Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Summer Sale: $100 off 32GB Moto X, 6/4 & 6/5

Motorola - A Google Company

Save because itís summer
    June 4-5
    A no-contract, 32GB Moto X is $100 off for two days only starting Wednesday, June 4, at 12 a.m. ET.

Default Re: Summer Sale: $100 off 32GB Moto X, 6/4 & 6/5

I'd like the additional storage but I think I'm going to wait for the X+1 to get it. That or get the One E8 and an SD card...

But for someone waiting for the Moto G 4G LTE (8GB) to ship this week, it is a no brainer to switch to the Moto X, right? OK so it is $80 more.... but it is worth the price difference?

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

"Worth it" is a personal decision that depends on what you value in a phone (and what you can afford). I use my phone every single day, so for me, I think it is worth every penny of the $80 to have the nicer device. That said, the Moto G is a great deal and the two phones share similar performance specs. Some of the big differences will be 32GB vs 8GB of storage, a better camera on the Moto X, and niceties like the Active Display and Touchless Control on the Moto X. A slightly larger screen in similar form-factor is also a plus in my book for the Moto X. Plus the ability to customize your own phone (colors, wood, etc) is pretty compelling for a lot of people.

So, worth an extra $80? Depends. For me I would say yes. But for someone who just wants the most phone for the dollar and doesn't care about the differences above, then the Moto G might be your pick...
    drew_sf likes this.

I just bought another used mint Moto X for $335 and this sale got announced the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by drew_sf View Post
    But for someone waiting for the Moto G 4G LTE (8GB) to ship this week, it is a no brainer to switch to the Moto X, right? OK so it is $80 more.... but it is worth the price difference?
    It's very much worth it. Active Display and Touchless Control are two unique Moto X features. Better camera and "wiggle to turn it on". Better performance. NFC.

Overall it will last longer than the Moto G in the long run, except for storage space maybe. I can see the phone being very usable even 2 years from now.
    drew_sf likes this.

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts

Thanks for posting this OP.
    Bought my 32GB Moto X on Monday. Hopefully they'll match the offer.

When I tried to place an order for the 32GB Moto X at checkout it shows the $399.99 price before the $100 discount. Even though I'm selecting No contract the site forces me to select a carrier and they are all priced at $449.99 except for Republic. Why are they charging an extra $50 for a no contract GSM unlocked phone? Next photo shows what happens when I select the GSM unlocked option.

I'll hit up chat tomorrow but thought maybe there was a quick fix so I can complete my order tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Summer Sale: 0 off 32GB Moto X, 6/4 & 6/5-moto_1.jpg   Summer Sale: 0 off 32GB Moto X, 6/4 & 6/5-moto_2.jpg  
    raortuno likes this.

Update: The only Moto X you can get for $299.99 is the CDMA Republic branded phone locked to that network. Wow lame move, Motorola.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by drew_sf View Post
    Update: The only Moto X you can get for $299.99 is the CDMA Republic branded phone locked to that network. Wow lame move, Motorola.
    The Republic Wireless model has always been discounted. I assume since it's pretty much locked to Republic Wireless.

Regular price for the 16GB Republic model is $299.00, while all other 16GB models were $399.99.

cnet does a good job of explaining today's "summer sale":

However, there is some confusion regarding your final price tag. When you select the 32GB Moto X via the customization process, Motorola shows the full retail price as $400 ($399.99 specifically). That means your final price with the sale should be $299.99. But when you're prompted to choose your carrier, the site lists the full price as $449.99 with all but Republic Wireless. Even the unlocked GSM variant takes on the $449.99 price. So that means in all but one case, your sale price upon checkout actually shows up as $349.99.

A Motorola spokeswoman told CNET that the initial page lists the starting price for the Moto X, namely $399.99. But the carrier list shows the actual prices. In the end, the $299.99 sale price is good only for Republic Wireless subscribers. Those of you who purchase the phone for other carriers or buy the unlocked GSM model would pay $349.99 over the two-day sale.

Motorola should certainly make the pricing clearer right from the start so as to avoid any final sticker shock.