Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Default What's the verdict on wood?

So I'll be sending my MX back for a warranty replacement and I have a Motomaker Code in hand. I'm on the fence about ordering the exact combination I have right now, or trying a wood back (either Walnut or Ebony). The main thing that concerns me is build quality. I'm bothered by the wood backs not sitting flush against the top of the plastic where the 45* angle folds into the headphone jack. I know that it wouldn't have been feasible to make that curve one piece wood, but it just seems like a spot with the potential to pop loose/leak if wet.

So for those that have had both wood/no wood. What do you think? My current combination is Navy back/Orange Metallic Accents/Black Front and I completely dig the soft touch back. I strongly dislike devices with slick backs, which is something else that made me consider wood. I have ended up being happy with my original decision but I don't want to discount my opportunity to make a change.

Default Re: What's the verdict on wood?

The wood back is a bit slicker than the soft touch. Mine is 3 months old and has held up really well. Looks just like it did the day it arrived. I'm happy with it. It seems to be really tight around the edges. Don't think the spaces are enough to cause any trouble at all. I'm satisfied with mine.
    Thanked by:

Satisfied with the ebony back on mine. I have a clear bumper on currently.

Posted via Android Central App

Knew I was going to send my ebony one back as soon as I opened the box. It felt like slick paper, and the plastic frame around it is much harder (and slicker) than my woven black back.

The bamboo one may feel better as it is real bamboo. The others are faux finishes

I sent my wood MX back within days of receipt. I went triple black with the solid black back so I could enjoy the soft touch back. Currently though, I have a walnut skin from toast on the back with a black bumper. Sure it's just a skin, but it's actual wood and it's outstanding in durability and natural feel.

In all fairness though, I got my MX wood back for an extra 100 so it was a rip off at that price.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaingo5150 View Post
    I sent my wood MX back within days of receipt. I went triple black with the solid black back so I could enjoy the soft touch back. Currently though, I have a walnut skin from toast on the back with a black bumper. Sure it's just a skin, but it's actual wood and it's outstanding in durability and natural feel.

In all fairness though, I got my MX wood back for an extra 100 so it was a rip off at that price.

That's basically where I'm at right now. I dig soft touch, and the dimple. I still haven't decided. Part of me wants to try wood. It's the direction I initially leaned before they were available. But I do think it's something I'd end up sending back and I hate to abuse Motorola Customer Service.

Huge fan. Had the DE, had battery issues, they offered me a refund, so I ordered an ebony/black/orange accent X and absolutely LOVE it. I really like the feel of the wood, and personally prefer the way the wood is sandwiched under the back bezel. Would buy again in an instant.

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Love mine. I use a clear TPU case during the week at work as I work outside. Had mine since the beginning of Feb. Get comments on it often about how nice it looks/feels.

Posted via Android Central App from my Ebony backed Moto X
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Anybody know of a source where I can find out which stores have the backs on display? I'm a Verizon customer and I stuck my head through the window of the closest AT&T (I pretty much refuse to step foot into one of those stores) and they didn't have one set up in store. I think I need to see one in person.

Should ask in chat on verizonwireless.com they would know where they have display models.
    I have Bamboo back. Just returned a Walnut back because of tiny "dimples" forming.
    Motorola, can't say enough good things about their service. Outstanding.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oldDummy View Post
    Should ask in chat on verizonwireless.com they would know where they have display models.
    I have Bamboo back. Just returned a Walnut back because of tiny "dimples" forming.
    Motorola, can't say enough good things about their service. Outstanding.
    I checked with Motorola, AT&T and Verizon. The collective response today was basically, "Huh!?"

Normally, I'd just go for it knowing that I can swap it out if I don't like it. However, I have a ton of expense over the next few months (Wedding, Honeymoon, Moving Twice). I'm not too keen on a $400 hold on a debit card just out of my own frugality. I think I'm going to forgo wood on the X and save it for whatever the successor to the X+1 is. Wood is tricky. I'm glad it's out there, but the return rate seems high. I'm sure Motorola will get it right eventually so for me, it's probably best to wait until that happens.

Motorola is definitely full of win. They sent me a 10% off accessories coupon just for hitting them up.

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

I was sure I was getting the wood but they came out too late. I already had my X for over 30 days . I'd say if i had the option right now without having to shell out full price,I'd get the wood over anything else. But having said that,the next gen x is around the corner and they could very well be coming out with some cool new backs like metal or leather.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

What it finally came down for me, was looking at a ton of pictures and videos. Fit and finish is a huge deal to me, and there were just way too many wood units I came across that didn't sit flush. It bugs me in the water resistant category and general longevity.