Is the Moto X still worth getting?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, im in the market for a off contract android phone. Really, I can only spend about 400 dollars, so im deciding between the moto x and the nexus 5.

The selling points of the moto x for me are its battery life and near stock UI. plus touchless control sounds cool.

However, some worries I have are that its not going to be recieving many, if any, updates going forward, since a new phone will be dropping soonish and lenovo is now the owner of Motorola.

as far as Nexus 5 selling points are the screen and processor and that itll get updates first.

However, I noticed the battery not really being to my liking.

Is the moto x still a good buy right now? or should I go with the nexus 5?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I was going to ask the same thing, I had a Nexus 5 for about 5 months and loved the phone, never had any issues with the battery or anything else for that matter, but I now have the opportunity to buy a Moto X for cheap and I'm considering it! I own a S5, but there isnt a huge difference between the S5 and S4 so I'm thinking of letting my wife use it and I could buy the Moto X.

I think both phones are matched quite evenly, the touchless controls are a pro for Moto X but I believe the camera is better on the Nexus 5

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I was going to ask the same thing, I had a Nexus 5 for about 5 months and loved the phone, never had any issues with the battery or anything else for that matter, but I now have the opportunity to buy a Moto X for cheap and I'm considering it! I own a S5, but there isnt a huge difference between the S5 and S4 so I'm thinking of letting my wife use it and I could buy the Moto X.

I think both phones are matched quite evenly, the touchless controls are a pro for Moto X but I believe the camera is better on the Nexus 5

I was able to get to the end of the day on the N5, but I was pushing like 4 percent left if I had heavy use. But I could probably make due if I carried a external battery on long days or whatever.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I was able to get to the end of the day on the N5, but I was pushing like 4 percent left if I had heavy use. But I could probably make due if I carried a external battery on long days or whatever.

Yeah don't get me wrong, come the end of the day my Nexus was almost dead, having used the S5 for a week now, I really appreciate a good battery. Does the MotoX have a stronger battery performace over the Nexus 5?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah don't get me wrong, come the end of the day my Nexus was almost dead, having used the S5 for a week now, I really appreciate a good battery. Does the MotoX have a stronger battery performace over the Nexus 5?

From what I hear, definitely. And that's the main selling point for me. I'm just weighing if it's worth trading the screen, internals, and quick updates of a N5.

When I read that back, I'm not sure if it is :/

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
My Moto X has the best battery life of any phone I have had, and the most useful features. I would say it is worth buying over the N5, but to each his/her own. Both phones are about the same age, so I would say it comes down to which do you prefer.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I had the nexus 5 at one point. Signal reception was really poor, but that may not be the case with you.

I guess the camera must have gotten better? It was a blurry mess when I had it. The battery life was horrible until I rooted the device and switch to Franco kernel.

I don't have my nexus 5 anymore, I do have a moto X. I unlocked and rooted it the day I got it.... And I have done nothing with it in those terms. It is still completely stock.

The phone just works great as is. It's battery is great, it's every bit as fast as my nexus, and for me, the camera has been great. I have gotten some great photos, to the point I can rarely tell if my photo was taken by my moto X or my iphone 5s.

I sold the iphone 5s yesterday and am keeping the moto X. It's that good.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the nexus 5 at one point. Signal reception was really poor, but that may not be the case with you.

I guess the camera must have gotten better? It was a blurry mess when I had it. The battery life was horrible until I rooted the device and switch to Franco kernel.

I don't have my nexus 5 anymore, I do have a moto X. I unlocked and rooted it the day I got it.... And I have done nothing with it in those terms. It is still completely stock.

The phone just works great as is. It's battery is great, it's every bit as fast as my nexus, and for me, the camera has been great. I have gotten some great photos, to the point I can rarely tell if my photo was taken by my moto X or my iphone 5s.

I sold the iphone 5s yesterday and am keeping the moto X. It's that good.

I'm really considering buying the Moto X even if it's just to experience it. I dont know one person who has a bad thing to say about it. When I mentioned above about the camera, that was purely going on what I've heard elsewhere - is the camera good? the camera and battery are a main factor for me

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1399469921443.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399469974355.jpg

The first photo is a quick snap with the moto X. The second one was my first attempt with the blur effect using the Google camera.

I'm no expert, but my wife is a professional photographer. She says the iphone over sharpens images and lacks detail. She grabs my moto X to take a picture before she grabs here iPhone.

I enjoy the pictures I have taken.

Battery life is outstanding. Close to the galaxy s5, which I had for two weeks.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 116853View attachment 116854

The first photo is a quick snap with the moto X. The second one was my first attempt with the blur effect using the Google camera.

I'm no expert, but my wife is a professional photographer. She says the iphone over sharpens images and lacks detail. She grabs my moto X to take a picture before she grabs here iPhone.

I enjoy the pictures I have taken.

Battery life is outstanding. Close to the galaxy s5, which I had for two weeks.

Seriously, is the battery that good? I need to get one now lol. The camera is important to me, and going by ur quick snaps I dont think I've got anything to worry about - I know its only a phone, if I want amazing pics I'll buy a camera, but as long as it can capture everyday pics I'm happy.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The galaxy s5 has great battery life. The moto X is a close second, if not as good, and half the price. The moto X is much better than the nexus battery wise.

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I have no experience with the N5, but I do recall certain reviews/comparisons noted that the Moto X is superior in being a phone--that is reception, call quality, and especially the audio from the speaker. If phone functions are important, that should be something to check out--Motorola's capabilities as a phone were an high consideration for me.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
As for updates, don't think that because Lenovo owns Motorola it will be impacted. The OS on the Moto X is as close to stock Android as you can get without getting a Nexus. I imagine we'll see at least 1 more major revision, depending on timing. Honestly, I think there will need to be groundbreaking improvements to make a major revision a need anymore, most/all of Google's apps are updated through the Play Store, and they're adding new features through Google Play Services, without having to release an OS update.

freeoscar

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is still owned by Google. The acquisition likely won't close for another 4-6 months or so, which should be long enough to get the next version of Android onto the X. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

Posted via Android Central App

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If leveno is smart, they will leave Motorola to continue its trends, as they have stated they will.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is still owned by Google. The acquisition likely won't close for another 4-6 months or so, which should be long enough to get the next version of Android onto the X. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm not sure why everyone thinks the deal is done already.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
They are two different phones each with its own merit. I also had the task of choosing between the two and finally went with the Moto X. The grass is always greener on the other side and sometimes I wonder if I am missing out, but I have 0 complaints with the Moto X. This is my first Android phone since the Moto Droid 2 (being an iPhone user since) and I really think this is the best phone I have ever owned. The Nexus is the Nexus though, the latest and greatest from Google at a reasonable price. That is whole different ball game.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So, im in the market for a off contract android phone. Really, I can only spend about 400 dollars, so im deciding between the moto x and the nexus 5.

The selling points of the moto x for me are its battery life and near stock UI. plus touchless control sounds cool.

However, some worries I have are that its not going to be recieving many, if any, updates going forward, since a new phone will be dropping soonish and lenovo is now the owner of Motorola.

as far as Nexus 5 selling points are the screen and processor and that itll get updates first.

However, I noticed the battery not really being to my liking.

Is the moto x still a good buy right now? or should I go with the nexus 5?

Moto X is still a great buy right now.