Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Default What does remotely disable mean?

I decided to keep my try then buy moto x, but I was reading the FAQ that I never read and it says that people who don't send theirs back could have them remotely disabled. What does that do? Couldn't those people still use wifi and use it as sort of a mini wifi only tablet or do they really disable it meaning no use whatsoever?

Global Posts
    4,216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: What does remotely disable mean?

Quote Originally Posted by NYRbeezer View Post
    I decided to keep my try then buy moto x, but I was reading the FAQ that I never read and it says that people who don't send theirs back could have them remotely disabled. What does that do? Couldn't those people still use wifi and use it as sort of a mini wifi only tablet or do they really disable it meaning no use whatsoever?
    If you are referring to the Try-then-buy offer from Motorola, you have 14 days to try it free. If you don't return it, they'll assume you want to keep it and they will charge you for it.

Source: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...il/a_id/100122
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

OMG BECKY IT'S ALMOST HERE. The greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone is on the verge of release. Unlock bootloaders, flash recoveries, root, and more. Open source, powerful, end-to-end encryption, enhanced by Droplr and Amazon's Secure Content Distribution Network. Best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

It can't be a killswitch, since that's not allowed nationwide yet. But I imagine they would render the IMEI invalid, meaning you couldn't make calls on it. What this also would mean is that the device would essentially become stolen property. So clearly, not a good idea.

With Android Device manager you can remotely Lock and Reset Device Password. I imagine that is what will happen only it will be Motorola doing it.
    It's my immaturity that keeps me young.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGary View Post
    With Android Device manager you can remotely Lock and Reset Device Password. I imagine that is what will happen only it will be Motorola doing it.
    This!

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro