No need to root

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello all you fellow moto x'ers. I have had this phone for a couple days now, and I'm beginning to feel like this is the first phone I have had that I don't feel the need to root. Any phone I have ever rooted I did so because there were certain system level things that I felt needed changed to make the phone worth using. Using this moto x for a couple of days now; I can't find anything I really don't like. I was very familiar with stock Android before buying because I own an og nexus 7 and the G Pad GPE. This moto x takes stock Android and builds on it adding several very useful features. I can't say enough about the overall quality of this phone both physically and on the software side. I have a feeling that my love affair with this thing is just beginning.

Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
At this point if I feel the need to root then it signals one thing to me.... I should have bought a Nexus. The only thing I miss, at this point, is the ability to properly block in app ads.

Posted via Android Central App

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
At this point if I feel the need to root then it signals one thing to me.... I should have bought a Nexus. The only thing I miss, at this point, is the ability to properly block in app ads.

Yeah that would be nice I think, but not worth going through the trouble of rooting for.

It is true that if you need root you should have bought a nexus. I see this phone as a nexus with more added on to make my daily life easier. Vanilla Android for me is a must, but this phone managed that plus added active display, assist, and touchless control. It's truly an amazing device.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Block ads and tether (unlimited data plan) are the only reasons I root anymore.

I used a "demo" retail 16gig unrooted X for nearly two months before buying my Dev Edition X... (I needed 32gig and it was the only 32gig option for VZW at the time, and I knew I wanted to block ads/root).

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree this is the first android phone I haven't rooted. I have had it since Sept.
Edit:
Well actually I did root when the first method came out. But I didn't stay rooted long maybe an hour, so that doesn't really count .ha
I was just curious if that method would work so had to try.

sent from my Moto X

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Tethering would be the only reason I would be tempted to root. Maybe after the warranty is up. I believe usb tethering still works so if I absolutely need it I can go that route.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that would be nice I think, but not worth going through the trouble of rooting for.

It is true that if you need root you should have bought a nexus. I see this phone as a nexus with more added on to make my daily life easier. Vanilla Android for me is a must, but this phone managed that plus added active display, assist, and touchless control. It's truly an amazing device.

I must say I completely agree with you on your point. I've owned many different Android devices in the past starting with the original Droid one and going up from there. I love the stuff and then elena Android and I have used HTC Sense and Samsung TouchWiz which both stink in my opinion although I'd be more inclined to use HTC Sense that in touch with his phone regardless I still love stock experience I've had my verizon 32 gig moto X for about a month or so I say at this point, and yup I'm still in love with it everything's clean, simple, very fast and consistent which is a must. You know I'll be honest I'm at first I thought with the lack of an SD card for removable memory it would suck, but transferring through motorola assist was easy. But since I went to the bigger size which I need I have no problem and I figured that if I ever go to visit my best friend in Michigan soon I can just side load via USB and mp4 movie file in this watching a plane then remove it off my phone when I don't need it anymore.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

I used a "demo" retail 16gig unrooted X for nearly two months before buying my Dev Edition X... (I needed 32gig and it was the only 32gig option for VZW at the time, and I knew I wanted to block ads/root).

My Verizon plan includes Wi-Fi hotspot for free. I only use it occasionally.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I must say I completely agree with you on your point. I've owned many different Android devices in the past starting with the original Droid one and going up from there. I love the stuff and then elena Android and I have used HTC Sense and Samsung TouchWiz which both stink in my opinion although I'd be more inclined to use HTC Sense that in touch with his phone regardless I still love stock experience I've had my verizon 32 gig moto X for about a month or so I say at this point, and yup I'm still in love with it everything's clean, simple, very fast and consistent which is a must. You know I'll be honest I'm at first I thought with the lack of an SD card for removable memory it would suck, but transferring through motorola assist was easy. But since I went to the bigger size which I need I have no problem and I figured that if I ever go to visit my best friend in Michigan soon I can just side load via USB and mp4 movie file in this watching a plane then remove it off my phone when I don't need it anymore.

Yeah USB OTG would do the trick if you need temporary extra space. The lack of SD space is really not an use for me. I have most of my stuff in the cloud, and I have lots of apps installed with plenty of space left. That's just my usage though. I can see where no SD card slot could become an issue for some people.

Even if I were to complain about the lack of SD card, this is still the best phone I have ever used. Hands down.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah USB OTG would do the trick if you need temporary extra space. The lack of SD space is really not an use for me. I have most of my stuff in the cloud, and I have lots of apps installed with plenty of space left. That's just my usage though. I can see where no SD card slot could become an issue for some people.

Even if I were to complain about the lack of SD card, this is still the best phone I have ever used. Hands down.

I'm not debating that at all of course I think this is the best Android phone of all time yes I have everything in my SkyDrive account regardless. I have several pictures on my phone and mostly at apps on my phone of course I still have 20 gigs free, the most of my important valuable pictures are in the cloud as they should be. :p

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of Rooting and USB space, I accidentally deleted my pictures on my Sprint Moto X this weekend, aghhhhh!

I was using the Google+ Photos app to view my pictures and didn't realize that deleting them through the app would delete my locally stored images. I hadn't been backing up my pictures, so unfortunately I couldn't recover them from the Photos "trash."

I've seen a number of different applications, (outside of Dumpster, which would only work if it was installed prior to deleting) to recover deleted photos but it looks like alot of them require rooting. My first question would be are there any ways to recover without rooting.

Second would be a follow up on the first, because it looks like I've found a program through asoftech.com but in order for the program to scan the phone for lost photos, the phone needs to appear on your computer as a drive, (i.e. E: or F: ) When connected to my computer, my phone shows up as a portable media device, not a disk drive. I've gone in to the dev options and enabled usb debugging but still nothing. Its funny, because this is supposed to be a no-root option, yet the only way I think you can get a Moto X to appear as a disk drive is through rooting.

Please somebody prove me wrong and save the day :)

Thanks!!!!

(PS, I've had the Moto X for 2 weeks and am loving it. Best phone I've ever used by far!)

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've just deleted 2 pictures using the google+ / photo gallery, and then checked using the camera app and sliding right to left to open that gallery, and the pictures are still there.

But it may be different if you access the Photo gallery using the shortcut instead of Google+ app? Although I tried a 3rd picture that way, and I could still see it with the camera gallery app?

Speaking of Rooting and USB space, I accidentally deleted my pictures on my Sprint Moto X this weekend, aghhhhh!

I was using the Google+ Photos app to view my pictures and didn't realize that deleting them through the app would delete my locally stored images. I hadn't been backing up my pictures, so unfortunately I couldn't recover them from the Photos "trash."

I've seen a number of different applications, (outside of Dumpster, which would only work if it was installed prior to deleting) to recover deleted photos but it looks like alot of them require rooting. My first question would be are there any ways to recover without rooting.

Second would be a follow up on the first, because it looks like I've found a program through asoftech.com but in order for the program to scan the phone for lost photos, the phone needs to appear on your computer as a drive, (i.e. E: or F: ) When connected to my computer, my phone shows up as a portable media device, not a disk drive. I've gone in to the dev options and enabled usb debugging but still nothing. Its funny, because this is supposed to be a no-root option, yet the only way I think you can get a Moto X to appear as a disk drive is through rooting.

Thanks!!!!

(PS, I've had the Moto X for 2 weeks and am loving it. Best phone I've ever used by far!)

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

Thanks!!!!

The pictures are not gone until they are written over. If you have software designed to recover data that will work with an external drive, then that may work.

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The pictures are not gone until they are written over. If you have software designed to recover data that will work with an external drive, then that may work.

When you say written over, what exactly would that mean...? Would taking more pictures on my phone be an instance where they'd be written over? If so I'm screwed.

Sent via Moto X using AC Forums App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes. When you delete a file that space is marked as "available" but it isn't actually overwritten. The data can still be retrieved until another file gets written to the same spot. This is why simply deleting a file on your computer is pointless if you're trying to hide something, you need a file "shredder" that will overwrite the location several times. This is also why the Recycle Bin in Windows works. The US DoD requires at least 3 (maybe more) overwriting passes when wiping a drive, this is why. Look up DoD disk wipe.

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha. Shoot I think I'm screwed. Taking my phone now to a guy I know through work who does tech consulting for smartphone apps. He says one f his Android guys can probably get them but we'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
When you say written over, what exactly would that mean...? Would taking more pictures on my phone be an instance where they'd be written over? If so I'm screwed.

Really anything written to the phones flash storage can write over deleted files. It's really a craps shoot, but I'd say it's worth a shot.

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
So yesterday was awesome but I didn't get my pictures back. I got to sit down with one of the Android Developers at Cantina Consulting in Boston. He ran some recovery tools for about 30 mins and we kicked it. I got to pick his brain about what he does, which was super fun. He showed me some of the apps he's created and is currently working on. All in all, I got a 30 min info session at a really cool studio and met some really cool people. Even though they couldn't recover the pictures, it was still a learning experience and I got some good advice, and hopefully made a solid contact in the Android dev world.