Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What Texting App are you Using on Moto X?

Hello all, I have a question for everyone as to which text App you use? I'm using textra now which one for the most part was okay I tried reverting back to Google hangout still when i get a text from someone who has a picture ID associated with them manually or facebook it doesn't consistently show up on our active display alarm Moto X. Does everyone else experienced this as well? Thank you

Posted via Android Central App

Default re: What Texting App are you Using on Moto X?

I used to use Textra, and it worked well. But, I tried Evolve and never looked back. love the features and it receives timely updates.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.evolve_sms
    Ryano89 likes this.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eric002 View Post
    Hello all, I have a question for everyone as to which text App you use? I'm using textra now which one for the most part was okay I tried reverting back to Google hangout still when i get a text from someone who has a picture ID associated with them manually or facebook it doesn't consistently show up on our active display alarm Moto X. Does everyone else experienced this as well? Thank you
    Same thing for me. I think it was the 4.4.2 update that made this not work right, I've notified Motorola before that it needs to be fixed, it also doesn't show the person's picture in the notification pulldown either. I still use Hangouts though, haven't tried anything else. It works for awhile after rebooting but always quits showing the profile pictures sometime during the first day. Don't get enough Facebook messages to notice for that.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by alphabets View Post
    I used to use Textra, and it worked well. But, I tried Evolve and never looked back. love the features and it receives timely updates.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.evolve_sms
    Well, thanks for the tip... I'll have to try that app

alphabets likes this.

I personally like Hangouts for my SMS. It has a clean UI and gets new features often. I also use it for chat and its nice to have everything together in one app. Before that I used 8SMS. It is just a modified version of the AOSP Messages app. It is free on the play store.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Evilnut likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Another vote for Hangouts. Text, IM & Video chat all in one clean app. I started using it day one & it has seen steady improvements.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I'm using that evolve SMS at and so far I really like it in the notifications pull down bar I can have an option for applying instantly instantly or later it's a very clean interface runs very very smoothly the one thing that I don't like about hangouts especially in the Evolve SMS is a fact that all my picture of these things perfectly and show up on the active notifications. In hangouts, it has an issue with picture is in general so that's what it was but thats in it works fine with evolve SMS.. Now, if I use Google Hangouts for IM protocol more than SMS or in conjunction with I would agree with you but I very rarely even use it for a video chatting I just don't know enough people that use Google hangouts that's why

Hangouts here. I'm happy.
    It's my immaturity that keeps me young.

Global Posts
    7,593 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I have been trying out the Android L keyboard last couple days , so far so good. I was using the stock keyboard before.

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I have been trying out the Android L keyboard last couple days , so far so good. I was using the stock keyboard before.
    He is talking about texting apps
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Well I must say thanks for one response so far I appreciate it.. But again, I have been using evolve SMS for a day now and so far I love it buy is great response of this is awesome Exedra Exedra us with a quick responses back to get that actually having enter my sms inbox it helps a lot...

alphabets likes this.

I was using Hangouts for a while but don't like how it doesn't display contact pictures very reliably. I don't know if it defaults to a Google+ pic and that's why many of them are blank. Anyway, I switched back to stock.

I will say that Hangouts SMS can handle emojis to/from iOS devices which stock wouldn't. The stock message app may handle that by now but I haven't tested it to be sure.

Sent from my Moto X
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by dmark44 View Post
    I was using Hangouts for a while but don't like how it doesn't display contact pictures very reliably. I don't know if it defaults to a Google+ pic and that's why many of them are blank. Anyway, I switched back to stock.

I will say that Hangouts SMS can handle emojis to/from iOS devices which stock wouldn't. The stock message app may handle that by now but I haven't tested it to be sure.

Sent from my Moto X
    I completely agree with you,,, that's exactly my feeling too I feel that if I'm using Google Hangouts no matter what the source of the picture ideas it should bring up on active display which it never does or doesn't so it consistently doesn't even count if you know what I mean. That have evolved SMS works flawlessly so far and it's only about 5&A half megs a file space which is not too too shabby...

dmark44 likes this.

Default Re: What Texting App are you Using on Moto X?

+1 more for hangouts. I tried other apps over time and find hangouts to be the most reliable.

Evolve is extremely laggy. I don't know how that doesn't bother you guys. It drives me crazy

Thanked by:

Hangouts, very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Bnjf View Post
    Evolve is extremely laggy. I don't know how that doesn't bother you guys. It drives me crazy

I don't experience that at all on my X. If I did, I would have uninstalled by now. I couldn't put up with lag. Not sure why it's acting up for you. I'm stock 4.4.2.

Using the stock SMS program and love it. This is the first phone I did not use an additional app for texting on.

Quote Originally Posted by eric002 View Post
    I completely agree with you,,, that's exactly my feeling too I feel that if I'm using Google Hangouts no matter what the source of the picture ideas it should bring up on active display which it never does or doesn't so it consistently doesn't even count if you know what I mean. That have evolved SMS works flawlessly so far and it's only about 5&A half megs a file space which is not too too shabby...

I have the exact same experience with Hangouts which I loved before it went buggy.
    Evolve is everything I want it to be, so thanks for the suggestion folks!

I'm currently using Hangouts and have not had any problems at all. And it works pretty well with Moto Connect too.
    Adults are just outdated children.

-- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by alphabets View Post
    I don't experience that at all on my X. If I did, I would have uninstalled by now. I couldn't put up with lag. Not sure why it's acting up for you. I'm stock 4.4.2.
    Yeah unfortunately it looks like I'm not the only one from the reviews

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bnjf View Post

I get no lag... In fact, I stopped using Hangouts because the sms function was VERY laggy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano89 View Post
    I get no lag... In fact, I stopped using Hangouts because the sms function was VERY laggy

Must not bother some as much as me
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    I have the exact same experience with Hangouts which I loved before it went buggy.
    Evolve is everything I want it to be, so thanks for the suggestion folks!
    Trust me when I say this, if evolve SMS application were laggy or slow, I wouldn't put up with it I'm not one of those people to let those things get to me. Its fine for me knock on wood. I love Google Hangouts, but like I said that picture ID from it is so consistent that is a pain in the **** until Google fixes that or the source coding of the application I probably won't use it besides I don't use the IM feature all that much only with one friend thats it

I use Chomp SMS. very customizable and has everything i need. Been using it since Android 2.1. it gets regular updates and the developer is quick to address issues.
    D Inc on launch day- Galaxy Nexus on launch day----Dev Edition Moto X better late than never----Love me some Android.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast