Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ART or Dalvik

Which one is better ART or Dalvik? What is the basic difference?

Posted via Android Central App
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    7,476 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: ART or Dalvik

Today I'd have to go with Dalvik because Motorola has a specifically optimized version of it on the X. In the near future that'll probably change with the Android L release.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,934 Global Posts

I wouldn't use ART on my Moto X until it officially gets Android L.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    7,476 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I wouldn't use ART on my Moto X until it officially gets Android L.
    I did for awhile prior to the 4.4.2 update, it wasn't bad but I don't think we're realizing any benefit (real or imagined) over the optimized dalvik Moto gave us.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Wow, the relevant posts on this thread were removed and replaced by posts from two moderators. They must have been afraid that Rajeev Kumar5 was going to brick his phone...

Interesting.
    It's my immaturity that keeps me young.
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    7,476 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGary View Post
    Wow, the relevant posts on this thread were removed and replaced by posts from two moderators. They must have been afraid that Rajeev Kumar5 was going to brick his phone...

Interesting.
    Are you refering to another thread, possibly this one: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...alvik-art.html ?
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

I tried ART when we first got KitKat and at that time there were still some apps that had incompatibilities so I switched back to Dalvik. Since the L announcement I went ahead and enabled ART again and have had no problems whatsoever. No problems with any of the 50+ apps I have installed. Perhaps it's placebo, but the phone sure seems a lot snappier to me. Battery life seems comparable. Even if it is placebo, as long as the phone feels faster to me, why not use it? You can always just switch back if you don't like it or have some apps that don't play nicely yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    Are you refering (sp) to another thread, possibly this one: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...alvik-art.html ?
    Doh! You are correct. Chalk it up to another senior moment.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderup View Post
    I tried ART when we first got KitKat and at that time there were still some apps that had incompatibilities so I switched back to Dalvik. Since the L announcement I went ahead and enabled ART again and have had no problems whatsoever. No problems with any of the 50+ apps I have installed. Perhaps it's placebo, but the phone sure seems a lot snappier to me. Battery life seems comparable. Even if it is placebo, as long as the phone feels faster to me, why not use it? You can always just switch back if you don't like it or have some apps that don't play nicely yet.
    In my experience (switched to ART sometime in December) there were two apps that would not work which were used for locating campgrounds. I switched back to Dalvik for a vacation trip in February and didn't think much about it until this week when it was announced that Android "L" would use ART as a virtual machine. A couple of days later BOTH of the apps I had problems with updated. Switching to ART revealed that they now both work perfectly. I think we will see other apps optimized for ART in the coming months.

After the Android L announcement reminded me that ART I switched to it just to check it out. It seems great to me. I have no problems with it at all

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

I switched to ART shortly after my X got the Kit Kat update, and I've never had any problems. It isn't really any noticeably faster or anything, but I've never had any problems with app compatibilities.