Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Crashing Most of the Apps after 4.4.3 update

this is a total disaster for me. Is there any other way to go back to 4.4.2?
    Android is so bad in backing up every time there's system update.
    Please help guys.

Default Re: Crashing Most of the Apps after 4.4.3 update

Have you cleared your system cache partition? https://motorola-global-portal.custh...he/action/auth

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Have you cleared your system cache partition? https://motorola-global-portal.custh...he/action/auth

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Thank you for the help P.Diddy. I tried but message app still crashes. I use hangouts all the time. I tried using other 3rd party sms apps but still it crashes.
    This procedure will certainly help in my future problems with android.

anything more you can suggest to repair sms app? Thanks for your time.

Make sure you have the latest version, which is 2.1.224. If you don't have it yet, wait for it to become available for your device. Google apps get updated on a rolling basis, so not everyone gets them at the same time.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Make sure you have the latest version, which is 2.1.224. If you don't have it yet, wait for it to become available for your device. Google apps get updated on a rolling basis, so not everyone gets them at the same time.
    I'm running Google Hangouts 2.1.224 and I'm having this exact same problem. Whenever I enter in a conversation, and start typing, Google Hangouts with freeze momentarily, and then crash asking me to send a crash report. I have done this already...

Hmm, I wonder how widespread the problem is? Hopefully we'll know soon. Maybe there'll be a quick bugfix update for Hangouts.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    I'm running Google Hangouts 2.1.224 and I'm having this exact same problem. Whenever I enter in a conversation, and start typing, Google Hangouts with freeze momentarily, and then crash asking me to send a crash report. I have done this already...
    exactly exactly exactly. If you try to install 3rd party sms apps it will crash as well.
    This is not just in hangouts. It's with 4.4.3 (maybe for moto x only).

I can no longer send sms. It's either I have to buy or use a new phone for a while. This is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by lanzfernandez View Post
    exactly exactly exactly. If you try to install 3rd party sms apps it will crash as well.
    This is not just in hangouts. It's with 4.4.3 (maybe for moto x only).

I can no longer send sms. It's either I have to buy or use a new phone for a while. This is killing me.

Also with Moto G 4.4.3

What in reading is the problem is for people who froze the stock sms app with titanium or similar app. Unfreeze the stock sms app, clear the app defaults, and reboot.

Even if you didn't freeze the stock sms app try changing the default back to stock in settings/wireless&networks/more/default sms app, then change it back.

I had this same issue and the only fix i had was to go into the apps and hit the button in the top right corner( 3 dots) and select "reset app preferences".
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

waze crashing.
    Nova launch freezing but not so frequent.
    sms is useless. A disaster. A catastrophe!

Is there any way to back up android like in iTunes for iPhone?
    I need to restore to factory settings. My Motor X is almost useless now so so sad.

How many of you with crashes are rooted? I'm full stock uprooted ever and it was a perfect update for me.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry likes this.

No issues here with 4.4.3 on Nexus 5 and Moto G for hangouts or SMS.

hangouts was updated yesterday, do people still have issues with new update?

also, is this problem happening only with rooted phones?

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Trying clearing app data, wiping cache in stock recovery and rebooting.

I'm not rooted and having the same problem. And now I cannot even enable the messaging app. I disabled it because I do all messaging through the hangout

I have had the inverse with the update. I was having issues with Iphone imessages not showing up in my default texting app. After the update yesterday, they are coming in again without the issues you guys are mentioning. I'm not rooted, use stock moto x sms and nova launcher. My battery is also better with 4.3 too Weird.

From xda
    Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    Problem
    -------------
    Hangouts crashes trying to send SMS after 4.4.3 upgrade. 3rd Party apps do the same. As soon as you start typing hangouts crashes.
    You disabled "Messaging" before the upgrade and can't re-enable it. "Enable" is grayed out in the Settings->Apps menu.

Solution
    ---------
    In the Settings->apps menu - the 3 dots menu has a "Reset App Preferences" option. It re-enables ALL disabled apps. This will fix sending SMS/MMS. You can't have it disabled in 4.4.3 safely.
    Marc P2 and corolla90 like this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
    From xda
    wheeeeew. at long last. This solved the problem. I did reset all app preferences. I was totally pissed off the whole day. A lot of my appointments were messed because of this freaking update.

Next time I have to be careful with updates. Wait at least a week or so before diving in. Or have two phones either different platforms or not.

Thanks a lot.

Nope. It's happening with my moto g's too. I first discovered it on my x then checked the g and it's the same for both. SMS absolutely does not work. Only messaging that isn't SMS ie. Hangouts for G+ users and apps like WhatsApp work just fine. Must have something to do with sim or something. It's not a Hangouts or Google issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
    From xda
    This worked! Wooohoooo! Thank so much First thing I did was try to re-enable the stock messaging app but it wouldn't let me. Didn't think of doing the complete reset. Brilliant.

Yesterday my phone updated; now when I turn it on I have all these stupid screens that I have no interest in; including one for games, which I never play. Before the update, when I touched to display it; it went directly to 1st page of apps, where I have the phone; people; facebook messenger, and everything I use.

Now I have a screen that opens up to some news from the US, then it goes to something to do with a racing game and music; then to battle nations; then to "You Social Network Screen"; none of which I want; nor did I put it there. Then it's screen after screen of the same junk and I can't get to my apps screen I want.

Do you know how I can get rid of all this junk off the phone and get back to it opening at my apps screen?

Damn it is installing as I type and now I wish I waited a little longer. Frankly I was just getting tired of the reminders and caved (and word of camera improvements). If above is true, this doesn't bode well. I hate when updates are steps backward or just a way to get more marketing in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycaholic Music View Post
    Do you know how I can get rid of all this junk off the phone and get back to it opening at my apps screen?
    Sounds like you may have done a factory/data reset. Is your Moto X stock and used on the carrier it was designed for?
    B. Diddy likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast