Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ShoelerDroid
  • 1 Post By nicts89
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wet Moto X

I dropped my Bamboo Moto X in a lake this past weekend. Unfortunately, it does not work. It was in the water for 15 seconds or so and the screen was still working and everything looked like it would be fine. After about 5 minuteshours, it no longer worked. I have it in a bag of rice, so hopefully it will come back to life in a couple of days? I don't know how likely that is, but I can't give up all hope.

My questions is what do I do for a new phone? I loved my Moto x, so I believe I will get another one, but I have to get one at a reasonable price. I have 1.5 years left on my contract, so I am debating buying a new one or if I should buy a used one on eBay. I was also thinking about buying a Moto G as an alternative. Does anyone know if I buy a Verizon Prepaid Moto G, if there is anyway to get it to work on my Verizon Contract. If I could do this, until the Moto X+1 is released, I figured the price on the Moto X will go down significantly. Everything I read seems to say no. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! What do I do?

Default Re: Wet Moto X

For the Moto G, what I heard is you need to use prepaid for 6 months before you can switch it to a post paid plan.

My suggestion is get a used one on Swappa: http://swappa.com/buy/moto-x-verizon

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Thought the moto X was water resistant? The video of the moto G showed it being underwater for :30...

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by cerebasan View Post
    Thought the moto X was water resistant? The video of the moto G showed it being underwater for :30...

Water repellant against splashes/Rain etc.

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

Moto applies a "nano coating" to the innards, but the key to its survival is to power it off and then do as the Op did and keep it in instant rice.

JoeNM84 likes this.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelerDroid View Post
    Moto applies a "nano coating" to the innards, but the key to its survival is to power it off and then do as the Op did and keep it in instant rice.
    Except it sounds like the OP left the phone on after it happened, which may have caused some damage. I guess this is also an advantage for removable battery phones as it would be better to take the battery completely out after it happens. Good luck to the OP, hope it comes back to life. I assume you didn't have Verizon's insurance on your X? Because that would have covered water damage.

That's the great thing about the moto x and Motorola! They have the best warranties I have ever seen! I dropped my Moto x and shattered the screen (totally many fault) and once I filed a claim, they gave me a pass code for an entirely new phone! Go to their website and file a claim. It's fast, easy, and we'll worth your time!

Thanked by:
    phonejunky likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,099 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nicts89 View Post
    That's the great thing about the moto x and Motorola! They have the best warranties I have ever seen! I dropped my Moto x and shattered the screen (totally many fault) and once I filed a claim, they gave me a pass code for an entirely new phone! Go to their website and file a claim. It's fast, easy, and we'll worth your time!

Moto Care isn't offered on the Verizon version.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

No insurance :/ I had always heard it is a ripoff. $6 a month, them when you do need a new phone you pay $150-$200 for a refurbished phone anyways so it is not worth it.

I tried to get the penny two week loaner, but was too slow on the draw and Motorola ran out of codes. It would be great if it comes back to life, but for now I purchased a Z10 for cheap and will give that a try for awhile. I have wanted to try BB10 for awhile and figured this was a good reason to try it out.

I will let you guys know if it comes back to life. As soon as I pulled it out of the water, I turned it off and waited till we got back to land. Once there, I popped off my bamboo back and put it in a bag of rice. I am not sure if that was the right move, but I went with it anyhow. Unfortunately, my patience failed and I attempted turning it on about 5 hours later and no luck. Its in the bag of rice now and I am going to wait a couple more days and try again, hopefully with better luck.

Also of important note: make sure it's instant rice. Regular non instant rice doesn't usually work.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts

Personally, I wonder if Motorola doesn't advertise the coating because of the wood backs. The ones I've seen simple aren't as well constructed as the plastic options. There are gaps and waves and I simply don't see how they're sealed well enough to count under the "water resistant" department. Take a look around YouTube. There are a bunch of videos of Moto X's & G's under water for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    For the Moto G, what I heard is you need to use prepaid for 6 months before you can switch it to a post paid plan.

My suggestion is get a used one on Swappa: http://swappa.com/buy/moto-x-verizon
    It didn't work for me but some have reported being successful in activating it on postpaid.

If you can find one in stores, try to activate the Moto g before buying.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
    Personally, I wonder if Motorola doesn't advertise the coating because of the wood backs. The ones I've seen simple aren't as well constructed as the plastic options. There are gaps and waves and I simply don't see how they're sealed well enough to count under the "water resistant" department. Take a look around YouTube. There are a bunch of videos of Moto X's & G's under water for quite some time.

Glad to hear you say that. My first one had a wood back and there were a couple of gaps and spots that weren't flush. I thought it might have just been mine. Didn't bother me much, but I didn't consider the water resistant factor . My plastic one is perfect.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts

Painful.
    Here's more about the nano coating: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/b...-anything.html
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Tried powering it up today with no luck. I have given up almost all hope, but will update in a few more days.

Your probably out of luck. You have to turn off immediately and wait to turn it on after its completely dry. I think you didn't turned it off quick enough and turned it on to fast.

If the inside electrical components are not sprayed with the nano coating then it will do absolutely nothing to add water resistance. That article listed above makes it very unclear if the inside is sprayed or if it's just the exterior. I'm not about to dunk my Moto X in water and find out.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Moto Care isn't offered on the Verizon version.
    That sucks. Good or Verizon.

Great art stretches the taste, it doesnt follow tastes
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quick update. I tried powering up the Moto X to no avail. I then plugged it in and held down the power button for five seconds and the green led light turned on for five seconds. I was full of hope. I let it charge for a hour or so and tried again. Once again, only the green light turned on. Could my battery be toast but the phone be fine? Is it worthwhile to try to replace the battery? Or is the indication light wired separately and probably not worth it? I don't remember the light coming on before when I would try to power up.

Have you checked the terms and conditions on your home contents insurance? Our phones are covered for accidental damage, loss and theft anywhere in the world under our policy.

Quote Originally Posted by C0deM0nkey View Post
    Have you checked the terms and conditions on your home contents insurance? Our phones are covered for accidental damage, loss and theft anywhere in the world under our policy.
    That is good information, I'll look at mine. Who is your insurer?

Quote Originally Posted by appmy View Post
    That is good information, I'll look at mine. Who is your insurer?

I'm in the UK, currently with Aviva but I've had equivalent cover with every provider I've used over the last 7 years.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

One final update to the Motorola X. When I plug it in, the green light immediately turns on, but no matter what I can't get it to turn on. The green light is all I get.

On a side note, I've had my Z10 for a week or so...I just ordered another used MotoX. Nothing against the Z10, but I rely so heavily on Google and miss Active Notifications and many of the Google service apps. Surprisingly, I miss Okay Google Now A LOT!

Don't get the MotoX Wet!