. See how your results are then.

Unrelated, but there is a notification bar setting to hide those two icons if you want to reclaim some space up there or you can change the icon to display battery percent..

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Wipe data for the Gmail App, reboot, resync, and give it a little time to see if that helps. I've had similar issues in the past on other devices and wiping app data and resyncing always fixed it.

I just have all my email set to not sync. Also I use the email instead of gmail. But that's alot of usage for gmail in a 20 minute span.

Posted via Android Central App