Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need Google keyboard to autocorrect "i" to "I"

When I'm typing an email, I would like my Moto X to autocorrect a lowercase "i" to an uppercase "I" for obvious reasons. I swear that it did this when I first got the phone. Now it seems to prefer the lowercase i and doesn't autocorrect it. I've checked my custom dictionaries, etc., and cannot figure out why this changed.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Need Google keyboard to autocorrect "i" to "I"

That's weird. Mine does autocorrect "i" to "I". Do you have the autocorrect suggestions turned on so that it shows 3 word suggestions above the keyboard? If so, when you tap on lowercase "i", is the center word suggestion uppercase "I" with 3 dots below it? That's how mine is and either I tap on the "I" word suggestion, hit the spacebar or just start the next word (if swipe typing), and it autocorrects the lowercase "i" to an uppercase "I".

Quote Originally Posted by portablealpha View Post
    When I'm typing an email, I would like my Moto X to autocorrect a lowercase "i" to an uppercase "I" for obvious reasons. I swear that it did this when I first got the phone. Now it seems to prefer the lowercase i and doesn't autocorrect it. I've checked my custom dictionaries, etc., and cannot figure out why this changed.

Any suggestions?
    Have you tried resetting the keyboard app? Clearing cache and data?

You might lose your personal dictionary but this helped me fix mine when my keyboard started doing some weird autocorrecting.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Doh! I had turned off autocorrect for some reason. Not surprisingly, turning it back on fixed the problem.