Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default MOTO X Internet connections Wifi/4G LTE

Should the Moto X internet connection go seamlessly from our home wifi connection to 4G LTE, if both are turned on? There is quite a disconnect, e.g. when leaving the house - getting in the car and pulling away. Theoretically shouldn't the connection just move to LTE4G. Always seems to be a struggle. thanks & best regards

Default Re: MOTO X Internet connections Wifi/4G LTE

You are correct, it should be seamless. Mine is anyways. Does this happen at every wifi hotspot or just at your place?

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

usually just at home -but if going into Target or B&N, I still get that interruption of service when leaving the store. Just irritating -actually love the device in general / certainly not a deal breaker

I too have a slight lag when I get about 300 ft. from my home wifi and before 4G LTE "kicks in". Also, not a big deal....

This is one tiny nitpick I have with Android. (not specifically on the moto X as my old GS3 3 did the same) The phones always seem to want to hold on to a weak WiFi signal rather than switch over to cellular data. Very annoying. I often find myself turning off WiFi because the phone because it keeps trying to pull data from a weak WiFi signal. Example: I like to check traffic on my phone for the morning commute. I get a decent WiFi signal in my garage, but often I'm halfway down my driveway before I hit Google maps, where I have a very week WiFi signal. The phone wants to pull data over the weak WiFi and by the time it relents I'm all the way around the block.

This may not be a problem particular with Android. My old blackberries did the same thing. For whatever reason, my iPhone 3g was the only phone that handled the WiFi to cell transition well.

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app
    Xxwabbit likes this.

Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I bit off topic, but I have had my Moto X since the beginning of February and I have never turned on WiFi. I have unlimited 4G LTE through Verizon and just don't see a need to do so.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

I have no issues with the handoff to 4G. I go for walks in the evening, start my music while on my home wireless and have no problems with the stream, even when circling past my home 2 minutes after leaving.

Posted via Android Central App

The only problem I have is actually because of the way I use my phone. When connecting to WiFi Tasker is set to disable mobile data, and when disconnecting from WiFi it enables mobile data. This process takes about 10 seconds.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stanleywinthrop View Post
    This is one tiny nitpick I have with Android. (not specifically on the moto X as my old GS3 3 did the same) The phones always seem to want to hold on to a weak WiFi signal rather than switch over to cellular data. Very annoying. I often find myself turning off WiFi because the phone because it keeps trying to pull data from a weak WiFi signal. Example: I like to check traffic on my phone for the morning commute. I get a decent WiFi signal in my garage, but often I'm halfway down my driveway before I hit Google maps, where I have a very week WiFi signal. The phone wants to pull data over the weak WiFi and by the time it relents I'm all the way around the block.

This may not be a problem particular with Android. My old blackberries did the same thing. For whatever reason, my iPhone 3g was the only phone that handled the WiFi to cell transition well.

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app
    Not sure if this would help make the transition faster: WiFi - advanced settings - avoid poor connections. I keep it checked.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Unless I mis-diagnosed what you're saying, it sounds like there's some sort of a delay (I'd hope it's more than 15 seconds or so?) when you have a usable connection after disconnecting from wifi. I haven't noticed that personally...

Realize that IPv4 is the big limitations. There's a standard called multipath TCP working its way through the process that would be a big step in the right direction (see: ) but it requires extensions to servers and the kernel. IPv6 also has much of the "hop from wifi to 4g and don't loose a TCP connection" capabilities built into it (so-called mobile IPv6), but IPv6 support looks questionable at best so far - none of the mobile platforms seems to do dual stack well.

In short, non-seamless transitions are the norm.
    oldDummy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by weksa View Post
    Not sure if this would help make the transition faster: WiFi - advanced settings - avoid poor connections. I keep it checked.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    This is probably it. I had the same issue and just checked it. Will see if this helps. I found myself enabling and disabling wifi a lot. A had it unchecked since I was in a place that I knew had wifi but it wouldn't connect due to the signal, but changing the setting for those situations will probably be less of a hassle than dealing with it unchecked everywhere.