Dark Lines on Bamboo Moto X

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Just got my replacement for my Navy Moto x. Went with a Bamboo Moto X and it looks amazing. As I looked it over, I noticed the wood almost looks see through. I noticed a couple dark lines that go horizontal across the back. It looks like its under the wood instead of on top of it. Has anyone else experienced this? Ill try to post pictures of it later.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine should come tomorrow. I'll give it a good twice over.

N/M. It's not bamboo.

Posted via Android Central App

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
IMG_20140617_163545797.jpg
Okay I tried to include a picture. I also found a small red dot in the middle of the wood. It is very tough to see the line. It is right under the Verizon Logo.

jaseq

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I also noticed this on mine...drove me nuts. Looks great but I can't help it, ended up switching to the Walnut version.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I wish I knew how they were making these things. I wonder if it's "layered" paper for lack of a better term, that gets pieced together and painted? It's definitely a difficult process, however they're doing it!

Posted via Android Central App

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I think you guys are being too critical about the wood backs. It is made of wood and could have flaws in texture or graining. I just got one with the walnut back and there is one pinpoint mark on the surface. I chuck this to the nature of the material and I'm fine with it.

Go back to the plastic back if you want a flawless surface. :)

heyomayo

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes! I just received mine yesterday, and same thing. I noticed the horizontal lines immediately. It does not strike me as something that is just a natural part of the grain, since it is exactly perpendicular to the grain. I wonder if something is up with the current batch of these backings.

Photo of mine:
2014-06-18_1020.png

I knew it would drive me crazy so I contacted Motorola right away. They are letting me do a redesign/exchange since that's part of the normal return window anyway. My plan is to just order another bamboo one and hope I get a different batch, but if I get another stripey one I guess I'm stuck with it.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Im glad im not the only one who noticed this. I contacted Motorola. The guy I talked to was a complete jerk and couldn't understand the dark lines I was talking about was not part of the wood design. Since this was a replacement in the first place I have to wait to receive my last one. Then I can tart this redesign process.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys are being too critical about the wood backs. It is made of wood and could have flaws in texture or graining. I just got one with the walnut back and there is one pinpoint mark on the surface. I chuck this to the nature of the material and I'm fine with it.

Seriously. I don't see the problems here.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Had the Walnut and it developed slight "dings" in it. Replaced it with a Bamboo. The Bamboo has VERY faint horizontal striping.
Believe it might be from the manufacturing process but don't really know.
Have not let it get to me.
I'm happy with my Bamboo.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It is tough to se the flaws you guys are seeing from viewing the pics posted.
From the pics they look fine to me :)

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I can see the horizontal striping. I think it's ridiculous that people are sending back their phones because of it.

I agree. It's like the finish on the table in the first picture: it has a dent and the grain is protruding through the finish. It must be DEFECTIVE!

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I understand these are very difficult to see in a picture then on a monitor. In Person, you can clearly see the horizontal lines and as you can tell multiple others have had similar problems with it.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I understand these are very difficult to see in a picture then on a monitor. In Person, you can clearly see the horizontal lines and as you can tell multiple others have had similar problems with it.

Well....almost totally correct. You see, I don't consider it a problem.
Consider machining marks on metal; unless it interferes with function, it's not a problem.
That is the way I look at the natural wood backs.
Wood is unforgiving like that: it dents and marks fairly easy.
Consider it a function of it's charm.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon