My 2 1/2 week long Moto X replacement story
06-25-2014 09:31 AM
- Good evening all, I feel like venting about how I have been in the process of getting my Verizon Developer Edition Moto X replaced since May 28th. This started because my camera is no longer showing images, instead just a bunch of purple and maroon lines. Anyway, here goes.
May 28th - Contact customer support through online chat. Tell the agent that my camera is broken and that I have done a factory reset to try and fix it so she happily agrees to create an RMA to send me a new developer editon Moto X. I receive an email from the repair department stating that I will be sent a phone through their advanced exchange replacement program. I wait for an email with the shipping number as I was told that the phone may be a couple days to get in stock before it can be shipped out.
June 5th - After getting tired of waiting I again contact the customer support online and am told that my issue would need to be escalated to a different department and that I would hear back from someone within 24-48 hours. Okay...
June 9th - The weekend passes by so I decide to call first thing Monday morning to see what is going on. I get to talk to someone in the tier 2 part of the repair department to finally tells me that they do not and will not for quite some time have any phones available to send me through the repair department. They do however give me the option to order a brand new phone that will be shipped to be, and I can email my proof of purchase to be refunded the full amount upon receipt of my phone. I am told I will receive an email with the email address of where to sent the proof of purchase but it never shows up. I call back and someone is able to forward the email that was supposedly sent, however I find out after purchasing the phone that the email is sent from a no-reply address so I still am not guaranteed that if I purchase a new phone that it will actually be refunded. At this point it is past the hours of operation for that department so I have to wait til morning.
June 10th - Before I call the repair department I receive an email from Motorola stating that my order has been put on hold. I call the number in the email to talk to an upper tier person in their sales department. This guys name was Travis and he was absolutely outstanding to talk to. I am told that there are a number of reason the system could have refused my order but he wasn't sure and would look into it for me. I am told that the order would have to be approved by a different department after review. After checking to see if he could get a promo code so that my card wouldn't be charged didn't work, he toldme that he would try to research everything and give me a call back and let me know my options on how to continue the process. I get a call back later that day with a few options. The first being waiting to see if the department would reverse the stance on my order as they were in fact getting developer editions to send out within a couple days or could give me a promo code to build a 32 gig moto maker model. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do at the time so he told me he would give me a day to think it over.
June 11th - Travis calls me back first thing in the morning and I tell him that I really want to stick with the developer edition so he sends my information to the "approval" department to about getting my order approved. I am also offered a $50 accessory from their store for my trouble so I decide on the 3000 maH power pack (Non-motorola brand accessories are not included so no docks ) Anyway, at this point I am pretty happy with everything and I am told he would get back with me and let me know about my order approval.
June 12th - I receive an email from Travis stating that my order had been reversed, however the RMA from the repair center was being shipped out. He also states that the power pack is still on the way but since that is from his department that it is being shipped separately. Great!
June 13th - I receive the email regarding the tracking information for my phone that is to arrive on the 16th. No email regarding the power pack.
June 16th - My phone shows up for me to mess with at work!! I open it up and turn it on, only to look at the back and see that it is black (the developer edition is white). And it is only a 16 gig model. They sent me the completely wrong phone. So I call back and talk to someone in the same department as Travis (who is far less helpful and pushes me off to their "resolution" department). I now have my broken phone and the 16 gig black phone. After a long discussion I am told that someone would get in touch with me again in a few hours after figuring out all of the details, but I should send the 16 gig phone back with the shipping label that I was supposed to send my broken developer edition in. I agree. I also ask rather than the power pack, since it obviously hasn't shipped, if their was a promo code available to get someone around the same amount off of an LTE Moto G that I was thinking about purchasing for my daughter. She tells me that she can send me the promo code as well as still send the power pack. After getting off the phone I receive the promo code which is the wrong code and is for a discount on the Moto X and not the G and at this point have not heard anything back from the "resolution" department.
This is so frustrating because I get the impression that Moto is really trying to do things to keep me happy, however it seems they can't get out of their own way and keep screwing things up. I guess I will try to contact them again tomorrow morning. I have spent a lot of time on the phone with them at this point and it is getting tiresome. Anyone else have any issues like this?
Sorry for such along post. I feel better now06-16-2014 10:52 PM
- Golfdriver97ModeratorAmbassadorI haven't had to talk to anyone about cells before, but you can look at it this way: at least they are trying. I have heard of horror stories of another reputable OEM that tongue-in-cheek would have said: 'Who cares?'.
My only comparison is I bought a laptop PC from HP. After a few days, I noticed the brick on the charging cord was getting quite warm. Since it was sitting on my carpet, I thought 'Ok, the heat is being held in by the carpet and rising back up into the brick.".
I decided to call HP anyway to get something on record that I attempted to call during my warranty. The first person I talked to wasn't thorough and just sent the cord. Not the part with the brick, just the cord. When I got it, I plugged it in, just to test it, and I picked it up and set it on a pile of papers, with a heat sensitive receipt on top.
When I moved it a few hours later, the receipt print had lightened....a lot. I called back, got another person and when I told him about the receipt paper, he sent the whole cord replacement to make sure I got the right segment.06-16-2014 11:59 PM
- My experience was quite different. I went through their online process and they also put me in their advanced exchange program (32g Dev Edition, GSM). It notified me that it would ship within 4-5 days. It shipped out next day and I got the phone within 2 business days thereafter. I got the return envelope (prepaid) and shipped my phone back.
Sometimes, I don't like talking on the phone / chat because there is always a greater chance of human error / misunderstanding. The less variables (humans), the better. Good luck with your Dev Ed06-17-2014 05:05 AM
- Unfortunately your experience doesn't surprise me one.single.bit.
I found their customer service abysmal. Flat out terrible. Certainly ranks with the worst I've ever received from a legitimate company.
I called two times with no resolution. Painful conversations in which I'm not sure the other party had the foggiest idea of what the problem was. Very limited English language skills.06-18-2014 01:48 PM
- That sucks man. They will sort it out. Fortunately for me I did not share your experience getting my Moto X DE replaced. It took all of a single phone call and a new phone was at my door the next day. Not just the phone I might add; a brand new one in the box complete with another charger and cable.
Good luck and hang in there, Moto will make it right.06-18-2014 07:21 PM
- Finally got my new DE phone but the repair department also sent me a plain 16 gig model. So I am sending back my broken DE model and see if any charges come if I don't send back the 16 gig. Was thinking about getting the daughter a G but I suppose a free X would be just fine.
Of all the different people I talked to (approximately 10-12), I really only found of them easily understandable and helpful. But reach time the whole situation had to be explained and always took forever.
Posted via Android Central App06-22-2014 05:49 PM
- The only time I had to contact Motorola's support I had a great experience. My front camera had something between it and the glass. I contacted support, and they had me a new moto maker code in 20 minutes. The phone I received 4 days later was brand new.
Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app06-22-2014 10:20 PM
- I stopped reading when I saw Verizon. I hate that company and will avoid them with all prejudice.
On the flipside, I had a GSM DE that I had battery problems with. Sent it to be repaired, got it back with the same problems. So I called to demand a new one but they didn't have any in stock so they offered me a refund - a full refund - after owning it for 6 months. Since I'd paid the much higher initial price (~$700) I quickly jumped on their offer. I'd always wanted a wood backed X so I seconds later placed an order for an ebony wooded X. The new phone came in, I wiped and shipped my old one back and ended up pocketing $250 off of the original price.
I am EXTREMELY impressed with Motorola's customer service.06-25-2014 09:31 AM
- Motorola Android Phones
- More Motorola Phones
- Moto X (2013)
My 2 1/2 week long Moto X replacement story
- By Raguvian in forum Moto G (2013)Replies: 11Last Post: 07-12-2014, 01:10 PM
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 06-26-2014, 11:11 AM
- By ojocell in forum Moto G (2013)Replies: 7Last Post: 06-19-2014, 08:52 PM
- By Claire Robbins in forum AT&T Galaxy S IIIReplies: 1Last Post: 06-17-2014, 02:08 AM
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 06-16-2014, 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD