Summer Sale: $100 off 32GB Moto X, 6/4 & 6/5

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I'd like the additional storage but I think I'm going to wait for the X+1 to get it. That or get the One E8 and an SD card...

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
But for someone waiting for the Moto G 4G LTE (8GB) to ship this week, it is a no brainer to switch to the Moto X, right? OK so it is $80 more.... but it is worth the price difference?

TrackSmart

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
"Worth it" is a personal decision that depends on what you value in a phone (and what you can afford). I use my phone every single day, so for me, I think it is worth every penny of the $80 to have the nicer device. That said, the Moto G is a great deal and the two phones share similar performance specs. Some of the big differences will be 32GB vs 8GB of storage, a better camera on the Moto X, and niceties like the Active Display and Touchless Control on the Moto X. A slightly larger screen in similar form-factor is also a plus in my book for the Moto X. Plus the ability to customize your own phone (colors, wood, etc) is pretty compelling for a lot of people.

So, worth an extra $80? Depends. For me I would say yes. But for someone who just wants the most phone for the dollar and doesn't care about the differences above, then the Moto G might be your pick...

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just bought another used mint Moto X for $335 and this sale got announced the next day.

But for someone waiting for the Moto G 4G LTE (8GB) to ship this week, it is a no brainer to switch to the Moto X, right? OK so it is $80 more.... but it is worth the price difference?
It's very much worth it. Active Display and Touchless Control are two unique Moto X features. Better camera and "wiggle to turn it on". Better performance. NFC.

Overall it will last longer than the Moto G in the long run, except for storage space maybe. I can see the phone being very usable even 2 years from now.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
When I tried to place an order for the 32GB Moto X at checkout it shows the $399.99 price before the $100 discount. Even though I'm selecting No contract the site forces me to select a carrier and they are all priced at $449.99 except for Republic. Why are they charging an extra $50 for a no contract GSM unlocked phone? Next photo shows what happens when I select the GSM unlocked option.

I'll hit up chat tomorrow but thought maybe there was a quick fix so I can complete my order tonight.

Attachments

• moto_1.jpg
    moto_1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 35
  • moto_2.jpg
    moto_2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 34

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Update: The only Moto X you can get for $299.99 is the CDMA Republic branded phone locked to that network. Wow lame move, Motorola.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Update: The only Moto X you can get for $299.99 is the CDMA Republic branded phone locked to that network. Wow lame move, Motorola.

The Republic Wireless model has always been discounted. I assume since it's pretty much locked to Republic Wireless.

Regular price for the 16GB Republic model is $299.00, while all other 16GB models were $399.99.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
cnet does a good job of explaining today's "summer sale":

However, there is some confusion regarding your final price tag. When you select the 32GB Moto X via the customization process, Motorola shows the full retail price as $400 ($399.99 specifically). That means your final price with the sale should be $299.99. But when you're prompted to choose your carrier, the site lists the full price as $449.99 with all but Republic Wireless. Even the unlocked GSM variant takes on the $449.99 price. So that means in all but one case, your sale price upon checkout actually shows up as $349.99.

A Motorola spokeswoman told CNET that the initial page lists the starting price for the Moto X, namely $399.99. But the carrier list shows the actual prices. In the end, the $299.99 sale price is good only for Republic Wireless subscribers. Those of you who purchase the phone for other carriers or buy the unlocked GSM model would pay $349.99 over the two-day sale.

Motorola should certainly make the pricing clearer right from the start so as to avoid any final sticker shock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae