Google maps freezing

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I have an updated my Google Maps in 2 weeks until the release notes a bug fixes include math freezing while navigation I'm not inclined and I don't intend on updating it because I remember how many times its froze consistently while I was trying to navigate somewhere of course

Posted via Android Central App

delynnie

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
So there was a maps update today. Anyone get it and fire up navigation for a drive? Although the notes don't mention bug fixes I'm curious if they managed to fix our freezing issue.

I did the update and it did NOT fix the issue! Maps for me is not usable at all! It totally freezes, and tells me GPS signal is lost, and then is totally unresponsive! I went to the playstore to uninstall updates, but it only gives me the option of uninstalling the app! If I do this will I lose my blue navigation icon? I have the Galaxy Note 2! Is there a better app than google maps out there because this is unacceptable and I use navigation a lot!!!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I did the update and it did NOT fix the issue! Maps for me is not usable at all! It totally freezes, and tells me GPS signal is lost, and then is totally unresponsive! I went to the playstore to uninstall updates, but it only gives me the option of uninstalling the app! If I do this will I lose my blue navigation icon? I have the Galaxy Note 2! Is there a better app than google maps out there because this is unacceptable and I use navigation a lot!!!

Interesting, I went to my place store and just uninstall the update for it and went back down to Google Maps version 7.0 like I previously mentioned and it's been fine ever since...

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I just went on two 30 min drives with 8.1.1 and no freezes. I'll be on a few 6 hour drives next week hopefully it holds up.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I just saw this thread, and I was actually kind of amazed that this issue exists. I use Google Maps Navigation at least once a day for my job. In fact, in the last 4 days I have had to use it four or five times everyday as I'm working in an unfamiliar area and I've had to go pick up supplies at various places. I have never had Google Maps misbehave on my Moto X. I am using the latest version and update it every time a new version comes out.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, google has been sending out tons of Google Maps update on the Play Store I just haven't done anything updates until they fix the one freezing while navigation mode issue like I said, I just won't update its not worth it if its too much in one piece of software they put out for the phone doesn't work correctly unless you're on 7.1 version

SteveMAW

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issues with the maps freezing and/or just shutting down. I LOVE the new options with the update but I was traveling yesterday and the maps shut down at least 4 times in a 4 hour drive!! I hope they get this fixed fast!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well unfortunately, they haven't fixed it yet I too would have updated my Google Maps app on my phone. Until they fix the one holding glitch I'm not up for any yet just leaving it on the 7.1 version that it is on that which is very consistent and reliable

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone experienced the new version of Google Maps freezing during navigation where the entire user interface freezes and crashes and you have to close it out and we started during your navigation trip? I have been experiencing this quite often and was wondering if anyone else has as well? I love Google Maps but if it keeps on messing up I might have to say try waze

This has happened on my Moto X. It started after I updated to kitkat 4.4.3. It just stops navigating completely. I'll check what version I have when I get home.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was just me. It's been crashing for several weeks. I thought it was because I installed waze but clearly that was not the cause. Hope this gets fixed soon.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Mine hung on me a few days ago while driving at night in the rain in Brooklyn - a place I'm not all that familiar with. Out knew where I was and kept telling me when and which way to turn, but the display was frozen.

On top of that, it kept trying to route me over the Manhattan bridge instead of the Verrazano bridge - a frustrating experience to say the least. I ended up using CoPilot instead.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm one of the lucky ones then I guess.
Since I'm not having an issue with Maps freezing/or shuting down
I am also using the 8.1.1 version.I use it 3 to 5 times a day.
I haven't had it on for longer then an hour at a time the last few months though except once.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For me it wasn't a minute issue, it would not freeze one day and then freeze 5 times in row the next day very inconsistent unfortunately