ART or Dalvik

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Today I'd have to go with Dalvik because Motorola has a specifically optimized version of it on the X. In the near future that'll probably change with the Android L release.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't use ART on my Moto X until it officially gets Android L.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't use ART on my Moto X until it officially gets Android L.

I did for awhile prior to the 4.4.2 update, it wasn't bad but I don't think we're realizing any benefit (real or imagined) over the optimized dalvik Moto gave us.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Wow, the relevant posts on this thread were removed and replaced by posts from two moderators. They must have been afraid that Rajeev Kumar5 was going to brick his phone...

Interesting.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried ART when we first got KitKat and at that time there were still some apps that had incompatibilities so I switched back to Dalvik. Since the L announcement I went ahead and enabled ART again and have had no problems whatsoever. No problems with any of the 50+ apps I have installed. Perhaps it's placebo, but the phone sure seems a lot snappier to me. Battery life seems comparable. Even if it is placebo, as long as the phone feels faster to me, why not use it? You can always just switch back if you don't like it or have some apps that don't play nicely yet.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I tried ART when we first got KitKat and at that time there were still some apps that had incompatibilities so I switched back to Dalvik. Since the L announcement I went ahead and enabled ART again and have had no problems whatsoever. No problems with any of the 50+ apps I have installed. Perhaps it's placebo, but the phone sure seems a lot snappier to me. Battery life seems comparable. Even if it is placebo, as long as the phone feels faster to me, why not use it? You can always just switch back if you don't like it or have some apps that don't play nicely yet.

In my experience (switched to ART sometime in December) there were two apps that would not work which were used for locating campgrounds. I switched back to Dalvik for a vacation trip in February and didn't think much about it until this week when it was announced that Android "L" would use ART as a virtual machine. A couple of days later BOTH of the apps I had problems with updated. Switching to ART revealed that they now both work perfectly. I think we will see other apps optimized for ART in the coming months.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
After the Android L announcement reminded me that ART I switched to it just to check it out. It seems great to me. I have no problems with it at all

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I switched to ART shortly after my X got the Kit Kat update, and I've never had any problems. It isn't really any noticeably faster or anything, but I've never had any problems with app compatibilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36