Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PitaBlackZ#AC
  • 1 Post By Prateek Bonde
  • 1 Post By KWKSLVR
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X Back Damage in Case

Hello folks,

Wondering if anyone else has seen this with their Moto X.

It's been kept in an Otterbox Commuter case all its life and has never been exposed to any liquids or excessive heat. I've tried to remove the mark with bleach, hot water and dish soap, SOS pads, nothing will remove it. I called Motorola and they said they've never heard about the back changing color, which I assumed. They also said this now voided my warranty. Odd.

Anyone else had issues with the back of their Moto X?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto X Back Damage in Case-img_20140513_135817.jpg  

Default Re: Moto X Back Damage in Case

My black Moto X has a small discolored area in the top left corner. I don't have any pictures as of yet and I don't know what caused it. I use a Yessoo slim case. It happened after a few days owning the phone. I haven't contacted Motorola about though.
    wxmancanada likes this.

Sounds like a problem with the otterbox. I've used several TPU cases since I got my X in early December and nothing like this has happened to mine.

I got a white weave with TPU case. I've never had discoloring. May be the Otterbox. Check reviews on Amazon to see if other Moto X users have had the same issue.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

yes i have a blue back moto x.. i used a back cover for just 10-12 hrs.. that too at night.. when i woke up next morning, i found that my blue back had patches of the back case... i tried removing it using many cleaning solutions but they just dont go.
    Please help if u can.
    wxmancanada likes this.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Note to self, don't buy an otterbox. That's crazy man! Have you tried a "clay bar". They're used to pull all kinds of stuff off of vehicle exteriors. They're amazing.

Edit: I just saw this thread. Yikes. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/6c1881da6d

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    wxmancanada likes this.

Global Posts
    7,590 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by wxmancanada View Post
    Hello folks,

Wondering if anyone else has seen this with their Moto X.

It's been kept in an Otterbox Commuter case all its life and has never been exposed to any liquids or excessive heat. I've tried to remove the mark with bleach, hot water and dish soap, SOS pads, nothing will remove it. I called Motorola and they said they've never heard about the back changing color, which I assumed. They also said this now voided my warranty. Odd.

Anyone else had issues with the back of their Moto X?
    Sorry to hear about what happened to your phone. That is the first I have seen /heard anything like that .
    Did you mention to them the way you tried cleaning your phone the way you described ?
    I wonder if thats why they mentioned it voided your warranty ?

I havent had any issues with mine by the way but just have mine in TPU case
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for the feedback everyone, looks like it's more than likely a fault of the case, but odd that it's a orange-ish rusty brown color, and not the color the case.

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    Sorry to hear about what happened to your phone. That is the first I have seen /heard anything like that .
    Did you mention to them the way you tried cleaning your phone the way you described ?
    I wonder if thats why they mentioned it voided your warranty ?

I havent had any issues with mine by the way but just have mine in TPU case
    Actually, before I even told them how I attempted to clean my phone, they said the cause was because I unlocked my boot loader. I told the rep on the phone that that obliviously wasn't the reason, he said that it was and that furthermore it voided the warranty.

I told him I understood the warranty would be void - but that unlocking the boot loader wouldn't produce a stain on the back of the phone. He disagreed. I thanked him for his time and hung up.

Just got a "How was our support?" email from Motorola. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by wxmancanada View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, looks like it's more than likely a fault of the case, but odd that it's a orange-ish rusty brown color, and not the color the case.

Actually, before I even told them how I attempted to clean my phone, they said the cause was because I unlocked my boot loader. I told the rep on the phone that that obliviously wasn't the reason, he said that it was and that furthermore it voided the warranty.

I told him I understood the warranty would be void - but that unlocking the boot loader wouldn't produce a stain on the back of the phone. He disagreed. I thanked him for his time and hung up.

Just got a "How was our support?" email from Motorola. Hmm.
    Did they know that your bootloader is unlocked before they told you the warranty was void.

They could claim your warranty is void but you would think they could overlook that fact to cover a physical defect.

The only thing I could think of is that they might want to factory reset your phone (for security of your data) or replace your phone entirely, which would cause them to interact with your software.

Sent from my Moto X

I've had an Incipio TPU (I guess) and plastic 2-piece case on my Moto X since the day after I got it in Nov., no such discoloration.