Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Default Odd Battery Drainage

Hello,

I have had my Moto X (Verizon) since just before Christmas, and over the last week, I have noticed the battery has been draining quite quickly. On Thursday I went for a walk, and when I left, it had around 40%, I had it connected to Bluetooth headphones, and was listening to a podcast. Within 30 minutes, I got a the low battery signal, and within a few minutes of that, the phone shut down. I had used these headphones and this podcast app several times before, and never had this happen.

Then today, I charged the phone overnight and unplugged it from the charger around 6:30 this morning, and used it moderately throughout the day, no differently than any other weekend day, and at around 7:00 this evening, I was at 2%, which is really odd. Normally, I would still be at 40-45% at that point in the day. Then, I used it a little more, and it went to 1%. I decided to let the phone drain completely before plugging it into the charger and set it down and walked away. I just checked it, it is now showing 4%.

Any thoughts? Should I contact Motorola about replacing the phone if the battery is acting up?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

-Brian

Default Re: Odd Battery Drainage

Welcome to Android Central! A good start would be to post your battery stats screen (which shows a breakdown of what apps and services are using what percentage of battery), and the Cell Standby screen (which shows you the % time without signal, since poor cell signal can eat up battery life).
    davidnc and Golfdriver97 like this.

Global Posts
    22,132 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

To add to B. Diddy's post, a screenshot of the graph is helpful as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    davidnc and B. Diddy like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure if this is the correct way to post the screenshots, but here's what I took when it was at 2%.
    Odd Battery Drainage-screenshot_2014-04-27-18-54-30-1-.pngOdd Battery Drainage-screenshot_2014-04-27-20-08-07-1-.png

Global Posts
    22,132 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Do you normally leave your WiFi on all the time? I also noticed a not so wonderful cell signal. Is that normal as well?

From a Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Try turning your phone off and before pulling it off the charger tomorrow and see how your battery does.
    The signal also is bad which I drains it faster. Along with the Bluetooth and any thing else.

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

My best guess with limited info (like what apps you have) is that it's due to 1) partial wakelocks (lots of awake time with your screen off) 2) Poor signal.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Thanks for the tips / feedback. I ended up uninstalling a bunch of apps and cleaning up the phone. It seems better now so it must have been something I had put on... My initial hunch is it was an app called "Settings Extensions" that was causing some excess battery usage...

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

I would also watch your Android OS percentage. That's an indicator of a rogue app using up your battery. Somewhere in the 17- 20% range depending on your usage. GPS will also use up the daily battery cycle if you have it on high accuracy.