Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T vs. Unlocked

Is there any benefit to ordering the Unlocked version over the AT&T version if you use AT&T? Will you get updates slightly quicker since there's no carrier approval?
    Motorola Moto X 32GB
    Apple 15" Retina MBP
    Apple TV
    Nexus 7 2013

Default Re: AT&T vs. Unlocked

You could. Also you don't get any of the At&t bloatware (which is limited on the MotoX). I always get an unlocked phone because i'm on T-Mobile but if I could get one for At&t i would. it's the same price, I think.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

For the same price, why would you chose the AT&T version over the Unlocked one? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyJohnson View Post
    You could. Also you don't get any of the At&t bloatware (which is limited on the MotoX). I always get an unlocked phone because i'm on T-Mobile but if I could get one for At&t i would. it's the same price, I think.
    Motorola Moto X 32GB
    Apple 15" Retina MBP
    Apple TV
    Nexus 7 2013

Just curious. Is there any "unlocked" phones that work with Verizon? I'm stuck with them because they are the only provider with LTE access in the rural area I live. I always pay full price for my phones, so I can get a new one at any time. My Moto X is locked in with Verizon, but I would love to have a boat free unlocked version.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes, the Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by benhaube View Post
    Just curious. Is there any "unlocked" phones that work with Verizon? I'm stuck with them because they are the only provider with LTE access in the rural area I live. I always pay full price for my phones, so I can get a new one at any time. My Moto X is locked in with Verizon, but I would love to have a boat free unlocked version.

Motorola Moto X 32GB
    Apple 15" Retina MBP
    Apple TV
    Nexus 7 2013
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

No one has the answer?
    Motorola Moto X 32GB
    Apple 15" Retina MBP
    Apple TV
    Nexus 7 2013

Unlocked means you can pretty much go to any carrier that supports radio bands in the phone. If you get just AT&T it just works on them, you can unlock it afterwards but you would still get the bloatware.
    Updates should come faster as well, usually only a few weeks after the release instead of months.

Posted via Android Central App

The Verizon moto x should be factory sim unlocked so you can use it on other gsm carriers. You can't use an unlocked phone on Verizon though unless it is in their database.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thats what I was looking for, thanks! The GSM Unlocked and AT&T have the same bands right, so I shouldnt see any difference in quality?

Quote Originally Posted by matt3166 View Post
    Unlocked means you can pretty much go to any carrier that supports radio bands in the phone. If you get just AT&T it just works on them, you can unlock it afterwards but you would still get the bloatware.
    Updates should come faster as well, usually only a few weeks after the release instead of months.

Motorola Moto X 32GB
    Apple 15" Retina MBP
    Apple TV
    Nexus 7 2013

Global Posts
    3,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

The Verizon version should be SIM unlocked. As per Verizon's deal with the FCC when they last won a spectrum auction. However it will not be bloat free as it's Verizon branded. It also likely has more worldly GSM support and may be missing some bands used by AT&T and Tmobile.

To get bloat free you need to buy either the Tmobile version or developer edition Moto X. However both of those versions lack the CDMA support required by Verizon's network.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    The Verizon version should be SIM unlocked. As per Verizon's deal with the FCC when they last won a spectrum auction. However it will not be bloat free as it's Verizon branded. It also likely has more worldly GSM support and may be missing some bands used by AT&T and Tmobile.

To get bloat free you need to buy either the Tmobile version or developer edition Moto X. However both of those versions lack the CDMA support required by Verizon's network.
    Verizon has a Developer Edition Moto X available. Developer Edition just means the bootloader is unlocked and you are still covered under warranty if you unlock and root it. I assume it would still have the bloat for Verizon though.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The Verizon moto x should be factory sim unlocked so you can use it on other gsm carriers. You can't use an unlocked phone on Verizon though unless it is in their database.

I was not aware of this. I don't have the developer edition, just the Moto Maker model. Even that is factory Sim unlocked?

I was not aware of this. I don't have the developer edition, just the Moto Maker model.
    You might try this:
    How to to access developer options in Moto X? - Moto X Phone Owners Community

Note: I haven't tried this as I already have a developer's edition.

I was not aware of this. I don't have the developer edition, just the Moto Maker model. Even that is factory Sim unlocked?

It should be. Easiest way to try is to order a prepaid sim from tmobile. You do not need to activate, just insert the sim. Sometimes tmobile will offer it free or cheap.

Global Posts
    3,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNM84 View Post
    Verizon has a Developer Edition Moto X available. Developer Edition just means the bootloader is unlocked and you are still covered under warranty if you unlock and root it. I assume it would still have the bloat for Verizon though.
    Completely forgot that there was also a Verizon dev edition.

Global Posts
    3,724 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Yes, it should be SIM unlocked. Verizon iPhones come SIM unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGary View Post
    You might try this:
    How to to access developer options in Moto X? - Moto X Phone Owners Community

Note: I haven't tried this as I already have a developer's edition.
    Oh yeah, I enable developer options on all my Android devices because I guess I'm a control freak. I didn't see anything pertaining to network type in there, but under more settings I can select between CDMA and GSM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitmikeb View Post
    Thats what I was looking for, thanks! The GSM Unlocked and AT&T have the same bands right, so I shouldnt see any difference in quality?
    Shouldn't see any difference in quality what so ever.
    I should clarify that updates times are always different, the Verizon Moto X got 4.2.2 before any other even unlocked I believe, but having stock android it does help with timely updates.

No one has the answer?
    I always love the douchey call out for replies since no responded to the OP's post fast enough for him. Forget that the time delay was overnight and others may be sleeping.

Is there any benefit to ordering the Unlocked version over the AT&T version if you use AT&T? Will you get updates slightly quicker since there's no carrier approval?
    My unlocked for 4.4.2 about 6 weeks before att did. I use mine on att because update are faster generally.

From what I understand unlocked phones get Operating System updates quicker than carrier's branded phones. Once Motorola (or any other OEM) has a completed update they submit it to the carrier for approval and the carrier sometimes can modify it. On an unlocked phone the update comes straight from the OEM. Keep in mind though thst Motorola and Google have offloaded most things to the play store to be updated independently. This makes full os updates less of a necessity because as long as you are already on a modern version of Android most of the features will come before the new version of Android.

No they do not have the same bands.

The GSM Unlocked, and the GSM Developer Edition are essentially the same phone. Both are XT1053. I say essentially because they are the same hardware, use the same roms, and support the exact same bands. The differences are.. the Dev Edition comes only as black face, woven white back, silver accents (buttons and camera ring), and 32Gig. The GSM Unlocked comes 16 or 32gig, and looks can be customized via Moto Maker. Oh, and unlocking the bootloader on the Dev Edition doesn't void the warranty, where as unlocking the bootloader on the GSM Unlocked one does. (Moto does give out the codes to bootloader unlock on their web site)

The XT1053 is also known as the "T-Mobile version." They are pretty much Bloat free. Updates for all the XT1053 (GSM Unlocked, "T-Mobile version" and Developer Edition) happen on the same schedule. Because its "unlocked" doesn't really make it any faster to get updates.

The ATT X is the XT1058. Its bootloader can't be unlocked (moto does NOT give out the codes for whatever reason). It comes in 16 and 32gig, and can be customized via Moto Maker.

As for bands, the XT1053 supports HSPA/HSPA+ on AWS (T-Mobile's original HSPA network was on AWS. Recently they have been refarming 1900Mhz to HSPA/HSPA+ in some areas), the XT1058 does not. The XT1058 supports 2 extra LTE bands which were initially said to not be used in the USA and only be needed if roaming globally, however more recently it appears ATT is starting to use one of them. So you could see a difference in LTE coverage if you use the XT1053 on ATT. That being said there are many doing so happily today (including my Sister-in-Law).

Another thing to watch out for if you have ATT, is provisioning problems with the XT1053. ATT's database doesn't contain the XT1053 IMEI's, so some have reported provisioning problems where they only get HSPA. Since ATT doesn't have the IMEI's for the XT1053, it gets added as a HSPA only phone, hence the problem. If you can get them to update your account with the IMEI of an LTE compatible phone, OR have another LTE compatible ATT phone active, then can move its SIM to the XT1053 you will be ok.
    My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

As for the Verizon Developer Edition....

It too comes only as black face, woven white back, silver accents (buttons and camera ring), and 32Gig.

It is an XT1060, the same as the "retail" and Moto Maker Verizon X. They support the exact same bands, use the same roms and modems, and are the same hardware. They contain the same bloat, and are SIM Unlocked out of the box.

Besides the fact that you can't customize the look of the Dev Edition, and you can use Moto Maker for the other, the only difference is that Motorola gives out the Bootloader Unlock code on their web site for the Verizon Developer Edition, but not for the Verizon Retail or Moto Maker variants. Unlocking the bootloader on the Dev Ed doesn't void the warranty.

Because the XT1060 is SIM unlocked, it can be used on GSM carriers such as T-mobile and ATT supporting Edge, HSPA/HSPA+, and even LTE (depending on the target carrier's frequencies), however you might have to manually enter the correct APN settings for the new carrier, and the phone will still inform you the SIM is from an unknown carrier at boot. You will also have to force the phone to "GSM/UMTS Only" mode. And there are some quirks if you want to use it on T-Mobile.

While the XT1060 and XT1058 support the same GSM and HSPA/HSPA+ bands, their LTE band support differs. The XT1053 supports HSPA/HSPA+ on AWS which the XT1060 lacks (so no HSPA/HSPA+ on T-Mobile with the XT1060 unless you are in an area where T-Mobile refarmed their 1900Mhz spectrum). LTE Band support is slightly different on the XT1060 vs XT1053 as well, but they both do support LTE Band 4, so you could get T-Mobile LTE with the XT1060 and a T-Mobile sim.

Verizon still using CDMA/EVDO for its voice, text and 2G/3G data means that you are stuck using Verizon phones for now. IF/When Verizon gets VoLTE and shuts down CDMA, it might be possible to use a Non-Verizon phone.
    My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

From what I understand unlocked phones get Operating System updates quicker than carrier's branded phones. Once Motorola (or any other OEM) has a completed update they submit it to the carrier for approval and the carrier sometimes can modify it. On an unlocked phone the update comes straight from the OEM. Keep in mind though thst Motorola and Google have offloaded most things to the play store to be updated independently. This makes full os updates less of a necessity because as long as you are already on a modern version of Android most of the features will come before the new version of Android.

Just be aware that some places advertise the Verizon version as factory sim unlocked. While this isn't wrong, it might not contain the same bands as a regular unlocked phone, or your carrier specific model