Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default USB tether with a stock Moto X and stock Nexus 7

Hi guys,

I'm looking to tether my Moto X to my Nexus 7 so it can use its wireless connection. I bought this thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0-20&m1k=vb_ac so I can connect the two devices over USB. But I still can't get the Nexus to use my X's wireless network. I've tried EasyTether, PDANet, etc and I can't get it to work. Has anyone had success with this?

Thanks!

Default Re: USB tether with a stock Moto X and stock Nexus 7

I have been told it's not possible anymore. I struggled with the same thing.

Posted via Android Central App

What wireless provider do you use? I know a lot of them have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth hot spot included in their plans now.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'm on Verizon but have unlimited, so no tethering included for me.

Global Posts
    3,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to tether my Moto X to my Nexus 7 so it can use its wireless connection. I bought this thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0-20&m1k=vb_ac so I can connect the two devices over USB. But I still can't get the Nexus to use my X's wireless network. I've tried EasyTether, PDANet, etc and I can't get it to work. Has anyone had success with this?

Thanks!
    Why not tether your Nexus 7 to the Moto X via bluetooth or as a Wifi hotspot?

I have AT&T unlimited, which means no official tethering, and tethering apps in Google Play work fine.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

For some strange reason, my Nexus 7 and Moto X wont connect via bluetooth. They pair but dont stay connected.

As for wifi tethering, FoxFi doesn't work anymore on the Moto X with 4.4.2. What app are you using (for a non-rooted X)?

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Why not tether your Nexus 7 to the Moto X via bluetooth or as a Wifi hotspot?

I have AT&T unlimited, which means no official tethering, and tethering apps in Google Play work fine.
    Try open garden. It's basically root free Wi-Fi hotspot. Just works differently. I personally don't like it because its a whole lot of extra trouble when I have tethering free with my plan, but it works OK and its an option.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by benhaube View Post
    Try open garden. It's basically root free Wi-Fi hotspot. Just works differently. I personally don't like it because its a whole lot of extra trouble when I have tethering free with my plan, but it works OK and its an option.

Unfortunately, it looks like that app doesn't work with stock, non-rooted 4.4 devices

Global Posts
    3,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

I'm not using any apps. I just go into settings and turn on wifi hotspot. I have a widget from sharp that turns it on and off but that's all it does. I just tested it with my iPhone and it works fine. I do have a developer edition Moto X, maybe that's why it works?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    I'm not using any apps. I just go into settings and turn on wifi hotspot. I have a widget from sharp that turns it on and off but that's all it does. I just tested it with my iPhone and it works fine. I do have a developer edition Moto X, maybe that's why it works?
    Do you have unlimited data with Verizon? If not, then I think that's why you're allowed to tether.

Oh I'm sorry. I guess something changed with 4.4 because I could use it without root on 4.3