Issue with changing a contact on the Moto X

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, wondering if someone can help me with the intricacies of Google Contacts on the X? I just changed a contact, my physician to be precise, and the way I have always had it listed in my contacts is my doctor, dentist, ophthalmologist are all listed under Dr. Firstname Lastname so that they are all under the "D" section of the contacts. When I put in the new info it is showing up under his name (first name no less) instead of D, it just seems to be ignoring the Dr. prefix and going only by his name. I've got it entered exactly the same as the others, which are still in the D page. Why is this happening and how can I get this contact back to being listed in D? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, wondering if someone can help me with the intricacies of Google Contacts on the X? I just changed a contact, my physician to be precise, and the way I have always had it listed in my contacts is my doctor, dentist, ophthalmologist are all listed under Dr. Firstname Lastname so that they are all under the "D" section of the contacts. When I put in the new info it is showing up under his name (first name no less) instead of D, it just seems to be ignoring the Dr. prefix and going only by his name. I've got it entered exactly the same as the others, which are still in the D page. Why is this happening and how can I get this contact back to being listed in D? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Stupid question, but do all of them have a period after Dr.? (I know you said exactly the same, just trying to troubleshoot :))

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
No, it's a logical question, and yes they all do including this new one, they all are Dr. First Last. To make it even stranger, the number didn't even change. I switched to a different doctor within the same medical group so the office # was exactly the same, so I went into edit and just changed the old name to the new name, literally the only thing that changed in the contact tab was the name. When I saw it had moved (and it took me a few minutes to find it in its new location) I even deleted it completely and then re-entered it. No luck.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Are all your other contacts listed by first name?
You probably don't want to try this, but if you go in and change another Dr.'s name, does it move that Dr. to line up with first name as well? If so, it's probably an "updated and improved" sort system by Android.
One way to get around this might be to expand the name field (not sure if possible on Moto, but there has to be a way), enter [Dr.] as the first name(NOT the prefix!), [John] as the middle name, and [Doe] as the last name. I tried on my phone, and I could still search by "Dr", "John", and "Doe" after adding a contact that way, and it stayed listed in D.

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, all my contacts are by first name so that's why I was getting them all in D, I actually do have Doctor as if it was a first name not a prefix. I'm hesitant to try moving one of the other doctors now in case this happens to it too, I like having them all under D, I really don't think of my doctor as John and my dentist as Martin :) That was actually one of things I wondered too, if it's some sort of "improved" contacts system by Android? Ugh why do they change things that are working fine, or at least not give you the option to keep it the old way.

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ry I went into desktop, it's the same thing. Google/Android maybe doesn't count the word "Dr." as a first name any more, skips right over it and goes to the actual name.

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
lizardchest please don't apologize, so grateful for the help and that's what it was! Somehow the names had got put into different fields in the contact tab even though - I swear I'm not going crazy lol - I literally just swapped out the old first and last name with the new first and last names. I'm not sure how that happened but my doc is back in his rightful place in the D's :) Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and help.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech